Multiple copies and numbering

colornumber9

Feb 15, 2013, 9:44:43 PM2/15/13
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I have something that seems like it should have a simple solution.

We are printing variable hangtags from a database. We will have to print varying quantities of each depending on the version. I've figured out it's super easy to do this using the 'Copies' feature. I'd also like to be able to print a unique identifier on each piece that is sequential. This could be as simple as a number going from 1 to x. So for a db with 10 records with each record needing 10 copies I should have 100 pages and each should have a unique number in order on it.

Can this be done in InDesign? Or does it need to be in uPlan? I haven't done much experimentation with this yet, but I need to have a solution soon and figured it couldn't hurt to ask the experts.

Any ideas would be great - thanks!

Bob Hopfner

Feb 16, 2013, 12:31:56 AM2/16/13
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
My 2 cents is that you can't do "copies" because you want 100 unique id numbers. I was going to suggest you try using page numbers in InDesign to get your unique numbers across 10 records, but that would get you 10 copies of duplicate numbers. I am not sure that uPlan can do that either as copies comes after the uPlan has executed.

My suggestion might be easier to just break out your DB to 100 records with an ADOR for your unique ID.

cheers,
Bob

colornumber9

Feb 16, 2013, 1:40:51 PM2/16/13
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bob. I do think you're right, that it might be easiest initially to create the additional records in the DB and create the unique ID as an ADOR. I have a few reservation about doing this, though. One, it requires either us or our client to manipulate the data from how it's currently structured, which means extra work and more importantly greater risk of errors. Two, this will be a repeat job and it'd be great to set something up so that we can just plug in a DB and go. Wishful thinking, I know, but isn't that what everyone's trying to accomplish?

I've been trying to figure out a way to make uPlan output/generate the additional records and unique ID, but unfortunately I'm not a wizard in any of the XMPie apps yet. Seems to me like that would be the way to do it though.

I do appreciate your input - thanks. It may have to come down to working with the DB itself, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Igor

Feb 18, 2013, 10:28:04 AM2/18/13
to xmpie...@googlegroups.com
uPlan will not do any good with Copies , the only thing that you can do is create filter (that is basically a query ) or use uProduce Query , that duplicate each record x times .
if your DB is an SQL Something like
WITH ShowCounter AS (SELECT 1 AS ShowCount
            UNION ALL
            SELECT ShowCount + 1
            FROM ShowCounter
            WHERE (ShowCount + 1 <= 100)
            )
SELECT *
FROM ShowCounter
INNER JOIN Customers ON ShowCounter.ShowCount <= Customers.NumberOfCopies
Order by Customers.ID ,ShowCounter.ShowCount

that query  will create duplicate number of records for each recipient as NumberOfCopies

duplicating records can be a solution but there is a an impact on production time , there is a big difference between producing copy and actual record production.
Now I need to double check but we have what is called PGE , basically it is a smart EPS that can get all or a limited number of ADOR objects and in addition it get page number and total number of pages, the problem that i do not remember if than it comes to copy it may reset page numbering and i need to check it.

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:05:36 PM UTC-5, XMPIEAutomation wrote:

Hi,

Been writing systems for producing xmpie data for many years now.  I have done this for server and desktop based
production.  I tend to keep the customer data as is and if required produce a processed file with any additional
requirement to make the production end easier.  Can write a simple output app to run over the data to produce this
in foxpro or vb/ c#

Thanks