Mathematica 11.1

Norbert Van den Bergh

Mar 20, 2017, 9:40:06 AM3/20/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi.

I just upgraded to Mathematica 11.1 for Linux and now encounter the error message "TensorRank: Nonrectangular array encountered" (where there was none before), after executing the following innocent command lines:

Clear["Global`*"]
Block[{Print},
  << xAct`xTras`
   << xAct`TexAct`
   << xAct`TraceFree`
  ];
$TexPrintPageWidth = latextextwidth;
$PrePrint = ScreenDollarIndices;
DefManifold[M, 4, {a, b, c, d, e, f, m, n, r, s}]
DefMetric[-1, g[-a, -b], CD, CurvatureRelations -> True]

So far the remainder of the notebook seems to execute without any problems. Anyone having the same issue or any suggestions?

Thanks, Norbert

Jose

Mar 20, 2017, 9:57:59 AM3/20/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Norbert,

Thanks for reporting this.

I can confirm this error message in version 11.1. Even though it is only a warning (that is, it does not affect the results), it should not be there. There are several options:

  - Leave it there, ignoring it.

  - Quiet it with Off[TensorRank::rect] before evaluating the DefMetric command.

  - The proper way to eliminate it is to go to xAct/xCore/xCore.m and change the command TensorRank to ArrayDepth in line 303.

Cheers,
Jose.

Adam Solomon

May 15, 2017, 3:12:59 PM5/15/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
I'm having the same problem with Mathematica 11.1.1 on OS X. It's only when I load xTras that this seems to occur.

Cheers,
Adam

Minkyu Park

Aug 15, 2017, 9:45:29 AM8/15/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

I'm running Mathematica 11.1.1 on macOS Sierra.
I found this issue affect the functionality of MakeTraceless command of xTras.
If I change xCore.m following Jose's prescription, I don't get any error message and MakeTraceless does work well.

Best,
Minkyu

2017년 5월 16일 화요일 오전 4시 12분 59초 UTC+9, Adam Solomon 님의 말:

BillN

Jan 12, 2018, 12:17:08 PM1/12/18
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
I changed xCore.m following Jose's prescription as well, and the error message stopped (got the same message three times till MMA said it stopped the computation).
I'm on a PC running Windows 10 and MMA 11.2, using the FlatMetric -> True option when defining the metric.