[YouTube-API-Announce] Java YouTube Developers: Update Your Libraries

Jeffrey Posnick

May 17, 2010, 3:21:05 PM5/17/10
to YouTube APIs Announcement Forum
If you access the YouTube API via Java using the official Google Data
Client Library (http://code.google.com/p/gdata-java-client/), we want
to let you know about upcoming changes to the YouTube API that may
affect your existing code. Developers who are using a client library
in a language other than Java, or who use Java but access the YouTube
API without using the Google Data Client Library will not be affected
by this change.

Versions of the Java Google Data Client Library earlier than 1.41.2
(the most recent release as of this writing) are particularly picky
about the data they receive back from the YouTube API and deserialize
into Java objects. If our YouTube API servers are updated to start
including an additional attribute for an existing element in their
Atom XML responses, older versions of the Java client library will
throw a deserialization exception complaining about this extra data.
While this might be considered beneficial in some contexts, it
unfortunately precludes our ability to extend the YouTube API’s
functionality by returning back new data in its responses. We recently
ran into this issue while trying to launch a new totalUploadViews
attribute, for instance.

We removed the totalUploadViews attribute soon after adding it, but
progress can’t be delayed forever. If you’re using the Java Google
Data Client Library, we strongly recommend that you update your
installation (http://code.google.com/p/gdata-java-client/downloads/
list) to the 1.41.2 (or newer) release. We plan on re-adding the
totalUploadViews attribute in mid-July, and other new attributes may
follow. If you haven’t updated to a compatible version of the Java
client library by mid-July, your existing Java code will start
throwing exceptions when you retrieve an Atom XML response containing
the new attribute, such as a request for a user’s YouTube profile.

A special note to developers using YouTube Direct (http://
code.google.com/p/youtube-direct/): because YouTube Direct is built on
top of the Java client library, it also needs to be updated to use a
compatible release. The latest archived downloads (http://
code.google.com/p/youtube-direct/downloads/list) of the source code
for both the 1.0 and 2.0 releases, as well as the SVN source, have
been updated for compatibility. Please take the time to update your
YouTube Direct deployment in App Engine before mid-July.

Cheers,
—Jeff Posnick, YouTube API Team
YouTube is hiring! ~ http://google.com/jobs/workyoutube