Y-Writer and One Drive?

Twisties

Sep 15, 2015, 7:30:17 AM9/15/15
to yWriter
I've been storing my Y-Writer project on my One Drive account and have been accessing it from both the laptop and the desktop. Was on the desktop tonight and wanted to review a chapter (3 scenes) that was written via the laptop ... only to find the entire chapter is not in the project while on the desktop. Its the same project even though accessed on different machines. Desktop is Windows 10 and laptop is Win 7. Both access the file via the One Drive sync app, rather than via the onedrive.com website. If accessed via the website, the project files are unviewable on the laptop, if accessed via y-writer on the laptop, it tries to download the file rather than open the rtf files in the project. Aggh

Any suggestions / thoughts?

Dave Lynch

Sep 15, 2015, 7:32:34 AM9/15/15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Does the same thing happen if you use Google Drive or Box.com? Just thinking - does it help to faultfind and either rule out (or in) OneDrive?

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Twisties <twist...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been storing my Y-Writer project on my One Drive account and have been accessing it from both the laptop and the desktop. Was on the desktop tonight and wanted to review a chapter (3 scenes) that was written via the laptop ... only to find the entire chapter is not in the project while on the desktop. Its the same project even though accessed on different machines. Desktop is Windows 10 and laptop is Win 7. Both access the file via the One Drive sync app, rather than via the onedrive.com website. If accessed via the website, the project files are unviewable on the laptop, if accessed via y-writer on the laptop, it tries to download the file rather than open the rtf files in the project. Aggh

Any suggestions / thoughts?

Dain Unicorn

Sep 15, 2015, 7:55:23 AM9/15/15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you have out of sync copies in all three places.  Possibly with a sync conflict.

Recommend renaming each local copy with the computers name and checking both for faults.

This is typical when a sync fails silently or is not permitted to finish (closed the lid on the laptop?) most cloud services will decline to sync if conflicts are detected.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 15, 2015, at 07:30, Twisties <twist...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've been storing my Y-Writer project on my One Drive account and have been accessing it from both the laptop and the desktop. Was on the desktop tonight and wanted to review a chapter (3 scenes) that was written via the laptop ... only to find the entire chapter is not in the project while on the desktop. Its the same project even though accessed on different machines. Desktop is Windows 10 and laptop is Win 7. Both access the file via the One Drive sync app, rather than via the onedrive.com website. If accessed via the website, the project files are unviewable on the laptop, if accessed via y-writer on the laptop, it tries to download the file rather than open the rtf files in the project. Aggh

Any suggestions / thoughts?

Dave Shaw

Sep 15, 2015, 8:08:19 AM9/15/15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Dain is correct.  Your laptop didn't sync with the OneDrive cloud.  You should have sync errors on the laptop.  Right-click the OneDrive icon in your system tray and View sync problems.  Clear them up and you should be okay.

Dave Shaw

Sep 16, 2015, 7:40:35 AM9/16/15
to yWriter

On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 21:39:20 UTC+10, Twisties wrote:
There are no local copies to rename on either machine. Out of curiosity, I went into the RTF5 folder, and found the rtf files are there, but they are not associated with any particular chapter. Copied and pasted them to a new scene and saved / closed and re-opened the program, they appeared to be there this time.

I had already checked the syc error situation on the laptop, and there was nothing showing in the notifications area.

John Kovacich

Sep 20, 2015, 12:19:57 PM9/20/15
to yWriter
I use drop box and sync in and out of drop box for both my desktop and my laptop.  On occasion, I forget to sync one or the other.  If I sync both machines TO dropbox without syncing from dropbox between them, I can usually goto dropbox (web interface) and find the lost scenes.  Perhaps onedrive works the same.  If, however, I sync from the cloud to my drive without every syncing up to the cloud, my local files are overwritten and lost.  Hope this is not what happened to you.

Want peace on Earth?  Stop having peace talks and try having peace listens instead.

hcreformer

Sep 27, 2015, 12:32:34 PM9/27/15
to yWriter
I've been using Drobox for this purpose.  I typically work on the local machine (desktop or laptop) and keep everything in my y-writer work folder.  When I'm done, I drop the folder into Dropbox and say yes, replace/update all the files that have the same name.  Then, when I go to my other machine, the dropbox folder has the synchronized folder it it, which has been downloaded/updated from the dropbox.com site.

I'll either open the project located in the dropbox folder, or copy the entire folder to replace the one on my hard disc.  If I open the one in the dropbox folder, I'll save it to another folder on my computer, as well as to the dropbox folder. That way I always have a local and cloud backup.  Hope this helps.

John

Todd Carnes

Sep 27, 2015, 3:49:34 PM9/27/15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

Or... Avoid the whole cloud hassle by using a thumb drive.

KL

Sep 27, 2015, 8:02:44 PM9/27/15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
It's always good to have an offsite backup and the cloud is good for that.

I have four copies of my work; my main one on my desktop, another on my
laptop for when I want to write and I'm not at home, a backup on my
thumbdrive for synching the two, and one in dropbox as an offsite backup.

--
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Carl Maniglia

Sep 28, 2015, 1:10:52 AM9/28/15
to yWriter
Until you lose it or the files become corrupted right when you need them :(

I've used Dropbox with yWriter for several years now and not once (touch wood) encountered a problem. Dropbox maintains a local folder on your hard drive as well as synching to the Cloud folder so you have an extra instant backup. Literally the only thing you have to remember is to close yWriter and give Dropbox time to synch (which normally takes a few seconds) to the cloud before closing the laptop. Given that you have to dismount a thumbdrive before you pull it out, or risk losing your data, I don't really see much difference except when there's no Wifi access :)

Regards

Carl