Objectives for Girls and Young Women working group

Emily Rodriguez

Nov 28, 2010, 4:18:34 PM11/28/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com, ne...@ukycc.org, Kimberley D.C. Schroder

Here are notes from our working group meeting today.  Please discuss and give feedback!   You are welcome to add more statements, goals, and ideas.

Objectives of YOUNGO Girls and Young Women working group at COP16:

1.)   Network with youth and NGOs at COP16 who are interested in climate change issues pertaining to girls and young women.

2.)   Create awareness about the vulnerability of girls and young women to climate change and get more people talking about the intersection between youth, gender and climate change.

3.)   Get involved with UNFCCC gender caucus (9am meeting daily at COP16)

http://www.gendercc.net/policy.html

4.)   Attend different policy working group meetings to ensure that girls and young women are included in climate change solutions.

Long term goal:

Mention of gender equity in the UNFCCC or Kyoto Protocol.

Statements:

Girls and young are amongst the most vulnerable to the negative impacts of climate change. These impacts can limit girls’ access to education and resources.

According to UNIFEM, 70% of the world’s hungry are girls and women.

Because of the high level of dependence on local natural resources for their livelihood, girls and young women are disproportionately affected by extreme events resulting from climate change.

We are calling upon UNFCCC to recognize the impact of climate change on girls and young women, to recognize girls and young women as agents of change, and to respond with urgency.

The UNFCCC Secretary General, Christiana Figueres, said that negotiations can be much more effective if we recognize a paradigm change based on responsibility to future generations, and that the human face of climate change must be understood.

Girls and young women must be recognized as stakeholders in the climate change negotiations.

berna...@wagggsworld.org

Nov 28, 2010, 6:19:02 PM11/28/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Great work! I would strongly recommend to emphasize also the huge hidden and often undiscovered potential of girls and young women as agents of change. It is important to portrait girls not only as victims but also as part of the solution. We should highlight that investing in girls and empower them to live up to their potential is the right thing and the smart thing to do in order to achieve progress when fighting climate change.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Bernadette

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

From: Emily Rodriguez <emily.g....@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:18:34 -0500
Subject: Objectives for Girls and Young Women working group

World Bureau, Olave Centre, 12c Lyndhurst Road, London, NW3 5PQ
T: +44 (0) 20 7794 1181     | F: +44 (0) 20 7431 3764
E:
wag...@wagggsworld.org | W: http://www.wagggsworld.org

                                                     Registered Charity No. 306125

This message contains information which is legally privileged and confidential.  It is not necessarily the view nor the official communication of the Association.  If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please telephone +44 20 7794 1181 or email: wag...@wagggsworld.org.

MIRIAM OTIENO

Nov 28, 2010, 11:15:36 PM11/28/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Noted!very crucial.
Rgds,
Miriam

Nov 29, 2010, 1:25:36 PM11/29/10
to youthclimatepolicy-girlsandyoungwomen
Hi all

I've just put the statement in a document and added something on girls
and young women as powerful agents of change. See what you think!

Thanks

On Nov 29, 9:29 am, Marie Gro Svenstrup <mariesvenst...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> And it's a lot more positive. We need to tell the story about girls and
> women who can, who are able to do something, if they just get the needed
> support. So I do strongly agree with Bernadette.
>
> 2010/11/29 MIRIAM OTIENO <ohmariah...@yahoo.com>
>

> >  Noted!very crucial.
> > Rgds,
> > Miriam
>
> >  ------------------------------

Bernadette Fischler

Nov 29, 2010, 1:31:27 PM11/29/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Sorry - I cannot see the document. Can you send the link?

