ICE | Arnold Render Errors With Strands

Mitchell Lotierzo

Jun 29, 2012, 4:53:09 PM6/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Has anyone out there ever had problems getting strands to render in Arnold? I get this error message when I draw a render region:

"""
# WARNING : [arnold] ignoring parameter points on Strands_PntCld.strands (found: nans or infs)
# WARNING : [arnold] [curves] Invalid number of points (expected 40800, found 0)
"""

I can see my strands perfectly fine in the viewport though. I've noticed that when I disable my "Slide on Surface" node in the ICETree, I can get the strands to render perfectly fine. I tried tweaking every setting in the node as well, but nothing seems to work besides disabling it. There must be something on the inner workings of the node that I can't wrap my head around.

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Mitch

Steven Caron

Jun 29, 2012, 4:54:53 PM6/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
post this to the sitoa list, include which version you are using.

Todd Akita

Jun 29, 2012, 4:57:32 PM6/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It may be that your strand arrays (position, velocity, color, etc) are not all the same size. That would be the first thing I would check.

-T

Mitchell Lotierzo

Jun 29, 2012, 7:02:36 PM6/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses.

@Todd: I logged the size of all my arrays and they are all identical. The only one that wasn't was Orientation, but I'm pretty sure that should be returning a size of zero since I have "Loft Shape Along Strand" checked in the "Generate Strand Trails" node. I'll keep debugging the tree, but thanks for the tip. :)

@Steven: I wasn't aware there was a sitoa list. I'm pretty new to the world of Arnold. I'm sure my sup. is a member, so I'll have him post a blurb for me. Thanks!

Steven Caron

Jun 29, 2012, 7:23:18 PM6/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
ya, definitely send it there to make sure to include the version you are using. stefano has done a lot of work on ICE implementation and it constantly is improving.

Steven Caron

Jun 29, 2012, 7:26:53 PM6/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
correction... send it there too (as in also)...

Sam Cuttriss

Jun 29, 2012, 9:13:52 PM6/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I was getting this error whenever i attempted to resize ltk_lightning strands.

fine in viewport/ mental ray, not so much in arnold

Sandy Sutherland

Jun 30, 2012, 1:47:27 AM6/30/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I can reply on the correct list.