xnat 1.7 installation problem

Ibrahim A

Dec 6, 2016, 5:18:54 PM12/6/16
to xnat_discussion
Dear all,
I have installed Ubuntu server 16.04 and followed all the instructions here [1]. So far, tomcat7 works, Postgresql works. I have a user called xnatu who own tomcat7. I created a databse called xnatd . I extracted the war file to /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/xnat. I also changed the xnat-conf.properties in /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/xnat/WEB-INF/conf to be:
 datasource.driver=org.postgresql.Driver
datasource.url=jdbc:postgresql://localhost/xnatd
datasource.username=xnatu
datasource.password=mypassword

I restart tomcat7 but nothing happens, I got "Unable to connect" in firefox. How the setup create the database contents? in xnat 1.6 we run a sql script but here I don't see this and I htink this step is missing as the database is empty.

Thanks for your input.

Ibraheem

Herrick, Rick

Dec 8, 2016, 11:45:48 AM12/8/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

The xnat-conf.properties within the web app is only provided as a sample and isn’t used directly by the app (it should probably be renamed to indicate that). The only xnat-conf.properties that 1.7 looks at is the one in ${xnat.home}/config. Try putting it there and then restarting Tomcat.

--

Rick Herrick

Sr. Programmer/Analyst

Neuroinformatics Research Group

Ibrahim A

Dec 8, 2016, 2:50:42 PM12/8/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
still have the same problem, I found this line in the catalina.out:
WARNING: Failed to create work directory [/var/lib/tomcat7/work/Catalina/localhost/xnat] for context [/xnat]
I think, the problem is related to permissions but I am not sure how to solve it.
BTW, the new way of installing is much simpler but there is still confusion due to the use of xnat for many things e.g. user, database, ...
It would be nice if the names are different to reduce the confusion e.g.:
xnat user: xnatu
xnat database: xnatdb

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Herrick, Rick <jrhe...@wustl.edu> wrote:

The xnat-conf.properties within the web app is only provided as a sample and isn’t used directly by the app (it should probably be renamed to indicate that). The only xnat-conf.properties that 1.7 looks at is the one in ${xnat.home}/config. Try putting it there and then restarting Tomcat.

--

Rick Herrick

Sr. Programmer/Analyst

Neuroinformatics Research Group

Herrick, Rick

Dec 8, 2016, 3:27:17 PM12/8/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

Using the same name for the database and user is part of the standard PostgreSQL development pattern: if you type “psql” by itself on the command line, it takes your username and tries to open the database with that same name as the database role with that same name. If you have a Vagrant VM built using the XNAT Vagrant project and log in, you can access the database simply by typing “psql”, since the username is xnat as is the database name. We use that pattern to stay consistent with those PostgreSQL development patterns.

Also worth noting: you mention that you extracted the war file to the webapps folder. You can do that if you want, but you can also just copy the war file into the webapps folder and Tomcat will take care of exploding and managing the contents as it needs to.

As far as the permissions issue, you need to make sure all of the Tomcat folders are owned by the user specified in the TOMCAT_USER property. By default, this user is named the same as the service (tomcat7, tomcat, etc.) and all of the folders are owned appropriately. If you change the TOMCAT_USER setting, you need to change the owner accordingly. This is complicated by the fact that the packaged installations of Tomcat on Debian- and Fedora-based systems actually install parts of the Tomcat application in different folders, then “integrate” these parts through symlinks (located in /var/lib/tomcat7 on Debian-based systems and /usr/share/tomcat7 on Fedora-based systems). Changing ownership just through the integrated installation folder doesn’t usually suffice to change permissions on folders that are symlinked. That’s probably why you’re seeing that in the work folder, which is usually symlinked to /var/cache/tomcat7.

You can change ownership for all of the folders quickly with these two commands:

# chown -RH --dereference xnat.xnat /var/lib/tomcat7

# chown --no-dereference xnat.xnat /var/lib/tomcat7/*

Verify the results of these operations:

# ls -ld /var/lib/tomcat7 /var/lib/tomcat7/* /etc/tomcat7 /var/log/tomcat7 /var/cache/tomcat7

drwxr-xr-x 4 xnat xnat 4096 Dec  6 22:41 /etc/tomcat7

drwxr-x--- 3 xnat xnat 4096 Dec  6 22:42 /var/cache/tomcat7

drwxr-xr-x 6 xnat xnat 4096 May 28  2016 /var/lib/tomcat7

drwxr-xr-x 3 xnat xnat 4096 May 28  2016 /var/lib/tomcat7/common

lrwxrwxrwx 1 xnat xnat   12 Jun 19  2015 /var/lib/tomcat7/conf -> /etc/tomcat7

lrwxrwxrwx 1 xnat xnat   17 Jun 19  2015 /var/lib/tomcat7/logs -> ../../log/tomcat7

drwxr-xr-x 3 xnat xnat 4096 May 28  2016 /var/lib/tomcat7/server

drwxr-xr-x 3 xnat xnat 4096 May 28  2016 /var/lib/tomcat7/shared

drwxrwxr-x 3 xnat xnat 4096 Dec  6 22:42 /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps

lrwxrwxrwx 1 xnat xnat   19 Jun 19  2015 /var/lib/tomcat7/work -> ../../cache/tomcat7

drwxr-x--- 2 xnat xnat 4096 Dec  8 20:14 /var/log/tomcat7

--

Rick Herrick

Sr. Programmer/Analyst

Neuroinformatics Research Group

Ibrahim A

Dec 8, 2016, 3:52:24 PM12/8/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,
Many thanks for your time and effort. The previous comments were helpful. I changed the ownership of  /var/cache/tomcat7 to be the same as the tomcat and xnat users which in my case "xnatu".
Now I get an error related to the listener,  here is the log output:
INFO: Deploying web application archive /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/xnat.war
Dec 08, 2016 9:42:29 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig execute
INFO: At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time.
Dec 08, 2016 9:42:30 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: One or more listeners failed to start. Full details will be found in the appropriate container log file
Dec 08, 2016 9:42:30 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Context [/xnat] startup failed due to previous errors
Dec 08, 2016 9:42:30 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deployment of web application archive /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/xnat.war has finished in 10,193 ms
how can I solve it and what is the "the appropriate container log "?
best regards!
Ibraheem

Herrick, Rick

Dec 12, 2016, 10:12:02 AM12/12/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

There are two log folders where you might find info on what’s going on: /var/log/tomcat7 (also linked to /var/lib/tomcat7/log) and ${xnat.home}/logs. Look in those folders and see which ones get updated when you try to start Tomcat. I usually set up a couple windows (I do this with tmux, but you can just open separate terminal windows or whatever works best for you) and run something like this:

$ watch -d ls -l /var/log/tomcat7

And:

$ watch -d ls -l /data/xnat/home/logs

Whenever a log file is updated, the watch command will highlight the changes, so if you keep your eye on those terminals as you’re starting Tomcat, you can see which specific log files are being updated when.

I meant to add to this earlier. You asked what happened to the requirement to run the SQL script between 1.6 and 1.7. In 1.7, the code that created the SQL script is now integrated into the XNAT start-up process. Instead of parsing the data-type schemas in folders then writing out an SQL script that has to be run manually, 1.7 finds all XSDs available on the classpath, parses them there, and generates the SQL required to create or update the database schema on the fly. Basically, on an XNAT 1.7 installation, there’s no need to do anything before starting Tomcat other than creating the XNAT home folder, configuring Tomcat to know where that’s at, creating an empty database, and setting up your xnat-conf.properties file in XNAT’s config folder so that XNAT can access the database. Everything else is handled on application start-up.

From: "xnat_di...@googlegroups.com" <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibrahim A <ibr...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 2:52 PM
To: "xnat_di...@googlegroups.com" <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [XNAT Discussion] xnat 1.7 installation problem

Hi Rick,

Ibrahim A

Dec 12, 2016, 1:10:56 PM12/12/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for your response. In tomcat7 I have this log:
          Dec 12, 2016 6:59:54 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
           INFO: Deploying web application archive /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/xnat.war
           Dec 12, 2016 7:00:00 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig execute
           INFO: At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs                  during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time.
            Dec 12, 2016 7:00:01 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
            SEVERE: One or more listeners failed to start. Full details will be found in the appropriate container log file
            Dec 12, 2016 7:00:01 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
            SEVERE: Context [/xnat] startup failed due to previous errors
            Dec 12, 2016 7:00:01 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
            INFO: Deployment of web application archive /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/xnat.war has finished in 7,185 ms

In xnat there is only one file changed called spring.log, here is the output of this file:
2016-12-12 19:00:01,271 [localhost-startStop-1] ERROR org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader - Context initialization failed
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.keySet()Ljava/util/concurrent/ConcurrentHashMap$KeySetView;
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.getInitParameterNames(ApplicationContext.java:368)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContextFacade.getInitParameterNames(ApplicationContextFacade.java:367)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext$NoPluggabilityServletContext.getInitParameterNames(StandardContext.java:6994)
at org.springframework.web.context.support.WebApplicationContextUtils.registerEnvironmentBeans(WebApplicationContextUtils.java:229)
at org.springframework.web.context.support.AbstractRefreshableWebApplicationContext.postProcessBeanFactory(AbstractRefreshableWebApplicationContext.java:165)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:517)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.configureAndRefreshWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:444)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:326)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:107)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:5066)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5584)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:147)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:899)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:875)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:652)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:1091)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployWar.run(HostConfig.java:1980)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
2016-12-12 19:00:01,298 [localhost-startStop-1] WARN  org.springframework.web.context.support.AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext - Exception thrown from LifecycleProcessor on context close
java.lang.IllegalStateException: LifecycleProcessor not initialized - call 'refresh' before invoking lifecycle methods via the context: Root WebApplicationContext: startup date [Mon Dec 12 19:00:01 CET 2016]; root of context hierarchy
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getLifecycleProcessor(AbstractApplicationContext.java:415)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.doClose(AbstractApplicationContext.java:975)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.close(AbstractApplicationContext.java:934)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.closeWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:581)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextDestroyed(ContextLoaderListener.java:116)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStop(StandardContext.java:5113)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stopInternal(StandardContext.java:5779)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.stop(LifecycleBase.java:224)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:159)

From: "xnat_discussion@googlegroups.com" <xnat_discussion@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibrahim A <ibr...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Moore, Charlie

Dec 12, 2016, 1:19:09 PM12/12/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

Some googling took me here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38583495/getting-error-while-running-webservices-on-tomcat7-server-ubuntu-16-04-lts.

If this is the same error (and it sure looks like it is), you might have to use Ubuntu 14.04 instead of 16.04 or use Java 8 instead of Java 7 (although we haven’t really tested Java 8 with XNAT much…).

Thanks,

Charlie

Many thanks for your response. In tomcat7 I have this log:

Ibrahim A

Dec 12, 2016, 3:05:33 PM12/12/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Charlie for your input,

I double checked the java and tomcat, I have the same versions recommended by the installation guide i.e. java oracle 7 and tomcat 7. My system is Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. I installed java 8, changed  JAVA_HOME but still getting the same error. Do I really need to install Ubuntu 14???

regards,
Ibraheem

Herrick, Rick

Dec 12, 2016, 4:10:37 PM12/12/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

This issue is caused when compiling 1.7-compatible code (which XNAT is) with a Java 1.8 compiler without providing the Java 1.7 run-time library. There are a few changes in the core Java libraries between 1.7 and 1.8. If the code references something that changed between those versions, you end up with errors like the one you’re seeing. The problem is that this doesn’t appear to be in the XNAT code but in the Tomcat code, since you’ll notice that the line where the error occurs is in the Catalina code base:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.keySet()Ljava/util/concurrent/ConcurrentHashMap$KeySetView;

            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.getInitParameterNames(ApplicationContext.java:368)

I think what you need to do is use Java 8, but I’m guessing you changed *your* JAVA_HOME. What you actually need to change is the JAVA_HOME for your Tomcat installation. Check the file /etc/default/tomcat7 (on Fedora/RH dists like CentOS and, well, Fedora, this is in /etc/tomcat7/tomcat7.conf, I think). There’s a line there that will probably be like this:

#JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/openjdk-6-jdk

Change this so that it’s like this:

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64

Restart Tomcat and your NoSuchMethodError should go away.

From: "xnat_di...@googlegroups.com" <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibrahim A <ibr...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, December 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM
To: "xnat_di...@googlegroups.com" <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com>

Thanks Charlie for your input,

Ibrahim A

Dec 12, 2016, 6:19:51 PM12/12/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Rick, I did as you suggested and it works now :)

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Herrick, Rick <jrhe...@wustl.edu> wrote:

[...]

Voice: (314) 273-1645

Web: http://www.xnat.org

Twitter: @NrgXnat

From: "xnat_discussion@googlegroups.com" <xnat_discussion@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibrahim A <ibr...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, December 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Ibrahim A

Dec 13, 2016, 7:18:39 AM12/13/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
I tried login using admin/admin but I keep getting:
Chrome:This webpage has a redirect loop, ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
Firefox: the page isn’t redirecting properly
I removed the cookies but still get the same error. I am attaching the log files that changed after I started the tomcat server.

access.log
axis.log
catalina.out
configuration.log
jms.log
prearchive.log
security.log
sql.log
tasks.log

Herrick, Rick

Dec 13, 2016, 12:26:35 PM12/13/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

Try downloading XNAT 1.7.1 (http://xnat.org/download) and see if that fixes the problem. There are a couple possible causes for this issue. One is a strange timing issue with loading graphics that basically hijacks and replaces your authenticated session with an anonymous session. 1.7.1 fixes that issue.

The other is caused by the configuration of the front-end proxy server. Basically the request URL doesn’t match what XNAT thinks should be set. Technically, the appropriate way to fix this is to fix the header rewrites configured in the front-end proxy, but practically speaking it was best for XNAT to figure out that that was happening and expand its security checks to take that configuration into account. In a lot of cases (e.g. the Amazon elastic load balancer), the person administering XNAT may not even be able to change the front-end proxy configuration. So this is also a fix in 1.7.1.

Grab that and let me know if that solves your issue.

From: "xnat_di...@googlegroups.com" <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibrahim A <ibr...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 6:18 AM
To: "xnat_di...@googlegroups.com" <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com>

I tried login using admin/admin but I keep getting:

Ibrahim A

From: "xnat_discussion@googlegroups.com" <xnat_discussion@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibrahim A <ibr...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 6:18 AM

Herrick, Rick

Dec 13, 2016, 12:40:14 PM12/13/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

Do you have a front-end proxy? If so, what are you using? Can you send the configuration proxying to your Tomcat?

From: "xnat_di...@googlegroups.com" <xnat_di...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibrahim A <ibr...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 6:18 AM

Ibrahim A

From: "xnat_discussion@googlegroups.com" <xnat_discussion@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ibrahim A <ibr...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 6:18 AM

Ibrahim A

Dec 13, 2016, 2:24:37 PM12/13/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
after redownloading and reinstalling again, I still get the same error.

Ibrahim A

Dec 13, 2016, 2:31:00 PM12/13/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
It looks like there is an infinite loop somewhere.  The bellow line is keep repeating in the security.log:
2016-12-13 20:19:09,870 [http-bio-80-exec-10] WARN  org.nrg.xnat.security.XnatInitCheckFilter - Admin user admin has logged into the uninitialized server and is being redirected to http://localhost/xnat/setup

Ibrahim A

Dec 14, 2016, 6:38:38 AM12/14/16
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for all the support, I solved the problem by just replacing the /var/lib/tomcat7/weapps/xnat folder with an old one I think it is 1.7.0.
I think there is a bug in the new downloaded version but I am not sure where or what.

Mohammad Mahdavi Doust

Dec 20, 2016, 10:34:22 AM12/20/16
to xnat_discussion
Dear Mr. Herrick,

We have experienced a similar problem of being trapped in an infinite redirect loop (/xnat/setup) when trying to login with admin and admin for the first time.
We are not using any front-end proxy but for your information a fresh installation of the 1.7.1 version has been deployed on an Oracle VM Virtualbox in our case. Furthermore we have used NAT to send traffic from port 80 of the host machine to port 8080 of guest machine to which tomcat is listening.

To your knowledge, has this problem been reported as a bug or is there possible fix at this moment?

Best regards,
M. Mahdavi
University of Tehran

James Hawkins

Jan 18, 2017, 2:07:53 PM1/18/17
to xnat_discussion
I've had the same issue, on an fresh install of XNAT 1.7.2. After signing in as admin for the first time, we're entering a redirect loop. I had to replace the exploded 1.7.2 webapp with 1.7.0, restart tomcat and do setup, and then upgrade back to 1.7.2.

