Google Drive on MacZFS won't work

Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting

May 2, 2012, 4:21:17 AM5/2/12
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just tried to install Google Drive on my Macbook Pro with ZFS mounted
on /Users/larstobi. The setup wizard complains:

'There is a problem with your selection.
The folder /Users/larstobi/Google Drive can't be used. Please select
another folder.'

When I changed the folder to a HFS filesystem, it all worked fine.
Dropbox and Box.net already run perfectly on ZFS, so what's so special
about Google Drive?

I suspect they're doing a check on the filesystem to ensure it's on a
HFS volume. Would there be any reason they want to block other
filesystems than HFS from using Google Drive?

Alex Blewitt

May 2, 2012, 4:33:16 AM5/2/12
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On 2 May 2012, at 09:21, Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting wrote:

> 'There is a problem with your selection.
> The folder /Users/larstobi/Google Drive can't be used. Please select
> another folder.'
>
> When I changed the folder to a HFS filesystem, it all worked fine.
> Dropbox and Box.net already run perfectly on ZFS, so what's so special
> about Google Drive?
>
> I suspect they're doing a check on the filesystem to ensure it's on a
> HFS volume. Would there be any reason they want to block other
> filesystems than HFS from using Google Drive?

We should probably put a note on the wiki to this effect.

Chances are it's due to missing spotlight support (well, fseventd under the covers). This allows applications to monitor the state of changing filesystems, and so presumably, to allow technologies to sync changed files elsewhere.

MacZFS currently doesn't support this (it's been 'helpwanted' for a few years, so don't hold your breath :) but I imagine that's the main reason. It might work for the other commercial ZFS solution but even then there might be restrictions as to why it doesn't work.

Alex

Jason

May 2, 2012, 7:45:41 AM5/2/12
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
As Alex mentions.

Try this, make an image, format HFS+, mount it and direct GoogleDrive to it. Now you may have to store this image at the first level of your ZFS filesystem, but it should work.

Note: I don't use Google for much more than search, so this hasn't been specifically tested.

Jason
Sent from my iPad

Graham Perrin

Aug 11, 2013, 2:38:03 PM8/11/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 2 May 2012 09:33:16 UTC+1, AlBlue wrote:

We should probably put a note on the wiki to this effect.

+1

Chances are it's due to missing spotlight support (well, fseventd under the covers) … I imagine that's the main reason. It might work for the other commercial ZFS solution but even then there might be restrictions as to why it doesn't work.

Google Drive does not work with ZFS with ZEVO Community Edition 1.1.1.

Jason Belec

Aug 11, 2013, 2:50:29 PM8/11/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Yet another reason I avoid Google stuff. Dropbox seems fine and happy. So does Box and SugarSync and Amazon storage when one likes to converse more directly with storage in the cloud.

Of course once again we seem to be mixing in Greenbytes with our community and on a feature/issue stance this is bad karma. It's like assuming Microsoft and Apple apps should work whichever environment one chose. ;)

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad

---

Graham Perrin

Aug 19, 2013, 2:48:09 PM8/19/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, 11 August 2013 19:50:29 UTC+1, jasonbelec wrote:

… mixing in Greenbytes with our community and on a feature/issue stance this is bad karma. …

Please explain.

Jason Belec

Aug 19, 2013, 3:32:39 PM8/19/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
These are two entirely different projects. Why attempt to combine them at all? This brings about confusion rather than simplification.

Sent from my iPhone

Graham Perrin

Aug 19, 2013, 9:40:56 PM8/19/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 19 August 2013 20:32:39 UTC+1, jasonbelec wrote:

… confusion rather than simplification.

Where there are shared experiences, what's the harm?

If you can give an example of confusion, I'll have a better understanding of your concern.

Jason Belec

Aug 19, 2013, 9:50:01 PM8/19/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry I see it as rather simple. Both these versions have little in common, either in feature set or use in OS X environment. So posting issues from one onto the forum for the other is pointless. It just means that people may find incorrect information and relationship when searching for pertinent info here for MacZFS.

I think posting GreenBytes on their forum is an excellent idea. They might even be able to help.

Jason
Sent from my iPhone

Graham Perrin

Aug 20, 2013, 4:25:45 PM8/20/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
I do encourage discussion of MacZFS in MacZFS groups such as this, but a fair amount of stuff that's specific to MacZFS (usually the prototype) has been posted, by other people, to the ZEVO support forum.

To the best of my knowledge I have never sought help for ZEVO from this MacZFS group.

Jason, is there a particular post that you consider to be pointless? Please give a link, an example. I'd like to understand your concern.