Using self-signed certificates...

Tom Gee

Feb 11, 2010, 1:08:36 PM2/11/10
to xnat_discussion
Hi all.

I've been trying to secure our XNAT installation with a self-signed
certificate (as you do with Central).

The main screens were working fine, but when I uploaded some image
data, the transfer pipeline failed and reported errors in establishing
a secure connection.

Is that problem likely related to the fact that the cert was self-
signed? How do you get around this problem in Central?

(I'm sorry for the lack of error messages ... I've misplaced those
logs. But I'm configuring a test system and will try to reproduce the
error with proper logging.)

Thanks for any help!
Tom
---

Tom Gee

Feb 11, 2010, 1:56:19 PM2/11/10
to xnat_discussion
Ok, I've rerun the upload on the test site.

In application.log was the error:

2010-02-11 13:49:37,801 [Thread-15] ERROR
org.nrg.pipeline.ProcessLauncher - Couldnt launch /usr/local/xnat/
xnat1.4rc3-spred3/pipeline/bin/XnatPipelineLauncher -pipeline
xnat_tools/Transfer.xml -id SPRED3_E00002 -label 002 -host
https://localhost:8080/spred3 -supressNotification -u admin -dataType
xnat:mrSessionData -project "RAMaster" -notify tgee@rotman-
baycrest.on.ca -notify tg...@rotman-baycrest.on.ca -parameter tbpath='/
usr/xnat/spred3/cachearchive/RAMaster/Thumbnail/' -parameter
cachepath='/usr/xnat/spred3/cachearchive/RAMaster/transfer_bk/
20100211_134910/001' -parameter xnat_project='RAMaster' -parameter
userfullname='A.Admin' -parameter cpath='/usr/xnat/spred3/
cachearchive/RAMaster/' -parameter useremail='tgee@rotman-
baycrest.on.ca' -parameter mailhost='rotman-baycrest.on.ca' -
parameter session='SPRED3_E00002' -parameter sourceDir='/usr/xnat/
spred3/prearchive/RAMaster/20100211_134910/001' -parameter
xnatserver='SPRED3' -parameter destinationDir='/usr/xnat/spred3/
archive/RAMaster/arc001/002/' -parameter createQc='1' -parameter
sessionType='xnat:mrSessionData' -parameter adminemail='tgee@rotman-
baycrest.on.ca' -parameter sessionLabel='002' -pwd 'cfokl'

When I ran the command from the command line as root, the output up to
the first error is:

Param Value Pair host=https://localhost:8080/spred3/
Param Value Pair u=admin
Param Value Pair tbpath=/usr/xnat/spred3/cachearchive/RAMaster/
Thumbnail/
Param Value Pair cachepath=/usr/xnat/spred3/cachearchive/RAMaster/
transfer_bk/20100211_134910/001
Param Value Pair xnat_project=RAMaster
Param Value Pair userfullname=A.Admin
Param Value Pair cpath=/usr/xnat/spred3/cachearchive/RAMaster/
Param Value Pair useremail=tg...@rotman-baycrest.on.ca
Param Value Pair mailhost=rotman-baycrest.on.ca
Param Value Pair session=SPRED3_E00002
Param Value Pair sourceDir=/usr/xnat/spred3/prearchive/RAMaster/
20100211_134910/001
Param Value Pair xnatserver=SPRED3
Param Value Pair destinationDir=/usr/xnat/spred3/archive/RAMaster/
arc001/002/
Param Value Pair createQc=1
Param Value Pair sessionType=xnat:mrSessionData
Param Value Pair adminemail=tg...@rotman-baycrest.on.ca
Param Value Pair sessionLabel=002
Param Value Pair pwd=********
Logging to File /usr/local/xnat/xnat1.4rc3-spred3/pipeline/logs/
pipeline_2010_02_11_13_51_40.log
AxisFault
faultCode: {http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}
Server.userException
faultSubcode:
faultString: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to
find valid certification path to requested target
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:
{http://xml.apache.org/axis/}
stackTrace:javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to
find valid certification path to requested target
at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:192)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1627)
at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:204)

The error "unable to find valid certification path" is what made me
wonder about using a self-signed certificate.

The more I look at this, the less it appears to be an XNAT problem
then simply a problem using tomcat with self-signed certs. I'll
pursue the latter, but if anyone has any hints, I would gratefully
receive them. :-)

Thanks!
Tom
---

Tom Gee

Feb 11, 2010, 2:31:13 PM2/11/10
to xnat_discussion
Ok, next step.

I got around the "unable to find valid certification path" issue.
That problem arose because the certificate was not signed by a
recognized authority. The way around it is to import the certificate
itself into your host's JDK "cacerts" file, a store of recognized and
acceptable keys.

The instructions may be found here:
http://www.java-samples.com/showtutorial.php?tutorialid=210

However, a new problem has arisen later in the pipeline processing.
When the tool "WebBasedQCImageCreator" runs, it fails with a SAX
error.

The command was:

/usr/local/xnat/xnat1.4rc3-spred3/pipeline/image-tools/bin/
WebBasedQCImageCreator -session 004 -project RAMaster -xnatId
SPRED3_E00003 -host https://localhost:8080/spred3/ -u admin -pwd cfokl
-raw

And the output was:
(org.apache.axis.i18n.ProjectResourceBundle).
Feb 11, 2010 2:25:42 PM com.noelios.restlet.Engine createHelper
WARNING: No available client connector supports the required
protocols: 'HTTPS' . Please add the JAR of a matching connector to
your classpath.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.
at org.nrg.xdat.bean.reader.XDATXMLReader.parse(XDATXMLReader.java:
997)
at
org.nrg.plexiViewer.converter.WebBasedQCImageCreator.createQCImages(WebBasedQCImageCreator.java:
135)
at
org.nrg.plexiViewer.converter.WebBasedQCImageCreator.main(WebBasedQCImageCreator.java:
521)

Any ideas?
Tom

Mohana Ramaratnam

Feb 12, 2010, 11:12:36 AM2/12/10
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
A fix has been made to enable Snapshots to be generated when XNAT site use the HTTPS protocol. Please update the pipeline engine setup.

The engine folder structure has been modified to facilitate launching setup mult
iple times.

Mohana
  Tom