Cannot view any applets on one specific machine

Sanket Gupte

Apr 25, 2013, 10:11:39 AM4/25/13
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have 1.6.1 and I am trying to open xnat on a machine that has Java IcedTea plugin (and openJDK).
and it gives the following message on the console when I open an applet.

--------------------------------------
java version "1.7.0_15"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.7) (suse-8.3.1-x86_64)
Unable to find class net.sourceforge.jnlp.security.VariableX509TrustManagerJDK7
JAR https://something.something.gov/applet/log4j-1.2.16.jar not found. Continuing.
JAR https://something.something.gov/applet/xdat-beans-1.6.1.jar not found. Continuing.
JAR https://something.something.gov/applet/nrgutil-1.0.1.jar not found. Continuing.
JAR https://something.something.gov/applet/imagej-1.44.update.jar not found. Continuing.
JAR https://something.something.gov/applet/PlexiViewerLite-1.6.1.jar not found. Continuing.
JAR https://something.something.gov/applet/commons-lang-2.5.jar not found. Continuing.
netx: Initialization Error: Could not initialize applet. (org.nrg.plexiViewer.lite.applet.PlexiViewerApplet)
netx: Initialization Error: Could not initialize applet. (org.nrg.plexiViewer.lite.applet.PlexiViewerApplet)
net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Initialization Error: Could not initialize applet.
        at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.createApplet(Launcher.java:754)
        at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.getApplet(Launcher.java:687)
        at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:905)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.nrg.plexiViewer.lite.applet.PlexiViewerApplet
        at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:1609)
        at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.createApplet(Launcher.java:744)
        ... 2 more
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.sourceforge.jnlp.NetxPanel.runLoader(NetxPanel.java:154)
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:380)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:430)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

------------------------------
I would like to mention here that everything (all applets) work fine on other machines with the Sun/Oracle Java and it's plugins.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot
Good day
Sanket

Herrick, Rick

Apr 25, 2013, 12:29:57 PM4/25/13
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

It’s been a while since we’ve used IcedTea here because there were so many problems with it. That was back on 1.6 versions of the plug-in around the time that all of the security issues around the JVM plugin started cropping up, so I have no particular experience with later 1.7 versions of the plugin. But basically, since the difference between machines that work and machines that don’t is the Oracle/Java plugin vs. the IcedTea plugin, I’m guessing that that’s to blame.

And… a bit of poking at it and yeah, it’s IcedTea:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2012-September/020228.html

Basically it’s missing that security library, which helps deal with mismatched auth certificates, which is why you can’t download any of your jar files. Newer versions may or may not have a fix in them.

The material in this message is private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information (PHI). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.

Sanket Gupte

Apr 25, 2013, 4:47:12 PM4/25/13
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Okay. Thanks. Didn't bother looking into problems of IceTea and the patches.. Just installed Oracle Java and it all works fine now.

Thanks.