Using YARD with Read The Docs

pe...@quill.org

Mar 24, 2014, 7:48:23 PM3/24/14
to yar...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Can YARD interface with Read The Docs?

I'm contributing to Quill.org, a web application that provides interactive English grammar lessons. We are an open source nonprofit, and we're building a community of volunteer developer.

With Read The Docs users can edit documentation through GitHub. It'd be great if contributors could write documentation and submit it as pull requests. I'm a non-technical contributor, and I'm not sure if YARD  is similar to Sphinx. It'd be great if there was some way of connecting YARD documentation to either GitHub or Read The Docs.

Best,
Peter Gault

Loren Segal

Mar 25, 2014, 3:57:27 AM3/25/14
to yar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

YARD is similar to Sphinx in that it generates documentation. YARD is dissimilar to Sphinx in every other respect, though-- it doesn't share any of the same technologies or architectural choices. Practically speaking, that means documentation written with YARD will not work on Read The Docs. Unfortunately.

That said, we do run a very similar site, rubydoc.info, which allows devs to add their GitHub projects or RubyGems for indexing and doc generation. The site is powered by YARD in the same way Sphinx powers Read The Docs, so whatever you add gets processed by YARD. Essentially, Sphinx is to Read The Docs as YARD is to rubydoc.info. They are both the technological tools that power their respective websites. Read The Docs is very agnostic about the underlying language, so you may see documentation about many different things, whereas rubydoc.info is specific to Ruby projects. This last point may or may not be relevant, but I figured I would point it out in case.

Hope that helps clarify.

Loren
--

---