Renaming a pool; what should be simple is IMPOSSIBLE?!?

Wabbit

Oct 7, 2013, 6:19:31 PM10/7/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
So picked up a LaCie 5big 20TB ThunderBolt (nice piece of kit BTW) to replace a slow & problematic SansDigital TowerRaid TR5UT+B (recently started throwing i/o errors + reboot after working great for > 1yr).

Both have 5 4TB drives, so wishing to simply clone the old and shelf it, created a new pool NewMedia to receive the contents of the old pool Media and ran rsync...

[2 days later...]

NewMedia has all files from Media; nice. Now wish to simply rename NewMedia so that all former refs and links work as before BUT...

That is apparently not possible!? :O

Have searched the group, checked the wiki, and tried all of the following:

- tried Finder (nope),
- tried zfs rename (reboots oops!),
- tried export and import (result: no pools found)
- tried import -d /dev (as suggested in one thread, result: no pools available to import),
- tried zfs inherit (invalid dataset name);
- tried zfs set mountpoint (invalid dataset name);

All attempts to no avail! Is something so basic as renaming a pool really that difficult for such an advanced FS?

Am flabbergasted (and that doesn't happen often!)

I suppose I could recreate the pool and see if somehow can have 2 pools with the same name at the same time, then run the 2day copy process again, but would rather not for obvious reasons, the main one being that it seems SO VERY STUPID TO HAVE TO DO THAT, esp. for something so simple in concept.

Any advice otherwise?

Jason Belec

Oct 7, 2013, 7:50:45 PM10/7/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
It's easy. Export the pool then

zpool import oldpoolname newpoolname

This is available under al ZFS documentation and has existed since the beginning.

Jason
Sent from my iPhone
--

---

Wabbit

Oct 7, 2013, 7:55:32 PM10/7/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

Thanks; i swears I tried that (3rd item on the below list of things tried) but this time, yes it worked swimmingly!

Thanks again,

Wabbit

LONG LIVE MAC-ZFS! :)

Jason Belec