Solving differential equations with xCoba expressions

Lukas Wutschitz

Apr 7, 2017, 12:40:24 PM4/7/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
I have to solve a differential equation in a curvilinear frame and xCoba worked great to get the equation into the correct form. But now when I'm trying to solve it I'm a bit stuck. I'm used to use DSolve in this case and it has worked great for simple equations like Laplace's equation:

DSolve[{
  D[f[x, y], {x, 2}] + D[f[x, y], {y, 2}] == 0,(* Laplace equation *)

    f[0, y] == y,(* Boundary conditions *)
  f[1, y] == y,
  f[x, 0] == 0,
  f[x, 1] == 1
  }, f, {x, y}](* Solve for f[x,y] *)

However, when I use DSolve for expression I obtained from xAct manipulations it doesn't seem to recognise the differential operators. I've been looking for a while now for solutions but nothing seems to work.

magma

Apr 8, 2017, 5:00:35 PM4/8/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Can you post the explicit  xAct expression that you wish to solve?
Alessandro

Lukas Wutschitz

Apr 10, 2017, 9:40:59 AM4/10/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I first tried to solve a reduced problem:

I define the environment
DefManifold[M, 2, IndexRange[a, f]]
DefChart[B, M, {1, 2}, {x[], y[]}]
DefParameter[t]
DefTensor[u[], {M, t}]

And I would like to solve a simple equation like this
ParamD[t][u[]] == 1
PD

The output generated by xAct makes me think I'm on the right track. Or at least, I would write the PDE exactly like this with pen and paper. But obviously DSolve doesn't know what to do with it. Because t and other symbols are defined to be xAct objects.

DSolve[{

ParamD[t][u[]] == 1,
  PD

},