Font problems

an...@i-motive.nl

Sep 21, 2014, 9:45:37 AM9/21/14
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We have a significant problem with fonts on our XMPie uProduce server.

Following setup:
uProduce version 6.0.1
Indesign Server CS6
(Staging server, we have our old server also still running with uProduce version 5.2 and Indesign Server CS5)
No fonts installed directly on the server, all via the uProduce backend on a Campaign level, all projects described below are in seperate campaigns.

In the past we had some issue's with OTF and TTF fonts where we could simply solve it by switching to the other version. However we are encountering a new one that's seemingly unfixable at this moment.

The font in question is Bosch Sans Regular and Bosch Sans Cond Regular (bold etc is fine). We have been using this font for a while in a couple of monthly returning projects, without problems. This week we have been working on new documents with this font, these where being distored and thus we switched to the other file format.

This worked for just this file, however the old monthly returning project now is broken. This is fixable by switching to the other font file format.
Also any other new document with these fonts is distorted. It isn't 100% predicatable yet, there is a seemingly random element involved.

To make mathers worse, if we upload exactly the same document to our old server it works fine. Also on the desktop running the Indesign Plugin the font is fine.
Schermafbeelding 2014-09-21 om 15.43.10.png
Schermafbeelding 2014-09-21 om 15.42.57.png
Schermafbeelding 2014-09-21 om 15.42.17.png
Schermafbeelding 2014-09-21 om 15.42.04.png

rhop...@comcast.net

Sep 22, 2014, 12:17:45 AM9/22/14
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andre,

To me it just looks like you have a bad font or a font not installed. It could be that you have both font_name.otf and font_name.ttf and the OS is getting confused although this isn't 1993 and I think Windows is better than that. I wonder if uploading the same fonts to the campaign over and over again has caused some server confusion?I have only ever used a font through a campaign once or twice.

My suggestion is to use the OpenType fonts if you are sure they are original files and not just "converted" by some 3rd party software. I'd clear out the same fonts from the server OS/Campaign(s) too, just to keep things tidy. Obviously, update the job files to use the font you decide on.

Then I would create a "fonts" folder on your XMPie server in the same folder as the InDesign Server .exe. That way the InDesign Server will grab those fonts first, instead of what is installed in the server OS. I think it is a handy way to sort out job fonts from system/server fonts too.

I hope that helps.

cheers,
Bob

Sep 22, 2014, 4:15:12 AM9/22/14
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bob,

Thats the thing, there are not fonts installed on the server. All the fonts are deployed on per campaign in the Fonts tab.
We have 1 font that is used in over 300 campaigns and plenty of other fonts that are used in a multitude of campaigns without any problems.

It's a very few number of fonts that have this problem. It's just so odd that this font always worked fine up untill the point we uploaded a new campaign with this font and it somehow corrupted something on the server.

We will try to install the fonts directly on the server in the Indesign folder, will report back if this changed anything.

Kind regards,

an...@i-motive.nl

Sep 22, 2014, 8:20:17 AM9/22/14
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Sadly installing the OTF fonts directly on the server (Fonts folder in Indesign Server folder) did not fix it.

We know the font is fine, we use it on several other computers without any problem, we even use it on another XMPie server without problems.

It's just the OTF version of 2 fonts at this moment (Cond Regular and Regular), these used to work fine on this very same machine. Now they are not working correctly, only way of working around the problem is switching to the TT version of those same fonts.

As said, this is just a temp workaround as they used to work and we prefer the OTF version due to our entire workflow.

Bob Hopfner

Sep 22, 2014, 8:44:48 AM9/22/14
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
That's really strange, although I have to say last week was strange for me too. Weird image issues more related to InDesign than XMPie, still frustrating when you need to get the work done. Maybe rebuilding the document? Seems like a lot of work for little gain. Maybe it's time for an upgrade!

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4.

André Kemmeren | i-motive marketingsupport

Sep 22, 2014, 8:59:35 AM9/22/14
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com

Thats the thing, it’s not just 1 document.

Doesn’t matter in what document I use the font it happens, also for old documents that used to work.

Upgrade would be nice but I don’t think the management does agree with me sadly, it’s still very expensive.

couch

Sep 22, 2014, 6:49:08 PM9/22/14
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Between InDesign CS5 and CS7 (or CC if you prefer) Adobe made several changes to the way they handle fonts. This led to several "inconsistencies" in different versions of XMPie software. I recommend:

1) that you upgrade to the latest versions of XMPie - the font issues are much less of an issue in v6.6.4 and v7 than they were in earlier versions.

2) if you continue to have font issue, work with XMPie support - they have several tricks they can use to figure out what is actually going on and get a solution for you.