Problem with installation

Ali rezaie

Oct 28, 2017, 4:09:12 AM10/28/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi
could you please help me with this part:
Place the xAct tree in
      ~/.WolframEngine/Applications

   Run the following commands:

      cd ~/.WolframEngine/Applications/xAct/xPerm/mathlink/

      sudo apt-get install uuid-dev

      mcc xperm.tm -luuid -O3 -o xperm.linux.32-bit
I can not understand what shoul I do at all?

Thomas Bäckdahl

Oct 28, 2017, 4:31:18 AM10/28/17
to xa...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Are you trying to install xAct on a Raspberry pi computer or some other system?
For most windows, linux or mac machines you do not have to run any of these commands. All you need is to extract the files form the zip or tgz file to an appropriate folder. Which folder to choose is described in the installation instructions. There are several possible choices that should work. If it doesn't work, type $Path in Mathematica and place the files in one of the folders shown. This is all you need to do for the installation on most systems.

However, if you install on a Paspberry pi computer you need to compile xperm first. To do that, place all the files from the tgz file in ~/.WolframEngine/Applications or some other folder displayed in $Path.
Then you have to start a command prompt and type in
cd ~/.WolframEngine/Applications/xAct/xPerm/mathlink/
to place you in the correct sub-folder. (This needs to be changed if you placed your files somewhere else.)
Then type in
sudo apt-get install uuid-dev
to download and install an extra package that is needed for the compilation. (The system will ask for your root password)
When this is done, you type in

mcc xperm.tm -luuid -O3 -o xperm.linux.32-bit
This should then compile xperm.

If all goes well your installation is then finished, and you can for instance open an example file and evaluate it.

Regards
Thomas

Ali rezaie

Oct 28, 2017, 4:13:12 PM10/28/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi
Many thanks, Dear Thomas
Your answer helped me to solve the problem.
The Best
Ali