Vectors in xPand

Mohammad-Hossein Abbassi

Dec 1, 2017, 12:53:16 PM12/1/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra

Hi guys;

I'm wonder if it is anyway to define a general vector as matter field in xPand. I find that the only vector field that is defined there, is "u" with (1,0,0,0) components. But I want to perform xPand calculation on a general Vector field. Is there any way to do it in xPand?

Thanks
Mohammad

Obinna Umeh

Dec 1, 2017, 5:38:04 PM12/1/17
to Mohammad-Hossein Abbassi, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Mohammad,

Yes, it is possible to define a general vector in xPand.

 If what you want is a vector that includes a peculiar velocity when perturbed in say conformal Newtonain gauge, this is how you do it.

Use a different notation for the vector in the slot  for vector in DefMatterFields  say DefMatterFields[um, dum, h].

When you perturb um it will include its perturbation dum decomposed on the background hypersurface with the induced metric h

I attached a minimal example.

If you want a totally different kind of vector, then you have to use DefProjectedTensor to define the vector  and assign whatever rules you may want to it.

Cheers,

Obinna

MatterVector.nb

Mohammad-Hossein Abbassi