Non-abelian gauge fields with xTensor?

Giulia Pagano

Jun 8, 2017, 9:33:48 AM6/8/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi all,

I would like to define a non-abelian gauge field and the related field strength (the group is SU(N)). Is there a built-in way to do that in xTensor? In particular, I would like to know if there is a way to handle gauge indices and structure constants.

Thank you,
Giulia

Leo Stein

Jun 8, 2017, 11:54:07 AM6/8/17
to Giulia Pagano, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Giulia,

Yes and no. You can create a vector bundle with DefVBundle, and a connection which is aware of that bundle with DefCovD. See Sec. 6.10 of xTensorDoc.nb for an example. This will define two sets of connection coefficients and curvatures — those for the horizontal (tangent) indices, and those for the vertical (bundle) indices.

However, there is not yet the concept of a structure group or any other structures for a bundle. If you want a metric on that bundle, you will have to define one yourself, and if you want structure constants, you will similarly have to define those yourself.

Best
Leo

Giulia Pagano

Jun 9, 2017, 5:38:04 PM6/9/17