Xtend evolution

Marcio Alves

Sep 14, 2017, 8:36:34 AM9/14/17
to Xtend Programming Language
Hi,

First let me say that I love Xtend. Xtend have potential to be better than Kotlin and Scala.

Unfortunately it is evolving very slowly if compared with Kotlin and Scala (and Dotty).

There are even gaps if compared with Java 8.

Will Xtend evolve to compete with Java 8,  Kotlin and Scala? Or it will go back to its origins and be considered just a tool language for Xtext?

Best regards

Christian Dietrich

Sep 15, 2017, 2:24:35 AM9/15/17
to Xtend Programming Language
If there is no manpower, no budget, no external contributions and no personal ambition on the existing committers side nothing will change. contributions are always welcome. unfortunately changing things is not as easy as it seems (even for small bugfixes)

Micael Pedrosa

Sep 22, 2017, 12:06:43 PM9/22/17
to Xtend Programming Language
I'm also start to think that. I especially feel the need for default and named arguments.