Bernadette Fischler
Advocacy and Public Affairs coordinator

________________________________

Hi all

Thanks

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

World Bureau, Olave Centre, 12c Lyndhurst Road, London, NW3 5PQ

T: +44 (0) 20 7794 1181 | F: +44 (0) 20 7431 3764
E: wag...@wagggsworld.org | W: http://www.wagggsworld.org

Registered Charity No. 306125

This message contains information which is legally privileged and confidential. It is not necessarily the view nor the official communication of
the Association. If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of this information

is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please telephone +44 20 7794 1181 or email: wag...@wagggsworld.org.

winmail.dat

Katharine Chadwick

Nov 29, 2010, 1:35:13 PM11/29/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

> >                                                      Registered Charity
> > No. 306125
> >  This message contains information which is legally privileged and
> > confidential.  It is not necessarily the view nor the official communication
> > of the Association.  If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised
> > disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of this information is
> > strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please
> > telephone+44 20 7794 1181begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +44 20 7794 1181      end_of_the_skype_highlightingor email: wag...@wagggsworld.org.
>
> > * Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail*
>
> --
> /marie gro svenstrup+45 51512554begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +45 51512554      end_of_the_skype_highlighting- Hide quoted text -

World Bureau, Olave Centre, 12c Lyndhurst Road, London, NW3 5PQ
T: +44 (0) 20 7794 1181     | F: +44 (0) 20 7431 3764
E:
wag...@wagggsworld.org | W: http://www.wagggsworld.org

                                                     Registered Charity No. 306125

This message contains information which is legally privileged and confidential.  It is not necessarily the view nor the official communication of the Association.  If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please telephone +44 20 7794 1181 or email: wag...@wagggsworld.org.

;[gwsweb2]

World Bureau, Olave Centre, 12c Lyndhurst Road, London, NW3 5PQ

T: +44 (0) 20 7794 1181 | F: +44 (0) 20 7431 3764

E:wag...@wagggsworld.org <mailto:wag...@wagggsworld.org>| W:http://www.wagggsworld.org <http://www.wagggsworld.org/>

Registered Charity No. 306125

This message contains information which is legally privileged and confidential. It is not necessarily the view nor the official communication of the Association. If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please telephone +44 20 7794 1181 or email: wag...@wagggsworld.org <mailto:wag...@wagggsworld.org>.

[tree2.img]Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

<http://www.wagggsworld.org/>

MIRIAM OTIENO

Nov 29, 2010, 2:54:22 PM11/29/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Oops the attachment please.
Miriam

From: Bernadette Fischler <berna...@wagggsworld.org>
To: youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

Girls+and+young+women+WG+statement.doc

Katharine Chadwick

Nov 29, 2010, 4:05:07 PM11/29/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
The document is on the google site - there was not meant to be an
attachment :)

Hi all

Thanks

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

World Bureau, Olave Centre, 12c Lyndhurst Road, London, NW3 5PQ

T: +44 (0) 20 7794 1181 | F: +44 (0) 20 7431 3764
E: wag...@wagggsworld.org | W: http://www.wagggsworld.org

Registered Charity No. 306125

This message contains information which is legally privileged and confidential. It is not necessarily the view nor the official communication of
the Association. If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of this information

is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please telephone +44 20 7794 1181 or email: wag...@wagggsworld.org.

Katharine Chadwick

Nov 29, 2010, 4:08:39 PM11/29/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
This looks good Miriam!

Nov 29, 2010, 11:57:34 PM11/29/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
Id like to invite you for the girls and young women working group scheduled for
3pm tomorrow(30th November 2010),We shall meet at the WAGGGS-World Association
of Girl Guides and Girl .
Scouts stand as from 1450 hours and proceed at 1500hrs to the meeting venue
which shall be communicated to you in the course of the day.

Suseth Gomez

Nov 30, 2010, 2:43:49 PM11/30/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

 Miriam I think good work is much better but if you can not include something that is very much social and economic aspects for which no information or education ambietal for women?

> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:36:42 -0800
> From: ohmar...@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: Objectives for Girls and Young Women working group
> To: youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

MIRIAM OTIENO

Dec 1, 2010, 12:15:44 AM12/1/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
Our next meeting shall be tomorrow at 1030hrs.we shall again meet at the WAGGGS
stand and proceed to a venue.In our meeting today,we discussed teh following:
1.Statement
2.Areas of focus-REDD
-Adaptation
-Shared Vision
We shared these amongst ourselves so that we can identify texts and give
recommendations.This shall be our discussion during tomorrow meeting.
Agenda:
1.Reporting on priority areas

2.Brainstorm on strategies to push our agenda forth.
3.AOB
Looking forward to seeing you at the meeting.

