Smoothing Strands Deformation

Dominik Kirouac

Sep 25, 2012, 11:07:36 AM9/25/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey all,

Anyone know if a compound exist to smooth strands deformation. I have some weird strand deformation after applying simulation and I want to smooth them in a postprocess icetree.

I'm able to do it for weightmap by getting the average of neighboring points and reapply it to the point, but I'm not able to apply this technic to strands.

Anyone could help me with this?

Thanks,

Dominik Kirouac // SHED
3D Artist / FX - SIMULATION
1410, RUE STANLEY, 11E ETAGE MONTREAL (QUEBEC) H3A 1P8
T 514 849-1555 F 514 849-5025
WWW.SHEDMTL.COM

Jonathan Laborde

Sep 25, 2012, 11:36:09 AM9/25/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello Dominik,
Spent the last couple of months fighting day and night with strand deformations. A real pain in the ...
If your simulation is not too twitchy, you can go through all the strand's array indexes to get the point positions then average it with the point positions of the neighboring indexes (index + 1, index - 1). There is probably a way to avoid it, but you probably will have to recursively go through all the array indexes with a repeat/while node.
Good luck :)
Jonathan

Renaud Bousquet

Sep 25, 2012, 12:00:28 PM9/25/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Dominic,

I had a similar problem few weeks ago.. I haven't found a perfect solution but this might help you
and/or point you in a good direction!

cheers
RB
SmoothStrands.xsicompound

Mathieu Leclaire

Sep 25, 2012, 12:09:54 PM9/25/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Well, there are a few techniques you can use... some are more complex then others.

One I use often that is quite simple and not much work is to use the Resample Strands compound from Melena. If you have Melena installed, Helge had compiled a node called nest_StrandFitting where you can resample your strand and by adding more points, you'll automatically create a smoother curve.

I also implemented a bezier based technique and a Catmull Rom spline technique to resample and smooth out the curves, but these are a bit more complicated to implement. I'd start with the Melena node to see if it gives you good enough results. If it doesn't work, I'll try and see if I can give you more details on the other techniques I use.

-Mathieu

Dominik Kirouac

Sep 25, 2012, 12:20:54 PM9/25/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for the help guys,

Mathieu: I tried to resample strands, but it doesn't repair the zigzag deformation that I get in my simulation..

At the moment, I'm able to smooth(average) one position in the strandposition array with it previous and next index, but I'm not able to figure out how to do it for each index in the strandposition array.

How can I create a loop for this smooth to pass through each index of the strandposition array?

Christian Keller

Sep 25, 2012, 12:51:35 PM9/25/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
here is a snapshot of a very cheap, but working method ...
cheap_smooth_strands.jpg
--
christian keller
visual effects|direction

+49 179 69 36 248
chri...@me.com

Dominik Kirouac

Mathieu Leclaire

Sep 25, 2012, 1:57:04 PM9/25/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Here's a compound that's similar to Renaud Bousquet's compound. I use the average of the current strand position and the points before and after, with a blend control and an iteration control to smooth further. Hope this helps.

-Mathieu
Smooth Strand Position.xsicompound

Dominik Kirouac

Sep 25, 2012, 3:48:52 PM9/25/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Mathieu, I'll take a look at it too !

olivier jeannel

Dec 13, 2012, 1:22:21 PM12/13/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi guys,

I'm having troubles with XSI and a network disk (Lacie BigDisk).
It's a Lan (rj45) connexion, and whenever I try to access it it's
getting very slow.

In Softimage, if I try to access down to 5 level of
sub-directories(Z://directory/directory/directory/directory/ ) it takes
5 minutes to get to it.

It's working rather well in Windows7. So much better that I use to drag
and drop things from windows to SI rather to navigate using SI explorers.

Might be a configuration thing, any idea ?

Vladimir Jankijevic

Dec 13, 2012, 1:33:52 PM12/13/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
from the docs:

SI_BROWSER_DONT_CHECK_CHILDREN_FOLDERS

Controls whether Softimage checks folders for subfolders when displaying the file browser. Setting this variable to 1 may speed up file operations on NFS systems, particularly on Linux. When set, folders are always drawn with an expandable ‘+’ whether or not they contain subfolders.

