Rescale Metric

Nathan Moynihan

Jan 24, 2016, 5:13:24 AM1/24/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Is it possible to rescale the metric by some particular factor, in such a way as I could then read off the associated objects dependant on the metric? (Riemann tensor, Christoffel symbol etc etc).

Thanks,
Nathan

Alex Vañó Viñuales

Jan 24, 2016, 7:03:40 AM1/24/16
to Nathan Moynihan, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Something like the following?

DefMetric[-1,metric2[-i,-j],cd2,ConformalTo->{metric1[-i,-j],factor[]}] ,
defined with respect to an existing metric metric1[-i,-j] and a previously defined conformal factor factor[].

You can then use the ConformalRules[metric1,metric2] to obtain the relation of the two. However, I do not know very well how that carries over to the associated objects.

Cheers,

Alex

Nathan Moynihan

Jan 24, 2016, 10:55:08 AM1/24/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra

Thanks, i'll give that a try :)

Cyril Pitrou

Jan 24, 2016, 11:28:46 AM1/24/16
to Alex Vañó Viñuales, Nathan Moynihan, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

In xPand I have defined a function Conformal which carries to general expressions
what Alex mentioned.
Once you have defined a metric g[.,.] and a scale factor a[] and a new metric which is conformally related to
(say ga2[.,.]) then you can do

Conformal[g,ga2][expr]

to transform a general expression.

In the expample notebooks of xPand, one is dedicated to the use of this Conformal[][] function.

Cheers,
Cyril