Here was the error in the catalina logs, when 1.7.2 was having issues:

INFO: Deploying web application directory /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/xnat
Jan 18, 2017 6:17:45 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig execute
INFO: At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time.
Jan 18, 2017 6:18:12 PM org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager startInternal
SEVERE: Exception loading sessions from persistent storage
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.nrg.xft.ItemWrapper.getItem(ItemWrapper.java:212)
at org.nrg.xdat.base.BaseElement.readExternal(BaseElement.java:454)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readExternalData(ObjectInputStream.java:1837)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1796)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1350)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:1990)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1915)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1798)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1350)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:1990)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1915)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1798)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1350)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:370)
at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.readObject(StandardSession.java:1609)
at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.readObjectData(StandardSession.java:1075)
at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.doLoad(StandardManager.java:259)
at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.load(StandardManager.java:176)
at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.startInternal(StandardManager.java:465)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:147)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5624)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:147)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:899)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:875)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:652)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1260)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:2002)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Right now, after downgrading and then upgrading back, the site seems functional, but there is this error in the catalina logs on start-up:

SEVERE: Error waiting for multi-thread deployment of directories to complete
java.lang.InterruptedException
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.awaitDone(FutureTask.java:400)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:1163)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:497)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1757)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:333)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1370)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1542)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1552)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1520)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Thanks,
James

Herrick, Rick

Jan 18, 2017, 3:33:40 PM1/18/17
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

Try editing the context.xml file for your Tomcat installation. That’s probably in /usr/local/tomcat/conf/context.xml.

There’s a line in there that should look something like this:

<!--

<Manager pathname="" />

-->

The <!-- and --> delimiters comment that out. Remove those delimiters and restart Tomcat.

The error loading sessions is pretty typical, but the NPE when that happens is not. I can add a check for that there, but that won’t help you with running the current code base. But when you add that manager element, Tomcat will no longer try to load sessions on start-up, so hopefully that will get you around the error.

--

Rick Herrick

Sr. Programmer/Analyst

Neuroinformatics Research Group

Sarah K

Feb 7, 2017, 8:23:41 AM2/7/17
to xnat_discussion
Hi, I'm seeing the same "page isn't redirecting properly" issue on a new install of 1.7.2. I can see the login page and successfully (according to the logs) log in as admin, but when it tries to go to the setup page I get the redirect error.

When this happens I'm seeing the following error repeated in my xnat.home/logs/turbine.log:

2017-02-06 22:08:58,826 [http-bio-8080-exec-4] ERROR org.nrg.xnat.turbine.utils.ArcSpecManager -
org.nrg.framework.exceptions.NrgServiceRuntimeException: Error [Unknown]: Error [Unknown]: Couldn't create the base prearchive folder in /data/xnat/prearchive
    at org.nrg.xnat.helpers.prearchive.PrearcDatabase.getPrearchiveFolderTimestamps(PrearcDatabase.java:848)
    at org.nrg.xnat.helpers.prearchive.PrearcDatabase.pruneDatabase(PrearcDatabase.java:836)
    at org.nrg.xnat.helpers.prearchive.PrearcDatabase.initDatabase(PrearcDatabase.java:159)
    at org.nrg.xnat.helpers.prearchive.PrearcDatabase.initDatabase(PrearcDatabase.java:100)
    at org.nrg.xnat.turbine.utils.ArcSpecManager.GetInstance(ArcSpecManager.java:86)
    at org.nrg.xnat.turbine.utils.ArcSpecManager.GetInstance(ArcSpecManager.java:55)
    at org.nrg.xnat.security.XnatExpiredPasswordFilter.doFilter(XnatExpiredPasswordFilter.java:70)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:330)
    at org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:91)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:330)
    at org.springframework.security.web.access.channel.ChannelProcessingFilter.doFilter(ChannelProcessingFilter.java:152)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:330)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilterInternal(FilterChainProxy.java:213)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:176)
    at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:346)
    at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:262)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:241)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:218)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:122)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:505)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:169)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:103)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:958)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:116)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:452)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1087)
    at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:637)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:318)

    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I have my xnat.home variable set in a setenv.sh file (I'm using Mac OS X 10.11.6), set to /Users/[username]/xnat/home. I've also created a prearchive folder already, stored in /Users/[username]/xnat.

When I try the context.xml fix, all pages (including the Tomcat manager page) show up blank in Firefox.

I'd appreciate anything you can come up with!
Thanks so much,
Sarah