New Plugin: LK Lightning - Non-simulated strand-dynamics

Leonard Koch

Feb 27, 2012, 12:32:51 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hi, I don't quite know if it is appropriate to post releases here, but I assume the spreading of useful tools isn't a crime so I'm just going to go for it.

Inline image 1
LK Lightning is a tool-set for the creation of non-simulated strand-dynamics with quite a few tools dedicated to the creation of lightning effects.
LKL is made up of 35 ice-nodes and compounds which sort themselves into 5 different categories, Emission, Control, Splitting, Stopping and Styling.
While it's interface is ICE, it doesn't require the user to have any knowledge of ICE whatsoever, which makes it very artist-friendly.
Overall I've taken great care to make this as production and artist-friendly as possible. Everything is built so that it behaves very predictable and controlled, doesn't jump around or give the artist using it any "wtf"-moments.
All parameters are animate-able and give you immediate feedback. No more enter parameters, press simulate, hate it and repeat. What you see is what you get.

Watch the video below for a more in-depth look at the capabilities of the plugin.
Sorry for it being a little long ;)

Download the Addon.
Download the Sample Scenes.

I hope this is useful to you and I can't wait to see what people do with it.
LKLightningIntropic.jpg

Halim Negadi

Feb 27, 2012, 12:44:24 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It's totally the place for sharing tools and knowledge, that's what makes the community what it is.
Looks very good, I really like the non simulated approach. Thank you for sharing Thomas.
LKLightningIntropic.jpg

Meng-Yang Lu

Feb 27, 2012, 12:59:11 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thank you so much Leonard!!  Timing is incredible.

-Lu

Halim Negadi

Feb 27, 2012, 1:20:36 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sorry for messing up with your first name Leonard, I was answering a work email at the same time and swapped the names :)
Great addon BTW, thanks.
LKLightningIntropic.jpg

Ed Harriss

Feb 27, 2012, 1:59:57 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Is there a way for people to download it without going through google?

Thanks,

Ed

Rob Chapman

Feb 27, 2012, 2:13:28 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
im getting a 404 error too!

Adam Sale

Feb 27, 2012, 2:21:46 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hey Leonard.. very generous..

I'm getting a 404 error trying to access the addon and the scene files.

Leonard Koch

Feb 27, 2012, 2:41:47 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes, here are the two links.

I wonder why there are issues with google, for me those links work just fine.

I'm glad you guys like LKL, I'll release quite a few tutorial videos for it in the next couple of days, going a bit more in-depth.
If you find any bugs, issues or unexpected behaviour or have a feature request please let me know!

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Leonard Koch <leonard...@gmail.com> wrote:
As of yet, no.
But if somebody would be willing to host it I'd love to include it here.

If you can't download it from that link please go to this:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lk-lightning/MjujgUMEjv8  Post right there and download the 2 attachments.
Additionally I've attached both the Addon and the Sample Scenes to this email.

Rob Chapman

Feb 27, 2012, 2:55:55 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
get them whilst they re hot eh! I really like the approach you have taken with trying to make them artist friendly, narrowing the gap, I like it!, these deownload links work, many thanks for submitting

Ed Harriss

Feb 27, 2012, 3:00:28 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Thanks a bunch for posting the dropbox links.

Much appreciated!

Adam Sale

Feb 27, 2012, 3:44:19 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great! Working now. thanks Leonard.

Adam

John Richard Sanchez

Feb 27, 2012, 4:21:51 PM2/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Wow looks cool! Thanks'
John

Andy Moorer

Feb 28, 2012, 12:13:40 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

This is awesome, well done!

On Feb 27, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Leonard Koch <leonard...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I don't quite know if it is appropriate to post releases here, but I assume the spreading of useful tools isn't a crime so I'm just going to go for it.

<LKLightningIntropic.jpg>

Darren Macpherson

Feb 28, 2012, 2:22:26 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
[

Great share, thanks Leonard!  I'm going to take a look at it and see if I can implement it into my current job.

