Upload applet - Connection refused exception

Sandra Tecelao

Feb 12, 2015, 4:56:45 AM2/12/15
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we are trying to upload MR images on our fresh installation of XNAT (build from code). However we get this error (see below):

Applet startup failed; please contact admini...@xnat.org for help.
Error details:
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
    at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:178)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:432)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:527)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:211)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:308)
    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:326)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLConnection.java:997)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.java:933)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:851)
    at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1301)
    at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:468)
    at org.nrg.net.RestServer.request(RestServer.java:414)
    at org.nrg.net.RestServer.getUserAuthMessage(RestServer.java:208)
    at org.nrg.upload.ui.UploadAssistantApplet.start(UploadAssistantApplet.java:143)
    at com.sun.deploy.uitoolkit.impl.awt.AWTAppletAdapter.start(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

It seems like a permission issue, in the restlet.log file we can see messages like this:
2015-02-12 10:37:41,933 [http-bio-8080-exec-6] WARN  org.nrg.xnat.restlet.resources.ConfigResource - Couldn't find config for user admin and project qw on tool [resource_config] path [script]
2015-02-12 10:38:33,860 [http-bio-8080-exec-13] WARN  org.nrg.xnat.restlet.resources.ConfigResource - Couldn't find config for user admin and project qw on tool [seriesImportFilter] path [config]
2015-02-12 10:38:33,868 [http-bio-8080-exec-12] WARN  org.nrg.xnat.restlet.resources.ConfigResource - Couldn't find config for user admin and project qw on tool [tracers] path [tracers]
2015-02-12 10:38:34,051 [http-bio-8080-exec-12] WARN  org.nrg.xnat.restlet.resources.ConfigResource - Couldn't find config for user admin and project qw on tool [resource_config] path [script]

But we don't know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sandra Tecelão

restlet.log
access.log

Herrick, Rick

Feb 13, 2015, 7:28:29 PM2/13/15
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

The restlet error messages are unrelated. Those really shouldn’t be warnings but should be set at a lower logging level (I actually just made a code change to do that; those messages get on my nerves).

There are two possible causes for this error, neither of which will result in a message being logged on the server because what’s actually happening here is that nothing is ever reaching the server. The server can’t log what it doesn’t receive.

That error is at the point where the applet first tries to contact the server to establish an authenticated session, so it’s totally failing to get through to the server. That means something is blocking the connection or otherwise preventing the applet from reaching the server.

This could be a firewall issue, but I doubt it, because you’re able to reach the server to get the applet loaded in the first place. I suspect it’s an address issue. What you need to do is verify that you’re accessing your XNAT instance from the same URL that’s specified in the application settings. In XNAT itself, go to Administer->Configuration, then, on the Site Information tab, look at the setting for Site URL. Make sure this is set to the same URL that you’re using to access your XNAT instance. This URL is what the applet uses to access XNAT. If it’s different from the XNAT address, all kinds of weird problems can ensue, but one of the big ones is the applet doing something like this.

Let me know if this clears up the issue.something like this.

Let me know if this clears up the issue.

Rick Herrick

Sr. Programmer/Analyst

Neuroinformatics Research Group

(314) 827-4250

The material in this message is private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information (PHI). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.

Sandra Tecelao

Feb 16, 2015, 5:12:16 AM2/16/15
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

thank you very much for your reply.
We changed the Site URL at the Administer -> Configuration, which indeed was not the same as the one we were using. Now we do not get the error message but the applet is not loading.
We just see this message:

"This tool supports uploading DICOM and ECAT formatted medical imaging data. If you are unsure of the format of your data, please contact the help desk for assistance. The tool takes a few moments to load, during which time you may see a blank screen below. Please be patient while the tool loads. The tool requires Java 1.6 or newer to operate. If your browser does not have this version of Java installed, please contact your IT support for assistance."

And we've got these error message on the velocity.log file:

2015-02-16 10:43:25,226 [http-bio-8080-exec-10] ERROR velocity - RHS of #set statement is null. Context will not be modified. screens/LaunchUploadApplet.vm [line 110, column 13]
2015-02-16 10:43:25,227 [http-bio-8080-exec-10] ERROR velocity - RHS of #set statement is null. Context will not be modified. screens/LaunchUploadApplet.vm [line 111, column 1]
2015-02-16 10:43:27,225 [http-bio-8080-exec-9] ERROR velocity - RHS of #set statement is null. Context will not be modified. screens/LaunchUploadApplet.vm [line 110, column 13]
2015-02-16 10:43:27,225 [http-bio-8080-exec-9] ERROR velocity - RHS of #set statement is null. Context will not be modified. screens/LaunchUploadApplet.vm [line 111, column 1]

These are the lines on the LaunchUploadApplet.vm:
#set($project = $om.getProject())
#set($part_id = $!subject)

These error messages are strange as we do have a subject and a project.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Sandra Tecelao