ICE: Switching geometry emitter

Chris Marshall

May 18, 2012, 10:10:20 AM5/18/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi,
I have three objects I want to emit particles from, but not all at the same time, with one pointcloud. Is there a way to use emit from geometry, and switch between the three pieces of geometry? I guess I could use three emit from geometry compounds and just change the emission individually, but I thought maybe there'd be a way of using a Group Geometry plugged into 1 emit compound or similar and toggle which is the emitter geometry at any one time?
I thought generate sample set might work but I'm getting context errors.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Chris

Sandy Sutherland

May 18, 2012, 10:16:10 AM5/18/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Can you not use 'if' nodes and use an integer or something to drive the selection?

S.

_____________________________
Sandy Sutherland
Technical Supervisor
sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
_____________________________

May 18, 2012, 10:40:17 AM5/18/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
HACKY WORKAROUND WARNING!!!

If you Generate a Sample Set, get the PointPosition from the locations and then create an array out of it you can plug that data into an Add Point node without context issues.

Dirty, isn't it? :)
generateByCase.jpeg

Chris Marshall

May 18, 2012, 10:44:26 AM5/18/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great solution!!!
Thanks a lot

Stephen Blair

May 18, 2012, 10:45:52 AM5/18/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Put a per-point attribute on each emitter object (eg self._groupID)

In the emit ice tree, use emit location to get the groupID and delete the points if they are not from the object you want to be emitting at that point in time

On 18 May 2012 15:16, Sandy Sutherland <Sandy.Su...@triggerfish.co.za<mailto:Sandy.Su...@triggerfish.co.za>> wrote:
Can you not use 'if' nodes and use an integer or something to drive the selection?

S.

_____________________________
Sandy Sutherland
Technical Supervisor
sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za<mailto:sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za>

May 18, 2012, 10:59:04 AM5/18/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks,
All interesting solutions. I'm using a variation on Peters Array idea.

Cheers

--

Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited