Freeze ICE tree to geometry?

Tim Crowson

Jul 9, 2012, 6:24:13 PM7/9/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I'm needing to freeze the results of my non-simulated ICE tree to geometry so I can optimize its use in another ICE tree. (wanting to scatter something that was built by a scatter to beginwith).

Concerns about geo density not-withstanding, is there a way to freeze a non-simulated ICE tree to editable geometry?

--

Tim Crowson
Lead CG Artist

Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.
2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214
Ph  615.885.6801 | Fax  615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com
tim.c...@magneticdreams.com

phil harbath

Jul 10, 2012, 1:05:36 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
momentum instancer perhaps.
md_logo.gif

Sandy Sutherland

Jul 10, 2012, 1:45:34 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
What are you rendering with?

S.

_____________________________
Sandy Sutherland
Technical Supervisor
sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
_____________________________

Jul 10, 2012, 11:10:46 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This is one of the features I miss the most.
Baking particle instances to real geometry retaining UVs and Materials.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 10:06:54 -0500
> Von: Tim Crowson <tim.c...@magneticdreams.com>
> An: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> Betreff: Re: Freeze ICE tree to geometry?

> I'm rendering this with Mental Ray. I found a solution that lets me
> render what I want without having to freeze it to geo. But it would
> still be nice to know how to do it.
>
> -Tim
>
> On 7/10/2012 12:45 AM, Sandy Sutherland wrote:
> > What are you rendering with?
> >
> > S.
> >
> > _____________________________
> > Sandy Sutherland
> > Technical Supervisor
> > sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
> > _____________________________

Chris Marshall

Jul 10, 2012, 11:36:51 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
would be very very useful for Shapeways printing!
--

Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited

Sandy Sutherland

Jul 10, 2012, 11:29:10 AM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
MR you pretty much have to make the geometry.

S.

_____________________________
Sandy Sutherland
Technical Supervisor
sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
_____________________________

Jul 10, 2012, 12:19:33 PM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This only works with a single instance master unfortunately :(

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:47:51 +0100
> Von: Rob Chapman <tekan...@gmail.com>
> An: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> Betreff: Re: Freeze ICE tree to geometry?

Steven Caron

Jul 10, 2012, 1:11:22 PM7/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
its not a 'one-click' solution but you can make this work.

create an empty particle cloud and an empty polymesh per instance master. in the particle cloud use the original cloud as input and filter out based on a custom attribute, like an integer and use that same integer to set the shape instance. then use that filtered cloud with the linked ice modeling compound from guillaume below.

this is how crowdfx does it... this task is tricky to do with ICE using a single polymesh/particle cloud which uses multiple instance masters.

Mihail Djurev

Jul 11, 2012, 9:11:27 AM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Hello SI list!

Tim, could you share with us how you achieved that?

Mihail

Tim Crowson

Jul 11, 2012, 10:29:47 AM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It's actually nothing very interesting. In fact it's bad for performance. I'm using Milan Vasek's (awesome) scatter tools to scatter small spikes on a stick (somewhat like the small spikes on an evergreen frond). Only about 100-150 of them. Then I parent the resulting pointcloud to the emitter geo (the stick) and use that as the instance source for a second scatter system. This gives me the control I want for both scatter systems. However, if I manually model the equivalent of the first scatter system, and use that as the instance source for the second system instead of another Scatter, performance is far better. Which stands to reason.

Would someone smart kindly make an L-system in ICE?
:)

-Tim C.

Ciaran Moloney

Jul 11, 2012, 10:39:33 AM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Can't you just freeze the first scatter system? It should keep all the particle attributes as they were. Or, drop an empty simulation region into it, so the scatter system will only ever be evaluated once instead of every frame.

Ciaran
--
- Ciaran

Tim Crowson

Jul 11, 2012, 10:50:28 AM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I can, and I do eventually, but I don't have any control over the subcomponents in that frozen system. I can't model on top of it, extract anything, or tweak anything. It's literally a locked pointcloud with inaccessible geo in it.

Or is it? Is there some way of accessing the raw geo inside it that I have overlooked?

-Tim
momentum instancer perhaps.

Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.
2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214
Ph  615.885.6801 | Fax  615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com
tim.c...@magneticdreams.com

- Ciaran

Sandy Sutherland

Jul 11, 2012, 11:13:08 AM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
If you freeze the pointcloud - you can easily add an ice tree to it and for e.g. just change the instance shape to another using that new ice tree - the system is very powerful that way, the new ice tree just builds upon the data frozen into the point cloud.

S.

_____________________________
Sandy Sutherland
Technical Supervisor
sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
_____________________________

Jul 11, 2012, 11:43:56 AM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Exactly. That's the problem I'd like to find a solution for. Obviously, I don't want to go converting 40 bazillion ICE polygons to real polygons. But a few thousand, sure.

Modo's replicators, while not in the same league as ICE in terms of power, make it very easy to convert those instances to geo by merely 'freezing.' Of course, Softimage lacks any native function for converting instances to independant geo, so I guess it's a related obstacle. Still, with ICE modeling, seems like the tech is there to allow this kind of conversion somewhere inside Soft.

-Tim

Sandy Sutherland

Jul 11, 2012, 12:01:30 PM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Why not - we did feathers like this for Zambezia - worked ok.

_____________________________
Sandy Sutherland
Technical Supervisor
sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za
_____________________________

Sent: 11 July 2012 17:43

Ciaran Moloney

Jul 11, 2012, 12:15:47 PM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
OK. Here goes... This was an old half-finished RnD experiment that was never used in anger, but maybe will help you out. I ended up experiencing quite a few crashes so I never bothered with it again.

The caveat is that you must use a per-point ICE integer attribute to choose the index of an instance shape from a group, when instancing on the pointcloud. On the ICE mesh topo tree you must connect that same group as an input and select the index attribute you used in the pointcloud. You can transfer attributes (Color and ID shown here) and you'll also be provided poly-island IDs and shape IDs.

It probably sucks badly on heavy geo.

Use at your own risk....

Ciaran
--
- Ciaran
CM_InstanceToMesh.jpg

Grahame Fuller

Jul 11, 2012, 12:27:25 PM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Let me know how the attached compound works. To use it, you'll need to store the particles' shape instance ID as a custom attribute and specify it in the compouind.

It uses the 2013 version of Build Array from Set which supports topology-type attributes. To use it with Softimage v2012, you'll need to replace it with Build Array from Per Point Data.

gray

________________________________

On 7/11/2012 9:39 AM, Ciaran Moloney wrote:

Can't you just freeze the first scatter system? It should keep all the

particle attributes as they were. Or, drop an empty simulation region into it,

so the scatter system will only ever be evaluated once instead of every

frame.

Ciaran

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Tim Crowson

sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za<mailto:sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za><mailto:sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za><mailto:sandy.su...@triggerfish.co.za>

_____________________________

________________________________

softimag...@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:softimag...@listproc.autodesk.com><mailto:softimag...@listproc.autodesk.com><mailto:softimag...@listproc.autodesk.com>

[softimag...@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:softimag...@listproc.autodesk.com><mailto:softimag...@listproc.autodesk.com><mailto:softimag...@listproc.autodesk.com>] on behalf of phil harbath

[phil.h...@jamination.com<mailto:phil.h...@jamination.com><mailto:phil.h...@jamination.com><mailto:phil.h...@jamination.com>]

Sent: 10 July 2012 07:05

soft...@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:soft...@listproc.autodesk.com><mailto:soft...@listproc.autodesk.com><mailto:soft...@listproc.autodesk.com>

momentum instancer perhaps.

I'm needing to freeze the results of my non-simulated ICE tree to geometry

so I can optimize its use in another ICE tree. (wanting to scatter

something that was built by a scatter to beginwith).

Concerns about geo density not-withstanding, is there a way to freeze a

non-simulated ICE tree to editable geometry?

--

Tim Crowson

Lead CG Artist

Magnetic Dreams Animation Studio, Inc.

2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214

Ph 615.885.6801 | Fax 615.889.4768 |

www.magneticdreams.com<http://www.magneticdreams.com><http://www.magneticdreams.com><http://www.magneticdreams.com>

tim.c...@magneticdreams.com<mailto:tim.c...@magneticdreams.com><mailto:tim.c...@magneticdreams.com><mailto:tim.c...@magneticdreams.com>
Instances to Mesh.xsicompound

Steven Caron

Jul 11, 2012, 1:44:48 PM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
its there, its just not a single click.

also implementing it through ICE means you have to implement the logic too... thats actually the hard part in my opinion. at least if you try to do it with pure ICE workflow. if you want a run once script that can be done quite easy and i think has been done many times over. which leads me to another question/point... do you want animation on the objects too? cause that changes some things...

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Jul 11, 2012, 2:01:55 PM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Steven Caron

Jul 11, 2012, 2:23:01 PM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
yes, but it was already linked :)

leo's issue with this compound was that it worked with only one instance master.

Guillaume Laforge

Jul 11, 2012, 4:51:54 PM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
No, it supports multi-instance masters, unless my memory is really bugged ;)

But I doubt as I remember supporting more than one shape was the interesting thing in building this compound.

Cheers,

Guillaume Laforge

Steven Caron

Jul 11, 2012, 4:55:37 PM7/11/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
im confused... when i used it i had issue with particle clouds with many different instance shapes and if i deleted particles. maybe you updated it?

regardless ciaran's looks like it works and if that doesn't i know a user can employ the same technique used by crowdfx to get a polymesh per instance shape.

Leo Quensel

Jul 12, 2012, 4:29:10 AM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Well it kinda works if you plug in each instance master manually - it does not support groups however, which I totally need. I have over a hundred instance masters in my case which would make the problem of plugging them up one by one rather cumbersome. Even though it can possibly be scripted it would make the ICEtree interaction ultra slow.
Furthermore, the demo scene does not copy the
instances exactly but randomly distributes them it seems - the point cloud and the mesh do not match, while I need an exact match from the point cloud to the generated mesh, preserving UVs aswell as Material information.

Another possibility is scripting this using the point cloud information to distribute duplicated meshes, which is pretty easy indeed. This is however ULTRA slow - it took almost 90 seconds to distribute 50 copies of my instance masters (simple grids). I need to distribute 12.0000, so this is no
solution either (the Duplicate function is really, really slow in Soft).

The best solution so far? Bring the pointcloud and instance masters over to Maya and do the duplication there :(

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:55:37 -0700
> Von: Steven Caron <car...@gmail.com>
> An: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> Betreff: Re: Freeze ICE tree to geometry?

> im confused... when i used it i had issue with particle clouds with many
> different instance shapes and if i deleted particles. maybe you updated
> it?
>
> regardless ciaran's looks like it works and if that doesn't i know a user
> can employ the same technique used by crowdfx to get a polymesh per
> instance shape.
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Guillaume Laforge <
> guillaume....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > No, it supports multi-instance masters, unless my memory is really
> bugged
> > ;)
> >
> > But I doubt as I remember supporting more than one shape was the
> > interesting thing in building this compound.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Guillaume Laforge
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Steven Caron <car...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> yes, but it was already linked :)
> >>
> >> leo's issue with this compound was that it worked with only one
> instance
> >> master.

Guillaume Laforge

Jul 12, 2012, 5:37:26 AM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Yes, my compound doesn't support groups as I explained in the video. This is because ICE can't deal with separate meshes from a group.