MIRIAM OTIENO

Dec 3, 2010, 11:31:55 AM12/3/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
I have just worked on this document and I would kindly request that each one
fills up their space as we agreed :
Shared Vision,Capacity Building and REDD plus.
I am sure other issues have come up which we need to add into this document and
so we can also include that so that hopefully by next week we have a document
that we can share with others.
GIRLS AND YOUNG WOMEN WORKING GROUP DOCUMENT.doc

Emily Rodriguez

Dec 3, 2010, 12:52:52 PM12/3/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Miriam.  Yes, I think it is a good idea to fill out this document, and then focus our efforts in one or two areas.

Graham (College of the Atlantic), Bronwyn (WAGGGS) and I met with Goteland who is the focal point for the women and gender constituency.  We spoke about gender issues in climate change, the unjust power distribution among men and women in general, and some next steps for our policy group to take next week.  Please see my attached notes.

We discussed the significance of the shared vision for human rights and gender rights, and plan to focus our efforts on the shared vision. Graham shared some GCCA gender text that we would also like to consider together.

Check out these events today:
3-4 pm Nochebueno room finance meeting that NGOs are invited to attend (same room as gender caucus
4:45pm Jaguar event relating to gender

Best,
Emily
WomensPolicyDec3.doc

Katharine Chadwick

Dec 3, 2010, 3:42:34 PM12/3/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone

We have an opportunity to put our questions forward to Christiana Figuerez tomorrow and the youth constituency will be choosing two questions tomorrow morning. To be considered for a question we need to submit something by 6pm this evening…

I had an idea for two questions either

a,  as a woman in the chair of what is often seen as a male dominated process, how important do you think it is to value the female perspective, and how can we empower more girls and young women to act as the ‘agents of change’ you talked about in Thursday’s intergenerational enquiry?

or b, ‘how can the youth constituency ensure that the question of human rights, and in particular women’s, youth and indigenous rights are respected within the shared vision?’

My feeling is that b might be more likely to be chosen as a question. Anyone got any other ideas? Any volunteers to ask it?

Please send your feedback by 5pm.

Thanks

Katy

World Bureau, Olave Centre, 12c Lyndhurst Road, London, NW3 5PQ
T: +44 (0) 20 7794 1181     | F: +44 (0) 20 7431 3764
E:
wag...@wagggsworld.org | W: http://www.wagggsworld.org

                                                     Registered Charity No. 306125

This message contains information which is legally privileged and confidential.  It is not necessarily the view nor the official communication of the Association.  If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please telephone +44 20 7794 1181 or email: wag...@wagggsworld.org.

Mary Shindler

Dec 3, 2010, 3:56:45 PM12/3/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest a combination:  "as a woman in the chair of what is often seen as a male dominated process, how have you personally overcome some of these barriers, and how can the youth constituency ensure that the question of human rights, including women’s, youth and indigenous rights are respected as we move forward with a shared vision?’

Mary
--
Mary Candice Shindler
Sierra Student Coalition | ssc.org
| skype: maryshindler
twitter: mcandice

Morgan Hamilton-Griffin

Dec 3, 2010, 4:17:36 PM12/3/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
I like the first question, prefer when it focus' on women as active agents, as leaders and being empowered

Morgan
--

    The Youth delegation are at the COP16 climate negotiations in Cancun!  Follow them at un.ukycc.org and @ukycc on twitter!

And man is it getting hot in here!  Still in the UK?  We've got workshops, events & actions so h
op on down to the UKYCC Hotspot!

MIRIAM OTIENO

Dec 3, 2010, 4:20:33 PM12/3/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
I am also for the first question as it opens up the floor for her to share her expereince as a leader and how she can also input onto what we r trying to achieve .So question one.

