Maczfs on Logical Volume

Skrb

Jun 4, 2013, 7:22:04 PM6/4/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

I have followed these steps (ZEVO) for setting up zfs (maczfs, 10.8.3) with encryption. Everything works fine, till I restart the computer.

After the restart, diskutil informs me that the file system is incorrect and refuse to mount my ZFS pool disc (Workspace is a logical disc that contains zpool with zfs):

 **Mount failed**
 The disk “Workspace” could not be mounted.
 Try running First Aid on the  disk and then retry mounting.

When I run the Verify Disc, I get an error:

  The volume <UUID OF MY ZFS LOGICAL VOLUME> appears to be OK.
  Checking file systemChecking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
  Invalid B-tree node size
  The volume   could not be verified completely.
  Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

The cause of the error is that the Logical Volume is ZFS.

How can I mount my ZFS partition? I wonder whether it is not an issue with maczfs

or the way I created my pool (just: zpool create /dev/disk2).

Thanks,

Wojtek

Skrb

Jun 4, 2013, 8:58:50 PM6/4/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Solved.

  1. Create an Keychain Access entry for the LV:

      Kind: Encrypted Volume Password
      Account: <UUID>
      Where:  <DISK NAME> (as in *Disk Utility*)

So, the volume is automatically unlocked on the system start.

2. On the system start, ignore error messages from Disk Utility, choose Eject.

3. On the system start, ignore (CANCEL), pop-up asking for the password for (zfs) LV

4. Get zpool (ZPOOL in my case): sudo zpool import -f ZPOOL

I have misinterpreted the disk-utility error messages.

Regards,
Wojtek

Graham Perrin

Jun 26, 2013, 8:26:34 PM6/26/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Some of this is within, or comparable to, the ZEVO-oriented answer to a question in Ask Different:

How can ZFS be used with encryption on OS X?

> 2. On the system start, ignore error messages from Disk Utility, choose Eject.

In the MacZFS prototype area, we might aim to design things to avoid that symptom.

Regards
Graham