About the sample scene, as explain in the video, to match the original point cloud you must use the same ID (in a compound that I don't remember the name :) ).

Again, I never test seriously this compound so it is maybe buggy. But anyone can improve it and share it.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Leo Quensel <le...@gmx.de> wrote:
Well it kinda works if you plug in each instance master manually - it does not support groups however, which I totally need. I have over a hundred instance masters in my case which would make the problem of plugging them up one by one rather cumbersome. Even though it can possibly be scripted it would make the ICEtree interaction ultra slow.
Furthermore, the demo scene does not copy the
instances exactly ebut randomly distributes them it seems - the point cloud and the mesh do not match, while I need an exact match from the point cloud to the generated mesh, preserving UVs aswell as Material information.

Ciaran Moloney

Jul 12, 2012, 5:53:03 AM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Did Grahame's or my compound work for you? I'd say his would be your best bet since the point of mine was to allow attribute transfer onto the final mesh, which adds some overhead for sure.

Ciaran
--
- Ciaran

Leo Quensel

Jul 12, 2012, 8:28:06 AM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
It does work in creating the actual topology yes. Thank you for that.
For the material transfer I think there is a limitation in that you cannot access material data in ICE unless it has been set by ICE (At least I couldn't do it).
Therefore you probably have to deploy an ICETree to each instance master setting the materialID and use that back in the created mesh to
reassign the materials.

I think this is a good exercise for writing a first C++ plugin for me and
see how far I can get ;)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:53:03 +0100
> Von: Ciaran Moloney <moloney...@gmail.com>

Guillaume Laforge

Jul 12, 2012, 9:49:12 AM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
> Therefore you probably have to deploy an ICETree to each instance master setting the materialID

Correct, and as Steven mentioned, this is how materials are propagated in CrowdFX, by applying an ICETree to set materials on the source geometry. The 'Materials ICETrees' are created using a python script, so you can take a look at the code (I'm not in front of Soft so I can't tell in which file it is exactly, but I guess it is in the helper module of the CrowdFX addon). That could help you in writing it in C++ (if you really need to, as calling directly native c++ commands from python is not really slow).

Cheers,
Guillaume

Grahame Fuller

Jul 12, 2012, 11:59:25 AM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Actually I’ve got a way to transfer attributes that works with groups (tested and proven with UVs so far). I still need to finish it up and make it pretty but if you want to try the technique yourself in the meantime it’s based on finding locations. So e.g. you multiply a polynode’s position by the inverse SRT of its parent particle, then by the SRT of its instance master, then find closest location on the group geometry. Now you can use the lcoation to look up anything. Same principle for point, edge, and polygon positions. You may need to move the instance masters apart if they are overlapping.

No idea how fast this will be on production examples…

gray

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Leo Quensel <le...@gmx.de<mailto:le...@gmx.de>> wrote:
It does work in creating the actual topology yes. Thank you for that.
For the material transfer I think there is a limitation in that you cannot access material data in ICE unless it has been set by ICE (At least I couldn't do it).
Therefore you probably have to deploy an ICETree to each instance master setting the materialID and use that back in the created mesh to
reassign the materials.

I think this is a good exercise for writing a first C++ plugin for me and
see how far I can get ;)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:53:03 +0100
> Von: Ciaran Moloney <moloney...@gmail.com<mailto:moloney...@gmail.com>>
> An: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:soft...@listproc.autodesk.com>
> Betreff: Re: Freeze ICE tree to geometry?

> Did Grahame's or my compound work for you? I'd say his would be your best
> bet since the point of mine was to allow attribute transfer onto the final
> mesh, which adds some overhead for sure.
>
> Ciaran
>
> > > Von: Steven Caron <car...@gmail.com<mailto:car...@gmail.com>>
> > > An: soft...@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:soft...@listproc.autodesk.com>
> > > Betreff: Re: Freeze ICE tree to geometry?
> >
> > > im confused... when i used it i had issue with particle clouds with
> many
> > > different instance shapes and if i deleted particles. maybe you
> updated
> > > it?
> > >
> > > regardless ciaran's looks like it works and if that doesn't i know a
> user
> > > can employ the same technique used by crowdfx to get a polymesh per
> > > instance shape.

