is that needed?

Victor Ananjevsky

Feb 23, 2012, 1:13:56 PM2/23/12
to yad-common
i prepare to remove support of gtk+-2.0 in a next releases. what do
you think about it?

Slavko

Feb 23, 2012, 3:15:33 PM2/23/12
to yad-c...@googlegroups.com
Ahoj,

Dňa Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:13:56 -0800 (PST) Victor Ananjevsky
<anan...@gmail.com> napísal:

> i prepare to remove support of gtk+-2.0 in a next releases. what do
> you think about it?

no problem for (from) me :-) the debian (testing) has a lot GTK3 apps now,
but i know nothing about other distros.

The GTK2 will be death, later or sooner.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk

signature.asc

Gotsi Boon

Feb 25, 2012, 4:47:40 AM2/25/12
to yad-common

Hi Victor,

I still have a few hundreds lucid and maverick clients using YAD. Gtk3
isn't available for these. Therefore I would have a problem to deploy
changes in my scripts (at least when using new YAD-features).

On the other hand its clear that Gtk2 is to be dead soon.

As you kindly ask for our opinion:
I'm still hoping that you can implement my "tabbed dialog" feature
request. :-)
So, if you are willing to realize this feature, please do it before
moving to Gtk3.

Thanks for all the great work!
Best regards,
gotsiboon.

BTW: the new --rest argument is fantastic.

FFRR

Feb 29, 2012, 10:25:40 AM2/29/12
to yad-common
Please keep it for now. I use yad to avoid running large programs on
older machines, may of which require and still use GTK 2.

Thanks

FFRR

Slavko

Feb 29, 2012, 11:21:07 AM2/29/12
to yad-c...@googlegroups.com
Ahoj,

Dňa Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:25:40 -0800 (PST) FFRR <carte...@gmail.com>
napísal:

> Please keep it for now. I use yad to avoid running large programs on
> older machines, may of which require and still use GTK 2.

i am replying to Gotsi Boon's mail.

You are both talking about keeping old GTK2 in next releases. Specially
Gotsi was talking about old Ubuntu releases.

I am not developer, but i think, that maintain code for two versions of
the GTK is useless work and you (both ) can use existing versions of the
yad. Removing GTK2 support in future relases will not change existing
versions.

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk

signature.asc

Gotsi Boon

Mar 1, 2012, 9:38:34 AM3/1/12
to yad-common

Hi Slavko,

> You are both talking about keeping old GTK2 in next releases. Specially
> Gotsi was talking about old Ubuntu releases.

Yes, I have ~800-900 pcs.

> I am not developer, but i think, that maintain code for two versions of
> the GTK is useless work and you (both ) can use existing versions of the
> yad. Removing GTK2 support in future relases will not change existing
> versions.

Of course any old version of YAD will still function properly. My only
concern is that I really would like to use a feature of tabbed dialogs
(if it's going to be realized anyway). If Victor decides that it is
not possible to implement tabbed dialogs, me and my PCs are
confortable with the status of YAD as it is for now.
I totally agree that it doesn't make sense to do double work.

So, Victor...
up to you. :-)

BR, gotsiboon.

Ken Coulton

Mar 1, 2012, 10:21:21 PM3/1/12
to yad-c...@googlegroups.com
Removing support for gtk+2.0, will take new yad releases off of my desktops running xfce4, which only have gtk+2.0 installed.

Slavko

Mar 2, 2012, 2:56:06 AM3/2/12
to yad-c...@googlegroups.com
Ahoj,

Dňa Thu, 1 Mar 2012 06:38:34 -0800 (PST) Gotsi Boon <gotsi...@gmail.com>
napísal:

> Of course any old version of YAD will still function properly. My only
> concern is that I really would like to use a feature of tabbed dialogs
> (if it's going to be realized anyway). If Victor decides that it is
> not possible to implement tabbed dialogs, me and my PCs are
> confortable with the status of YAD as it is for now.
> I totally agree that it doesn't make sense to do double work.

perhaps doing removing GTK2 in two steps:

1, first, for some time, make GTK3 as default
2, after some time remove GTK2 at all

can be reasonable solution?

By this, new users will be default pointed to new GTK3 libraries, while
old users can still make it for GTK2?

signature.asc