Thanks again

darren macpherson | 3d artist | +2772 355 0924 | www.darrenmacpherson.com | dar...@darrenmacpherson.com | skype: darren.macpherson

On 2012/02/27 07:32 PM, Leonard Koch wrote:
Hi, I don't quite know if it is appropriate to post releases here, but I assume the spreading of useful tools isn't a crime so I'm just going to go for it.

Simon Reeves

Feb 28, 2012, 6:34:20 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Looks very in depth, Cheers!

Simon

Juhani Karlsson

Feb 28, 2012, 7:56:42 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Great work man! Does it write point velocities for motion blur?
I tried to render with motion blur with no success.

Thanks a lot! : )
- Juhani

Amaan Akram

Feb 28, 2012, 8:08:42 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
very nice Leonard. Thanks for sharing.
--
3D Artist/TD @ The Mill, London

Leonard Koch

Feb 28, 2012, 8:58:22 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Motion blur is working.
Are you trying to render the Lightning-whip scene? The version I have supplied in the sample scenes is set up for 2D motionblur. Set the shutter under Renderer->Optimization to 1 and it will work.

If you are having issues in another scene it would be great if you could elaborate a little on your issue so we can figure it out.

Juhani Karlsson

Feb 28, 2012, 9:07:25 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Ok. I will test it out! Thanks!
Looks bloody cool in Arny with GI ; )

- Juhani

Leonard Koch

Feb 28, 2012, 9:09:58 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Oh cool, I think you might take the prize for being the first one to render LKL with Arnold!

Paul Griswold

Feb 28, 2012, 10:05:00 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm getting the following error when I try to run the BasicSetup, I get:

pplication.ApplyOp("ICETree", "LKLightning_BasicSetup1", "siNode", "siPersistentOperation", "", 0)
# ERROR : 21000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Unspecified failure
Application.AddICECompoundNode("", "LKLightning_BasicSetup1.pointcloud.ICETree")
# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 72, in OnLKL_Basic_SetupMenuClicked
#     app.AddICECompoundNode("LKL Core", PCName + ".pointcloud.ICETree")
#   File "<COMObject Application>", line 2, in AddICECompoundNode
# COM Error: Unspecified error (0x-7fffbffb) - [line 71 in \\Alienbrain\raid\XSI_Workgroup\Workgroup\Addons\LK Lightning 1.0\Application\Plugins\LKL_Basic_Setup.py]

-Paul

Leonard Koch

Feb 28, 2012, 10:22:21 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It is highly recommended that you restart Softimage after installing LK Lightning.
Doing so should get rid of that error.

Leonard Koch

Feb 28, 2012, 10:24:26 AM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Alternatively you can open up your ice-tree and hit the little update arrows next to the search box, which forces Softimage to reload all the ICE nodes just like a full restart would.

Juhani Karlsson

Feb 28, 2012, 2:56:26 PM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Heres fast arny test from earlier today. : ) With missing frame!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53410286/electric_Main.mov

Cool stuff!
- Juhani
2012/2/28 Leonard Koch <leonard...@gmail.com>
Alternatively you can open up your ice-tree and hit the little update arrows next to the search box, which forces Softimage to reload all the ICE nodes just like a full restart would.

Halim Negadi

Feb 28, 2012, 3:05:55 PM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
For those who messed around ages ago with the mr lightning shaders that were casting randomly, uncontrollable  electric arcs between nulls, with of course no feedback whatsoever except waiting forever the thing to render, it does mean something. Thanks again Leonard.

Leonard Koch

Feb 28, 2012, 5:05:15 PM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That looks cool! The GI gives it a really neat look. I wish I had access to Arnold.
Did you figure out the motionblur issue?

Thanks for all the flowers guys, I'm glad that you dig it and quite overwhelmed with in how many productions you immediately want to integrate LKL.

Leonard Koch

Feb 28, 2012, 5:33:36 PM2/28/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I have to retract my statement from earlier, motionblur is not working, I was tricked by a camera moving in the same direction as the strands.
Sorry everyone, I'll try to figure it out.

