Idea: Android Bootstrap for xtend

Ville M. Vainio

Apr 12, 2014, 6:29:20 PM4/12/14
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
This is just an idea, not a question:

It could be interesting to have a version of "Android Bootstrap" using xtend:

https://github.com/AndroidBootstrap/android-bootstrap

It's not obvious how to set up an environment that uses all the libs used in that sample project, and an extra complication is that Eclipse is not supported. Having an xtend project using this would be a good way to showcase Android development with xtend, but it's not quite clear how to put all the pieces together (eclipse, gradle, all the subprojects and some xtend code).

Stefan Oehme

Apr 13, 2014, 6:13:42 AM4/13/14
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
In short: As long as Eclipse ADT does not support the new Android build system, editing such Android Apps in Eclipse will not work.

You will sadly have to use Android Studio, which in turn does not have a proper Xtend editor. The integration we currently have will build Xtend files as part of the Gradle build. This means that at least you could have some Xtend files and building the project would work (because Android Studio delegates everything to Gradle). But you wouldn't get any syntax highlighting, content assist etc. for Xtend. We hope that ADT will evolve to support the new build system. Otherwise we might need to build some basic Xtend support for IDEA.

Sven Efftinge

Apr 13, 2014, 4:15:36 PM4/13/14
to xtend...@googlegroups.com
Or you simply don’t use the "new build system”, which is not production-ready yet anyway (it’s still 0.8).
The old builds work as well as building with Maven does.

As for the initial idea. Yes, that would be cool.
Go ahead and if you have concrete problems come back :-)

I have been thinking about building an Android IDE based on Eclipse and Xtend, but didn’t get to it yet.
I wouldn’t do much more than coming up with a polished getting started tutorial and trying to remove the rough edges especially for beginners.
Also there is Xtendroid which has some nice ideas in it, but needs more love.

signature.asc