--
---------------------------------------
Vladimir Jankijevic

Elefant Studios AG
Lessingstrasse 15
CH-8002 Zürich

+41 44 500 48 20

www.elefantstudios.ch
---------------------------------------

olivier jeannel

Dec 13, 2012, 2:49:22 PM12/13/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Discovering this atm in combination with Nest StrandFitting, this is brillant !

Thank's Christian !

olivier jeannel

Feb 7, 2013, 12:17:30 PM2/7/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi there,
Sorry for bumping that old thread, I just decided to fix my Lan disk slowdown trouble today.
In Softimage, if I try to access down to 5 levels of sub-directories(Z://directory/directory/directory/directory/ �) it takes 5 minutes to get to it.
I'm trying the solution mentionned by Vladimir below,

SI_BROWSER_DONT_CHECK_CHILDREN_FOLDERS

Controls whether Softimage checks folders for subfolders when displaying the file browser. Setting this variable to�1�may speed up file operations on NFS systems, particularly on Linux. When set, folders are always drawn with an expandable �+� whether or not they contain subfolders.

This is supposed to be in the Setenv.bat , right ? I don't find that line in the Setenv.bat file.
Am I supposed to add it ?

Sorry might sound dumb, but I'm not super familiar with Setenv things..

Thank you.

Olivier

Le 13/12/2012 19:33, Vladimir Jankijevic a �crit�:

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM, olivier jeannel <olivier...@noos.fr> wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm having troubles with XSI and a network disk (Lacie BigDisk).
It's a Lan (rj45) connexion, and whenever I try to access it it's getting very slow.

In Softimage, if I try to access down to 5 level of sub-directories(Z://directory/directory/directory/directory/ �) it takes 5 minutes to get to it.

It's working rather well in Windows7. So much better that I use to drag and drop things from windows to SI rather to navigate using SI explorers.

Might be a configuration thing, any idea ?

--
---------------------------------------
Vladimir Jankijevic
Technical Direction

Elefant Studios AG
Lessingstrasse 15
CH-8002 Z�rich

Stephen Blair

Feb 7, 2013, 12:18:55 PM2/7/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes, you add a line like this:

set SI_BROWSER_DONT_CHECK_CHILDREN_FOLDERS=1

olivier jeannel

Feb 7, 2013, 12:26:24 PM2/7/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thank's stephen,
Ok, just did it. With 1 or 0, same paralitic slowdown :(
I don't see any little + as mentionned.

Le 07/02/2013 18:18, Stephen Blair a �crit�:

Thomas Cannell

Feb 7, 2013, 1:11:18 PM2/7/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I've found that if I have the "Modified by" column showing in the file browser it will show files in a directory at a snail's pace.  Just throwing that out there.

Le 13/12/2012 19:33, Vladimir Jankijevic a écrit :
[...]

------------
puppetstring.com

olivier jeannel

Feb 7, 2013, 1:37:07 PM2/7/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi Thomas,
I don't have "modified by" column in the xsi browser (neither in the windows one).

but thank's ;)

Le 07/02/2013 19:11, Thomas Cannell a �crit�:
[...]

Alan Fregtman

Feb 8, 2013, 1:59:21 PM2/8/13
to XSI Mailing List
I don't mean to sound condescending but you added it somewhere before the final call to xsi.exe, right?

Just saying, because technically adding it at the very end of xsi.bat would in fact do nothing.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM, olivier jeannel <olivier...@noos.fr> wrote:
[...]

olivier jeannel

Feb 8, 2013, 2:52:05 PM2/8/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Please be condescending ;)
I tried both at the end of the .bat and somewhere in the middle� ^^;
Will check that it's above the xsi.exe on monday...
Thank's a ton, might be it :D

Olivier

Le 08/02/2013 19:59, Alan Fregtman a �crit�:
[...]

Stephen Blair

Feb 8, 2013, 2:56:07 PM2/8/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
setenv.bat?

You can put it in xsi.bat, but setenv.bat is really where you should put it.

olivier jeannel

Feb 8, 2013, 3:17:42 PM2/8/13
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes, Setenv.bat.

Le 08/02/2013 20:56, Stephen Blair a �crit�:

Luc-Eric Rousseau