Juhani Karlsson

Feb 29, 2012, 3:53:36 AM2/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks Leonard!
Yeah, I havent gotten them to work yet.
I just turbulized the velocity vectors in that render. : )

- Juhani

ThierryBaret

Feb 29, 2012, 5:05:46 AM2/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Was there not also a plugin called something like Zzot in Softimage 3D Creative Environment?
Was there not also a plugin called something like Zzot in Softimage 3D Creative Environment?

ThierryBaret

Feb 29, 2012, 1:22:52 PM2/29/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
That's it, I couldn't find the name anymore...

Thierry

Andy Moorer

Mar 1, 2012, 1:05:17 PM3/1/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It's very cool, well done indeed. A couple of feedback points from a quick perusal of the toolset...

  • "splitting" via split at random segments does not affect the first strand.
  • A "stop at split" stopper compound would be useful, to kill a strand where it splits (ie creating a "jagged line" look)... doubly useful if it stops a definable distance after the split.
Overall it's super cool and a pleasure to use, nice job Leonard.

Andy Moorer

Mar 1, 2012, 1:13:51 PM3/1/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Actually on closer inspection it appears the first strand is split, but not spread so the child strands all end up overlapping their parent.

Leonard Koch

Mar 1, 2012, 1:42:03 PM3/1/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Thanks for the feedback.

Could you provide some repro steps for that? For me that doesn't happen when I just do the basic setup and add a splitter. Everything splits correctly and there are no overlapping strands.
It is a bug I fixed a couple of days before the release of version 1.00 so it might be the case that I made a huge mistake and uploaded an outdated version.
Just to be sure I've attached the most recent version.
Alternatively here is a downloadlink for it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32633912/LK%20Lightning%201.01.rar

I'll see how I can implement the stop at split functionality the best way.
LK Lightning 1.01.rar

Andy Moorer

Mar 1, 2012, 2:35:13 PM3/1/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sure, here's a repro scene. Cheers!
LKL_lightningTest_AMoorer0301.zip

Leonard Koch

Mar 1, 2012, 2:50:03 PM3/1/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Okay, I must have given you guys an outdated version.
I sincerely apologize for wasting your time. The next release will be smother.
Use version 1.01 and it should work perfectly fine.

Once again the plugin is attached attached and alternatively here is a download-link:
LK Lightning 1.01.xsiaddon

Ed Manning

Mar 1, 2012, 10:20:23 PM3/1/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
test

Alan Fregtman

Mar 2, 2012, 8:36:49 AM3/2/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
There's a test?! Nobody said there'd be a test! :o

On 3/1/2012 10:20 PM, Ed Manning wrote:
> test

Ed Harriss

Mar 2, 2012, 8:48:08 AM3/2/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Test? I expected a pop quiz...maybe, but not a test!
Help!

On 3/1/2012 Alan Fregtman wrote

Darren Macpherson

Mar 2, 2012, 9:31:30 AM3/2/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
So cruel on a Friday too!

Andy Moorer

Mar 2, 2012, 1:05:01 PM3/2/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Oh crap (grabs notes).

Ed Manning

Mar 2, 2012, 1:09:59 PM3/2/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Everybody passes!

dominik

Mar 5, 2012, 10:22:57 AM3/5/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Morning!

It looks really interesting and useful! I’m taking a look at this nice sets of compounds.

Thanks for sharing Leonard!

Dominik Kirouac // SHED
artiste 3D

1410, RUE STANLEY, 11E ÉTAGE MONTRÉAL (QUÉBEC) H3A 1P8
T 514 849-1555 F 514 849-5025 WWW.SHEDMTL.COM

Mar 5, 2012, 11:30:11 AM3/5/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Version 1.5 with working motionblur and quite a few new features coming in a couple days...
In the meantime, 3Delight in it's superiority to MentalRay renders perfect motionblur for LKL, even on version 1.0.

Thanks for appreciating the work!