[ADMIN] The zfs-macos group will be shut down

Harald Hanche-Olsen

Nov 9, 2016, 9:54:09 AM11/9/16
to zfs-macos
The mailing list / google group zfs-...@googlegroups.com has hardly had any messages in the past couple of years. I am therefore going to shut the group down.

To be precise, no more postings will be allowed, but the group will remain for archival purposes for as long as google will let it.

It is my understanding that https://openzfsonosx.org is the place to go to for information about ZFS on macOS. There you will find links to a forum (https://openzfsonosx.org/forum/), which serves the purposes of this mailing list. There are also download links, a mac-specific wiki, and a link to the main OpenZFS web site.

I will allow a grace period of a few days before I turn posting off, in case anyone wants to add anything to the previous paragraph.

– Harald

Bjoern Kahl

Nov 13, 2016, 4:52:46 AM11/13/16
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Harald,
dear All,

Am 09.11.16 um 15:54 schrieb Harald Hanche-Olsen:

as the last maintainer of MacZFS, I agree that this list has
served its purpose and can be switch to archive-only mode.
The same goes for the corresponding devel list
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/maczfs-devel

Anyone who wants to use ZFS on MacOSX, and still uses the outdated bits
of the original MacZFS, is strongly encouraged to migrate to the much
more modern and actively maintained O3X packages available from our
friends and successors at https://openzfsonosx.org.

I would like take the opportunity to say a big "thank you" to all the
nice people I had the pleasure to meet on the old MacZFS project and
this mailing list. I really enjoyed the work with you and on MacZFS -
you had been a great community! Daniel, Alex, and many others, I hope
you all do well.

I also would like to thank our friends at https://openzfsonosx.org for
carrying on ZFS on Mac under the new name "O3X". Lund, you did an
amazing job in creating a new, modern ZFS for MacOS, based on the code
base from ZoL as reference, in just a few months. And although we do
had quite a number of technical disagreements (and an obviously
incompatible personal style), which - combined with my limited
availability - led to the founding of O3X and me dropping out of ZFS
for Mac, I am glad that ZFS on MacOS continues to live a prosperous
life in your hands.

I wish all former MacZFS contributors and users and all the people
now active at openzfsonosx.org all the very best.

> To be precise, no more postings will be allowed, but the group will remain for archival purposes for as long as google will let it.
>
> It is my understanding that https://openzfsonosx.org is the place to go to for information about ZFS on macOS. There you will find links to a forum (https://openzfsonosx.org/forum/), which serves the purposes of this mailing list. There are also download links, a mac-specific wiki, and a link to the main OpenZFS web site.

The original code and Wiki has been archived to GitHub after Google
Code closed a good year ago. The archive is currently accessible at
https://github.com/BjoKaSH/maczfs-archive and may move at some time
to the old, unused https://github.com/MacZFS organization on GitHub as
https://github.com/MacZFS/maczfs-archive

> I will allow a grace period of a few days before I turn posting off, in case anyone wants to add anything to the previous paragraph.

Ok, please allow few more for possible replies, then switch posting of.

> – Harald

Best regards

Björn

--
| Bjoern Kahl +++ Siegburg +++ Germany |
| "mls@-my-domain-" +++ www.bjoern-kahl.de |

signature.asc

Harald Hanche-Olsen

Nov 13, 2016, 5:18:00 AM11/13/16
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

as the last maintainer of MacZFS, I agree that this list has
served its purpose and can be switch to archive-only mode.
The same goes for the corresponding devel list
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/maczfs-devel

Someone else will have to shut down that list. I have no admin rights there, nor did I ever even subscribe to it.

– Harald

Harald Hanche-Olsen

Nov 16, 2016, 12:39:11 PM11/16/16
to zfs-macos
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen (mailto:han...@math.ntnu.no)
Date: 9 November 2016 at 15:54:03

> To be precise, no more postings will be allowed, but the group will remain for archival purposes for as long as google will let it.
> […]
> I will allow a grace period of a few days before I turn posting off, in case anyone wants to add anything to the previous paragraph.

A week has passed, and I hereby declare this group as closed. For starters, I will turn on moderation on all posts. Looking around the settings, it is not clear that I can close it any more thoroughly than that.

Be aware, though, that I will reject almost any new post to the group from now on. Exceptions will be exceedingly rare, possibly nonexisttet. And after a few more weeks, they won't happen at all.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

– Harald