Size of cached entries

Vasilis Lourdas

Dec 27, 2014, 5:22:01 PM12/27/14
to xca...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I recently switched vps from a 1GB 32-bit Linux to a 2GB 64-bit Linux (both running Gentoo) for my sites. For the old vps, I had set the Xcache size to 36M (the vps hosts 3 sites) and it worked fine so far. Now, at the new vps, I set the cache size to 48M. After checking out the sites if they work fine, I noticed that at the new vps, the cache size was exhausted, so I had to increase it (currently at 64M). At this point, memory for Xcache is not an issue. But I'm a little bit puzzled seeing the same object (the same include file from a Drupal installation) at the old vps having size 572.25 K and at the new vps 871.28 K (both taken from the Xcache statistics pages). This is an increase of 52%! Both vps run the same Apache, PHP and Xcache versions, with the exact same modules.

Could this size difference be justified by the different archs (32 and 64-bit)? Or could this be something else that I should look into?

Regards.

Xuefer

Dec 28, 2014, 12:51:47 AM12/28/14
to xca...@googlegroups.com
I've never calculated to opcode size but it's absolutely normal to have an increase (different) in size of opcode upgrading from 32bit to 16bit
--

---

Vasilis Lourdas

Dec 28, 2014, 2:42:41 AM12/28/14
to xca...@googlegroups.com
OMG! Did I install a 16-bit OS without knowing? :) :)

Seriously, it's a big increase in opcode size. Is it too much to take a look into it?

Regards.

Xuefer

Dec 29, 2014, 11:29:18 PM12/29/14
to xca...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, December 28, 2014, Vasilis Lourdas <v.lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
OMG! Did I install a 16-bit OS without knowing? :) :)

i meant 64bit :P

Seriously, it's a big increase in opcode size. Is it too much to take a look into it?
the code is exactly the same except compiler/arch is different. there isn't much (if some) ifdef condition compile switch between 64/32 in XCache code
changing from 32bit to 64bit int's is 100% bigger, same applies to the alignment
if you're in doubt you can compare *.php which contain mostly (e.g. >98%) html code with none or a little php code in 64bit, it should be almost the same size as 32bit. the string is 8 bit characters in both 32/64bit arch, yet still bigger because there're other structs needed to be cached, so you need a big html code to take up the percentage.