OT : A Monster In Paris

Jeremie Passerin

Jun 15, 2011, 6:38:19 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey list,

Just to let you know that the first trailer of A Monster in Paris is finally out. (in French)
The production got delayed many time but here it is ! I worked on that movie 3 years ago.

Modeling, Rigging, Animation, Fx... done in Softimage. I don't know about lighting... Halim ? Was it Softimage too ? It was supposed to be XSI/Mental ray when I left but I don't know about today...

Congratulation to all the team !

Jeremie

Rob Wuijster

Jun 15, 2011, 6:44:18 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I think Peter Boeykens also can answer some of those questions..

Rob

\/-------------\/----------------\/

No virus found in this message.

Morten Bartholdy

Jun 15, 2011, 7:03:21 AM6/15/11
to Softimage Userlist
Looks really good - congrats to the team!

/MB

--
Best Regards

Morten Bartholdy
3D/VFX Supervisor

Ben Houston

Jun 15, 2011, 7:05:20 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It's beautiful work. :-)
-ben

--
Best regards,
Ben Houston

Halim Negadi

Jun 15, 2011, 7:06:46 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes Jeremie, all lighting was done in Softimage|MR. A blind lighting pipeline, rebuilt final layout scenes based on xml files, automated generation of tons of passes and auto generated nuke files to do the lighting in comp. Neat stuff despite having to work blind in Softimage. Some scenes were so heavy that any MR preview attempt lead most of the times to a "failed to save sequence before system failure". Despite that, xsi's great automation capabilities helped us to get it done that way without so much pain.

Jeremie Passerin

Jun 15, 2011, 7:15:27 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Cool ! So that's a 100% Softimage feature film... we don't see so many of them ! ;-)

Jo Plaete

Jun 15, 2011, 7:48:23 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Not 100%, 95%, except lots of ICE there was some 3dsmax (fumefx/krakaroa) & realflow involved in FX.
--

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Jo Plaete

Halim Negadi

Jun 15, 2011, 8:04:04 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Damn! and nuke makes it going down to 93%. We should have used the FXTree instead :)

Aloys Baillet

Jun 15, 2011, 8:36:32 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Nice work guys!
Glad to finally see it coming together!

Aloys
--
Aloys Baillet
Lead Software Developer

Octavian Ureche

Jun 15, 2011, 8:39:53 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thumbs up for the solid work guys. It's been a while since i've seen
an all xsi production.
Hope it does well at the box office.

Octav

Sandy Sutherland

Jun 15, 2011, 8:57:34 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
We are also finishing up an all XSI/Softimage Movie - called Zambezia -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWOyZaBDA6s

Starting the next one - also to be done in Softimage, we are currently
evaluating another renderer, who shall remain nameless, but was part of
the Terminator Movies!!! :-P

S.

Rob Wuijster

Jun 15, 2011, 9:06:41 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
What! Wait!!! Skynet's a renderer now???? ;-P

Rob Wuijster
E ro...@casema.nl

\/-------------\/----------------\/
-----

Octavian Ureche

Jun 15, 2011, 9:12:41 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
i always knew xdugef would become a renderer one day.

Juhani Karlsson

Jun 15, 2011, 9:15:19 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Don`t worry. It dosen`t have network rendering yet!
- Juhani

Sandy Sutherland

Jun 15, 2011, 9:28:29 AM6/15/11
to ro...@casema.nl, soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
LOL - maybe it is - maybe it is one big render farm!!

S.

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Jun 15, 2011, 10:47:53 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Wow, félicitations a tous ceux qui ont travaillé sur ce film! J’ai bien hâte de le voir.

Has that french flavor we love so much. J

MAC

Christopher Tedin

Jun 15, 2011, 11:22:58 AM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Wasn't that what happened in The Matrix too? We will all become nodes in a giant render farm... Churning out our own reality... Or maybe that's what's happening now.

Anyone see artifacts? Look around. Did I just see that cat before? Instance?

peter boeykens

Jun 15, 2011, 2:27:55 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
To be honest, the amount of nuke work was MUCH more than 2% Smile emoticon
For lighting, I'd say about half of the work was in Nuke.

Animation, modeling, layout, texturing, shading was done by the French studio Pumpkin/Bibofilms (also known from French Roast) - all on Softimage.
( except some very early work in M*y&.)

Lighting/compositing/FX/Matte painting was done by Belgian studio Walking the Dog - using Softimage, Mental Ray, Nuke, Deadline, Photoshop.
Next to Softimage, FX also used max, fumefx, krakatoa and realflow (Jo Plaete was FX Lead/sup - kudos!)
We had some great people from Pumpkin helping us out, such as Sylvain Audi, Sebastien Fernandez, Stefano Januzzo and Halim Negadi of course (hi there!)
We also have a stereo department preparing the stereoscopy - which in turn is
being finished by another French studio, using inhouse software.
Since its not on their website I wont say more.

Without wanting to minimize the wonderful tools that were made for the movie - the main software was used "out of the box".
Most custom tools were for pipeline and automation.
If proof was needed that Softimage is suited for a complete feature animation - this is it.

