Printing/Showing elements of tensors

Tucker Manton

Mar 24, 2018, 5:13:26 PM3/24/18
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi All,

I am working in a particular chart and am working with various curvature tensors. MetricCompute gathers all the basic curvature tensors in their covariant form, and it's straightforward to print/show the elements of each covariant quantity. I would like to be able to compute and print out the contravariant form of the curvature tensors, such as $R^{\mu\nu}$, but am struggling to come up with the correct commands. Additionally, I would like to define certain combinations of the curvature tensors in such a way that I can print/show it's elements. Attached is an example of an attempt to show the contravariant Ricci tensor and an attempt to show elements of a tensor defined as $X_{\mu\nu}=R_{\mu\alpha}R^{\alpha}_{\nu},$ over a spatially flat isotropic FRW metric.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Tucker
PrintingElementsOfATensor.nb

Cyril Pitrou

Mar 24, 2018, 5:58:41 PM3/24/18
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra, tucker...@gmail.com
Dear Tucker,

I think you need to use "ChangeComponents".

See example attached where I tried to solve your problem/

Regards,
Cyril

PrintingElementsOfATensor.nb

Tucker Manton

Mar 24, 2018, 6:18:19 PM3/24/18
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Cyril,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, your attached notebook does exactly what I need.

Best regards,

Tucker