Katharine Chadwick

Dec 3, 2010, 5:39:46 PM12/3/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys

Emily, Neva, Bronwyn, Miriam and myself have just had a chat and we agree that the second question is probably best in terms of pushing a particular idea forward. Also we have already asked Christiana about girls and young women as agents of change in the youth briefing, and we also feel that YOUNGO will be more likely to put forward the second question as it involves other stakeholders… so we’re going with the second question, hope that’s ok with everyone! And Bronwyn has volunteered herself to ask it.

Thanks

Katy

Dec 3, 2010, 5:44:20 PM12/3/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great!  Thank you for submitting the question.  I look forward to the briefing tomorrow!

Emily

Neva Frecheville

Dec 4, 2010, 12:59:07 PM12/4/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katy,

Sorry for disappearing off after the meeting with Lucy yesterday, we had a bit of an emergency meeting. It was really interesting to meet her and hear her advice, so thank you for organising that and taking such a good lead in the YW and G WG.

I just wanted to say sorry for not committing more time to the working group but it's hard to balance it with my commitment to making sure the UKYCC delegation are doing okay.

Please keep me in the loop and I'll try and keep up :)

Neva

Neva Frecheville | COP16 Engagement Officer (UN) | ukycc.org | skype: neva.frecheville | UK: +44 (0) 7540 858 349 | Mexico: 9981 08 2112

The Youth delegation are at the COP16 climate negotiations in Cancun!  Follow them at un.ukycc.org and @ukycc on twitter!

Katharine Chadwick

Dec 4, 2010, 2:51:35 PM12/4/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

No problem at all Neva. We really appreciate all that you’ve done with the working group so far!

Katharine Chadwick

Dec 4, 2010, 2:52:13 PM12/4/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

Quick update for everyone

Our question got asked at the session this morning. Unfortunately it wasn’t Bronwyn who asked it as the time of the session got changed and I didn’t get the email in time so we weren’t there! My apologies for not being quick enough with that this morning (and especially to Bronwyn!)… I’ve asked for an update on her reply. If anyone in the group was there maybe you could inform us of what was said?

I will be meeting Tracy from UNIFEM after the gender caucus on Monday so anyone who is free please come along to the gender caucus meeting at 9am and we can then talk with Tracy about UNIFEM’s work on gender and climate change afterwards

For anyone who wasn’t at the meeting with Lucy from UNDP she gave us some really interesting ideas and had suggested a group of advocates working on gender to get in touch with. I will do that today. The idea is that potentially one or two people from this working group could shadow someone from the advocates group to see what policy issues they are working on and how they do it! I’ll keep you updated on this.

Thanks, see you all soon

Katy

Sent: 04 December 2010 17:59

Mimi Melles

Dec 6, 2010, 10:36:20 AM12/6/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone!

This is my first time emailing, but I’ve met some of you through the work I’m doing on young people’s sexual and reproductive health and rights—and of course gender rights!  I’m actually not in Cancun anymore (I had to leave early), but I would love to include some language on the shared vision in the next couple days.

In the meantime, I wanted to announce that I’m compiling a list of young people who would like to participate in my organization’s Youth Advisory Board for our climate change campaign.  There are different tiers of engagement of which you can be involved which we will send out once we compile the list of people interested.

Basically, my organization wants young people to be involved in the design of our campaign that we plan to roll out in the year 2011 leading up to COP17 in South Africa. The campaign will be focused on mobilizing global youth in their communities to advocate for integration of SRHR in climate change policies in their respective countries.  Please let me know in the next day or two if you are interested in joining!

Also, I encourage you to check-in with your colleagues (whether or not they are in Cancun) to see if they want to be involved in any way.

Thanks,

Mimi

Advocates for Youth

Mimi Melles

Dec 7, 2010, 3:57:58 PM12/7/10
to youthclimatepolicy...@googlegroups.com

Hi again,

Here’s the document with my edits. I plan to add more information as we make edits but these are my contributions for now. Hope you all are enjoying the 80’s degree weather-jealous!

Peace,

Mimi

GIRLS AND YOUNG WOMEN WORKING GROUP DOCUMENTwithMimiEdits.doc