Permanently disable Adobe InDesign autorecovery?

Rook

Apr 14, 2016, 6:20:03 PM4/14/16
to XMPie Interest Group

Simply put, anybody know how to do this? There does not appear to be an option to disable it anymore in InDesign (CC 2015.3).

Why do I need to do this? Well, read on, intrepid XMPie Interest Group subscriber! (I hope the images below come through OK, otherwise this post may be a little confusing.)

I'll often have multiple uCreate docs open in InDesign, working back & forth. Frequently I will make a change to the data structure while these docs are open, or I'll move files around, or I'll lose network connectivity, or any of a number of things happen that affect the link between my InDesign document and my data source. As soon as I switch windows, or as soon as I switch documents, InDesign will crash because the uCreate plugin will immediately pop up with the "Data Source Not Available" dialog box, as shown below:

(Yes I know it's not available. Fine. Just Disconnect for now.)

Apparently InDesign doesn't like it when that happens. When dynamic printing or exporting packages, you may have noticed that the current InDesign document disappears, and focus briefly switches to the next document that you have open. If that other document has lost its connection to the data source, I get an insta-crash. Like the next image:

(Rats. I knew I should have saved...)

After I'm done swearing at the computer and re-launch InDesign, the autorecovery cycle begins, which causes this same thing to happen again in a more automated fashion 2 more times (launch, same documents load from autorecovery, switching panels causes another crash, rinse & repeat. And If I had 4 or 5 documents open at once... well, you get the idea: Autorecovery reopens everything, and as soon as you save or close or switch documents, you crash all over again.

To its credit, on the second or third re-launch, InDesign wises up and asks if I'd like to continue to autorecover or delete the autorecovery data.

(No, delete recovery data... thankyouverymuch...)

It happens enough that I've made a shortcut to where my InDesign recovery files are kept (waaaay down in the user directory C:\Users\**********\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 10.0\en_US\Caches ) so I can delete the stupid autorecovery files when I do crash.

So - does anybody know how to configure InDesign to never attempt to autorecover documents?

George Marsh

Apr 14, 2016, 11:10:50 PM4/14/16
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Adobe suggest emptying the autorecovery folder before opening InDesign:

Rook

Apr 15, 2016, 8:41:05 AM4/15/16
to XMPie Interest Group
Thanks! Yep, I've got that directory bookmarked/desktop shortcut made. Nothing's typically in there after a crash, but InDesign still wants to autorecover documents.

Nicholas Ternes

Jun 19, 2019, 5:34:09 PM6/19/19
to XMPie Interest Group
Files in the directory may be set to hidden.