Xtend / Xtext on Android Studio 2 Preview 6: a hopefully small installation issue

Al Jannico

Jan 21, 2016, 8:16:28 AM1/21/16
to Xtend Programming Language
Hi all!

Sorry for asking, but I am stuck and help would be much appreciated (I did not found something conclusive by using Google):

Context: we want to try to re-write a mid-size app in Xtendroid/Xtend style. We want to use Android Studio 2 (at least in the long run).

Problem:

https://eclipse.org/xtend/download.html points to 3 plugins (with two links to repositories on the right side for IntelliJ / Android Studio 2.0).

The links are:

(Toby Kurien gives still another link in his install instructions for Xtendroid, does not work either)

2 of the 3 plugins will no install properly

Here is the error Android Studion 2.0 preview 6 throws (also preview 5 did this):

Plugin Error

Problems found loading plugins:

Plugin "Xtend Support" was not loaded: required plugin "org.jetbrains.idea.maven" not installed.

Plugin "Xtext" was not loaded: required plugin "org.jetbrains.idea.maven" not installed.

It happens (which is no surprise) with both repositories, i.e. 2.9.0 and a current 2.10-snapshot.

The plugin that does install successfully is  Xtext IDEA Core, org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.idea-2.10.0-SNAPSHOT.

Obviously, this is a problem caused by a missing maven integration in Android Studio. In the Android Studio settings, there is the section Build, Execution, Deployment // Build Tools with the following help text:

"Configure your project integration with different build tools: Maven, Gradle or Gant"

Below, the items "Gradle" and "Gant" follow, but NOT maven.

There is no maven integration plugin in the list of Jetbrain plugins which can be found by clicking "Configure / Plugins / Install Jetbrains plugins". Of course, the maven depency of other maven related plugins (which ARE in the list, e.g. Maven Helper) is also broken.

System: up-to-date Windows 10, Java 7.0_80, fresh box.

Yeah, I know, this is an Android Studio issue (or is it? Are maven depencies really required in the Xtext/Xtend plugings for Android Studio?), but I still hope that someone has a simple advice for me?

At least, a "vanilla install" on a clean Windows system does not work as advertised on the above mentioned "Xtend Download" page, so perhaps you add a warning.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Al

dennis....@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2016, 8:36:42 AM1/21/16
to Xtend Programming Language
Hi Al,
one told me that the maven plugin is installed by default in all jetbrains IDEs.
Now we see that this is not the case :)

What we can do for 2.10, is set the maven dependency to optional and review our codebase, especially
the corner where we work with dependency resolutions and the maybe the project wizard.

Best regards,
Dennis.

Toby Kurien

Jan 22, 2016, 1:54:23 AM1/22/16
to Xtend Programming Language
Quite possibly the link in my Xtendroid wiki is outdated - I will modify it to point to the eclipse page rather. My AS Xtend plugin doesn't seem to update anymore and is quite unstable (lots of crash messages come up in AS), so this might be why.

I am about to start a new commercial Android project, and for various reasons including the above, have decided to stick with Eclipse for now. However, using the Eclipse AAR plugin (https://github.com/ksoichiro/gradle-eclipse-aar-plugin), I can keep the configuration in a Gradle build file, and have it generate the Eclipse project and dependencies. That way I can compile the project without Eclipse using Gradle, and be able to develop in Android Studio as well - all from the one Gradle build config.

Jasm Sison

Jan 25, 2016, 5:33:23 AM1/25/16
to Xtend Programming Language
Hi,

This (temporary) situation sucks. I suggest you use intellij >15 in the meantime.

I'm on intellij 15 IDEA EAP CE, right now because I made the mistake of updating AS, mid-project.

It's pretty decent.

Good luck.

dennis....@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2016, 9:23:37 AM1/26/16
to Xtend Programming Language
Hi,
I've pushed the change that makes maven dependency optional.
Tried it out with AS Preview 6. Installation and Xtend Compiler works fine.
Change is applied for the 2.9.x and 2.10 stream.

Regards,
Dennis.

Maan Najjar

Feb 7, 2016, 11:09:17 AM2/7/16
to Xtend Programming Language
Hello,

Just wanted to added an issue I had related to this, and a workaround I found. I just downloaded latest Android Studio 2.0 beta 2 and installed latest Xtend plugin. Xtend plugin didn't work even though the plugin is activated and there are no exceptions, Xtend file were just treated as plain text files. The same project was working fine when opened using IntelliJ 15.

So to fix this I copied the maven plugin folder from IntelliJ to Android Studio 2 and Xtend started working again. It could be that Android Studio is deactivating Xtend when it doesn't find maven plugin

Thanks,
Maan