Mavericks fix

Rico Rojas

Oct 25, 2013, 10:16:30 PM10/25/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
new to the group,  but Mavericks has really hosed up my ZFS setup.  Now after the a minute of file copy of any sort, my machine get very slow, I loose networking, kernel_task memory goes up to 28GB of the 32GB in the system, aka system dies.  I'm stuck and lost at this point, is there any thing I can do to fix this, or at least get the data off the zDrive.  I was using ZEVO, but after Mavericks I had to switch to zfs-macos.  I did a version upgrade (wish i had not done that), so now even when I boot to my backup, i can't see my drive because the ZFS version is too high for the last community release of ZEVO is to low.

any help super appreciated.

Cheers,

Rico

intel i7 37xxk - 3.5GHz
32 GB 1600 ram
4 x 2GB 7200 RPM disks in ZFS RAIDz1
1 32GB PCI flash drive (using as disk cache)

Dave Cottlehuber

Oct 26, 2013, 4:06:16 AM10/26/13
to Rico Rojas, zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On 26. Oktober 2013 at 04:16:32, Rico Rojas (rick...@gmail.com) wrote:

>new to the group, but Mavericks has really hosed up my ZFS setup. Now
>after the a minute of file copy of any sort, my machine get very slow, I
>loose networking, kernel_task memory goes up to 28GB of the 32GB in the
>system, aka system dies. I'm stuck and lost at this point, is there any
>thing I can do to fix this, or at least get the data off the zDrive. I was
>using ZEVO, but after Mavericks I had to switch to zfs-macos. I did a
>version upgrade (wish i had not done that), so now even when I boot to my
>backup, i can't see my drive because the ZFS version is too high for the
>last community release of ZEVO is to low.

Ouch.

>any help super appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Rico
>
>intel i7 37xxk - 3.5GHz
>32 GB 1600 ram
>4 x 2GB 7200 RPM disks in ZFS RAIDz1
>1 32GB PCI flash drive (using as disk cache)

Hi Rico,

I assume you mean you install zfs-osx? maczfs (v28 stuff) has been fine for me on mavericks BTW, although yesterday I upgraded my remaining box to “the new fork” zfs-osx master.

For zfs-osx, I’d suggest you compile from source, last day’s patches have for me a 15x speed up on this type of activities. Seeing as you’re already familiar with zfs, http://zerobsd.tumblr.com/post/62586498252/os-x-with-zfs should be sufficient instructions.

Alternatively I’m guessing this is a hackintosh, so if you just want to “get off” your best bet is boot into PCBSD 9.2 memory disk http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/ or use smartos or omnios, consider doing something like splitting your z1 mirror and then duplicating the FS “back” to a lower zpool/zfs version on the now freed up mirror drives. Or buy more disks & make a new zpool without risking data loss.

I also guess you’ll have learned from your current experience, and have both a backup handy and do some testing before blithely migrating versions in future ;-).

I’ve got irc open on #mac-zfs if you get stuck and want some more information.

--
Dave Cottlehuber
Sent with Airmail

Jason Belec

Oct 26, 2013, 6:57:39 AM10/26/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
What Dave said.

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad
> --
>
> ---

Rico Rojas

Oct 26, 2013, 4:20:39 PM10/26/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
I will try mazZFS-74.3.0, but the new fork of zfs-osx is what I upgraded to to get in the mess I'm in :)

Jason Belec

Oct 26, 2013, 6:35:40 PM10/26/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Well that is not something you should have attempted without a backup.

For the version you do have, daily builds/installs are necessary as developers resolve issues, but you should have understood before installing that this was in development versions. Many of us are running these daily without loss of any data accepting the issues, that said overall the new builds are very impressive. However, no one has claimed they were plug and play, yet.

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad

Daniel Bethe

Oct 26, 2013, 6:43:17 PM10/26/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, 26 October 2013, 17:36, Jason Belec <jason...@belecmartin.com> wrote:

>Well that is not something you should have attempted without a backup.

>For the version you do have, daily builds/installs are necessary as developers resolve issues, but you should have understood before installing that this was in development versions. Many of us are running these daily without loss of any data accepting the issues, that said overall the new builds are very impressive. However, no one has claimed they were plug and play, yet.

Yeah, it's not even a release yet; it's a prototype.  Which is why it has its own mailing list, not this one.