> > > bugged

> > > instance

> http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1579****

winmail.dat

Grahame Fuller

Jul 12, 2012, 3:12:59 PM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
So here’s what I’ve got so far. Let me know how it works, especially performance-wise. So far it’s only had cursory testing.

To use, put Convert Instances to Mesh in an ICE tree on an empty mesh. It works only with the “self” object. You also need to store the shape index on the point cloud and reference it in the compound’s ppg. To transfer attributes, attach one of the Transfer compounds to the Execute port – there’s one for each component type.

If you transfer the MaterialIDs, then you can use the Copy Materials checkbox. This works only if all objects in the group have identical Materials arrays.

The transfer is based on finding locations on the group geometry, so it’s best to move the instance masters apart if they overlap.

gray
Instances to Mesh.zip

Grahame Fuller

Jul 12, 2012, 3:26:06 PM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
P.S. It doesn’t do any error-checking yet, like Ciaran’s does for invalid shape indices.

Ciaran, did you find issues with that, or were you just being cautious?
winmail.dat

Fabricio Chamon

Jul 12, 2012, 5:27:11 PM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
thanks for the compounds Grahame!

I've made a quick test here, but for some reason it skips some
instances...screenshot attached. (SI 2013)
instancesToMesh_Test.jpg

Grahame Fuller

Jul 12, 2012, 5:33:49 PM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Check whether those are out-of-range shape IDs. The Instance Shape node can be set to clamp or wrap around, but my compound does neither.

gray

Jul 12, 2012, 5:57:47 PM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Try this one. In addition to an option to clamp or wrap around I also added a check where I invert the matrix (although I'd be surprised if anyone scaled their instances to 0 but you never know).

gray

Jul 12, 2012, 6:05:28 PM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Sorry, it's been too long since I worked on that compound at that so I can only second guess myself. The answer is yes!

Grahame Fuller

Jul 12, 2012, 6:15:23 PM7/12/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Well, I think Fabricio found out what happens. I'm always careful to set my range, and I forgot that Instance Shape had those built-in options that I guess many people rely on.

Thanks,
gray

Jul 13, 2012, 12:26:42 PM7/13/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
yes, that was it! The randomize value by range (set to 0 - 1) was
returning -1. So a clamp solved the issue.
Nice you already put this inside your compound. thanks Grahame, this
compound is super!

Grahame Fuller

Jul 13, 2012, 1:42:47 PM7/13/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Glad to hear. I was an interesting exercise, and kinda fun too.

gray

Jul 27, 2012, 8:58:29 AM7/27/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This is a pretty late reply to a closed topic, but I just ran into this problem and found that soft has a built in alternative to this.
http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/ikine_kinematics2_ControllingObjectTransformationswithParticles.htm
Hope it helps someone
-----
No virus found in this message.

Vincent Ullmann

Aug 10, 2012, 7:13:32 PM8/10/12
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Got a little Idea and Problem..

resently i saw that one could GET the Shape of a Particle and work with this. (Equal-Node didnt work with Shapes....????..... But Find-in-Array does)

So i made this ICE-Tree... see attatchmends.

To get the hole thing working properly, i need to Create a Array of all possible Shapes. For the Basic-Shapes this would be no big Problem.. but how to to this with InstaceShapes?
Unfortainly the Instance-Shape-Node and the Shape-DataType got some limitations.

Here are some Screenshots of my Results, ICE-Tree and NotWorkingSolutions for my Problem
Instance_to_Geo_v01_Result.jpg
Instance_to_Geo_v01_Tree.jpg
Instance_to_Geo_v01_Problem.jpg