installing xAct on mathematica version10.1

banafshe....@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 7:00:27 AM12/14/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
hello
I am a beginner in using mathematica and I am trying to install the package for windows.
the instructions on the web page did not help me since I can not find  the "installation ad-ons" in the help menu.
I would be really grateful if some one could give me a step by step instruction for installing this package.

Abhishek Pal

Dec 16, 2016, 2:46:05 PM12/16/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
I too am a beginner in xAct and tried to install it in Mathematica 10. There is an "ad-ons and packages" at the end of the Wolfram Documentation pane from the help menu. It shows the package xAct but whenever I click it my linux system freezes. Also after I loaded the package in mathematica, the output is not symbolic. Example:

In: DefTensor[Ta[b, c], M]  PD[a, -b] Ta[b, c]

Out:  PD[a, -b] Ta[b, c]

Thomas Bäckdahl

Dec 17, 2016, 2:26:37 AM12/17/16
to xa...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

To install xAct you can follow the instructions in
http://xact.es/download/install

However, I would recommend skipping the step:
"To load the xAct documentation into the Mathematica Help hierarchy you must execute the `Rebuild Help Index' action on the Help Menu (versions 5.* of Mathematica), or go to `Installed Add-Ons' in the Documentation Center (from version 6.0)."
Perhaps, these instructions should be rewritten...

Instead you can manually look up the documentation files in the folder xAct\Documentation\English\ .
Unfortunately, the documentation is not very well integrated into the help system. This is partly because it takes too long to write full pages for each command. You can still find quick info for each command with ?commandname.

Regards
Thomas

Reza Naderi

Mar 27, 2017, 9:26:05 PM3/27/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi
You can just copy your xAct folder into "C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\11.1\AddOns\Applications" and to make sure that it works for example just type                 " << xAct`xTensor`  " into your notebook file then if it works and shows info that means installation is successful
hope that works for you

pH y

Mar 27, 2019, 8:44:14 AM3/27/19
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra

dear,

I also have the same problem. I have tried your method, but it doesn't work.
so, is there any other trick?

Reza Naderi於 2017年3月28日星期二 UTC+8上午9時26分05秒寫道: