Likelihood of a new release?

Brent Northam

Nov 10, 2014, 11:52:58 AM11/10/14
to yuicom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joey, et al.  The last release on yuicompressor 2.4.8 was some time ago.  Is there a roadmap in mind for cutting a new release with the changes that have been committed since?  I also admit a selfish desire to include, in an official release, the fix proposed in https://github.com/yui/yuicompressor/pull/107.  Thanks, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Best,
Brent

Joey Smith

Nov 14, 2014, 2:41:24 PM11/14/14
to yuicom...@googlegroups.com
Brent:
Thanks for asking. I'll start with the good news: 107 has been merged! I'm still a bit wary of it, as it did a lot more than was on the label - at the very least, it introduced issue 172 - but ultimately decided it was a better step forward than doing nothing at all; it will definitely be part of the next release, or you can just grab HEAD in the meantime.

I'd like to cut a new release, tentatively numbered 2.4.9, shortly after the first of the year. This will probably be the last in the 2.x chain, with a 3.x coming sometime in late 2015 or early 2016, with the CSS minifier based on the W3C's SAC, rather than the huge pile of regular expressions we have today. The regex code is showing it's age now, and is really struggling to keep up with modern CSS. However, to be really comfortable with making that happen, I need a LOT more test-cases for our CSS code. Anything you can provide, or encourage others to provide, would be greatly appreciated.

Northam, Brent

Nov 14, 2014, 6:27:18 PM11/14/14
to Joey Smith, yuicom...@googlegroups.com
Hey I appreciate the update, thanks!  I'll give a closer look at some of the open issues, and see if my team or I can provide a contribution of fixes or test cases to help with the 2.x migration, thanks again.

Best,
Brent

Brent Northam
Director of Software Development
A Q U E N T
Marketing and design staffing solutions for today’s biggest brands

The Revolution in Digital Design Education: Aquent Gymnasium