I don’t think it was posted here yet - the poster for the movie has also been made public:
Emoticon1.gif

peter boeykens

Jun 15, 2011, 2:30:59 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
But for those who find the French touch a bit too much, the original edit is actually English.
But given the cast I would expect the French dub to be rather good.

J'espere que ca ne t'enleve pas l'envie d'aller le voir Smile emoticon

Emoticon1.gif

Halim Negadi

Jun 15, 2011, 2:32:55 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
At last Peter, you show up! I was expecting a faster reaction when I wrote that we lost 2% using nuke :)
Very early work done in M*y& was only the first teaser when the core team was busy setting up the pipeline and specially the rigging tools.
Emoticon1.gif

Steffen Dünner

Jun 15, 2011, 2:35:32 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ah! I was just about to ask this question, because the lipsync "looks" very english ;)

Lovely work there, congrats to all who worked on it!

Cheers
Steffen

2011/6/15 peter boeykens <pet...@skynet.be>

--
PGP-ID(RSA): 0xCCE2E989 / 0xE045734C CCE2E989
Fingerprint: 394B 3DA9 9A9A 96C6  3A5A 0595 EF92 EE1F

Guillaume Laforge

Jun 15, 2011, 2:52:00 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ø J'espere que ca ne t'enleve pas l'envie d'aller le voir [Smile emoticon]

Personally I will go to the theatre with my daughter to see it for sure ! So many friends worked on it at a close or far level through the years.

For the anecdote, I did some Softimage training session for some new hired people at Pumpkin studio coming from Maya (it was done at the french animation School Georges Méliès near Paris).
I don't know if some of them finally worked on this production btw...

Anyway, at least this teaser gives me the opportunity to finish my "...using Softimage<http://frenchdog.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/a-cgi-animated-feature-film-studio-using-softimage/>" stories on my blog :).

Guillaume

But for those who find the French touch a bit too much, the original edit is actually English.
But given the cast I would expect the French dub to be rather good.

J'espere que ca ne t'enleve pas l'envie d'aller le voir [Smile emoticon]

Jun 15, 2011, 2:56:01 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey - it's my first vacation in over a year - I was glad to get my mind on something other than this movie for a change Smile emoticon.
Emoticon1.gif
Emoticon1.gif

Halim Negadi

Jun 15, 2011, 2:55:16 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
So what, non one reacts ? Jeremie ? Peter ? David ? PYG ? What I just said is no more than history re-rewriting.
Actually Pumpkin3D has been an XSI house ever since they've been doing CG but at that time ( back in late 2006, right after Barnyard Peter ), when they got a deal to make their first animated feature, a debate about switching to Maya popped up for usual recruiting concerns. All this lead to a tough battle between two teams. The Maya team who rigged and animated the the teaser's characters vs XSI team mostly doing rigging rnd, modeling and set dressing. Maya guys completed their part on the Teaser with no rnd support whatsoever ( which is a performance in itself ) and finally accepted to give a try to our favourite piece of software. The rest is history but we finally got our feature film made with our weapon of choice.
Emoticon1.gif

Christopher Tedin

Jun 15, 2011, 3:09:41 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I really love the dancing between the two main characters. Really fluid and very charming! The main female especially has a great deal of appeal. Wonderful eyes, both in design and dart movement.

I love the bleached out lighting/texture from :29-33. Great environments overall.

On 6/15/11 1:56 PM, peter boeykens wrote:
Hey - it's my first vacation in over a year - I was glad to get my mind on something other than this movie for a change Smile emoticon.
�
�

Jeremie Passerin

Jun 15, 2011, 3:27:43 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sorry Halim, when I arrived at Pumpkin3D, the decision was already made to stick with Softimage so I was not part of that Maya discussions.
That was a great experience for me, and I really liked the pipeline that was simple but clever... again mainly thanks to Softimage which is already good enough and don't need so much work to fit in a pipeline... We were 5 people in RnD and I think I was the only one developing full time for Softimage.

On 15 June 2011 21:09, Christopher Tedin <cte...@comcast.net> wrote:
I really love the dancing between the two main characters. Really fluid and very charming! The main female especially has a great deal of appeal. Wonderful eyes, both in design and dart movement.

I love the bleached out lighting/texture from :29-33. Great environments overall.

On 6/15/11 1:56 PM, peter boeykens wrote:
Hey - it's my first vacation in over a year - I was glad to get my mind on something other than this movie for a change Smile emoticon.

Christopher Crouzet

Jun 15, 2011, 5:02:20 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Glad that there's finally something out! Congrats guys, I'm definitely looking forward to see it!
Can't believe it was originally edited in english though, I hope they kept the soundtrack of -M- at least?

peter boeykens

Jun 15, 2011, 7:49:15 PM6/15/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The songs were written part french part english - so nothing should get butchered in translation.
If you're an M or Vanessa Paradis fan, you should have fun.

Mind you that we didn’t work with the final soundtrack, they were doing recordings only a few weeks ago.

This one is more for crew that might be lurking here: it seems a fine art book is in the make... yay!

peter boeykens

Jul 2, 2011, 5:24:06 AM7/2/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
sorry for the shameless plug -

just found the video to the song "La Seine" - performed by M and Vanessa Paradis
all images are an extract from the movie Monster In Paris.