xAct execution problems (windows, Mathematica 10.0)

nick

Oct 27, 2016, 2:14:11 PM10/27/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
I'm tring to us xAct packages but I had some problems. I'm quite new of the xAct system, in the past I used dPark and other Mathematica routines to perform tensorial calculus. It seems to me that the installation was completely successful (xAct is in my Mathematica 10.0 AddOns/Applications -
xPrint, xPand included and Riemann folders put in Invar), because Mathematica correctly loads every xAct subpackages, but when I try to
inhaugurate my .nb I immediately find symbolic and computational issues.
For example, I begin with

Needs["xAct`xTensor`"]
or
<< xAct`xTensor`

I define a tensor

DefManifold[M4, 4, Complement[IndexRange[a, z], {g, h}]]

and I obtain as expected
** DefManifold: Defining manifold M4.
** DefVBundle: Defining vbundle TangentM4.

but when I try to show the symbolic included tensors, for examples

{RiemannCD[-a, b, -c, d], RicciCD[a, -b], RicciScalarCD[],
 WeylCD[-a, -b, -c, -d], EinsteinCD[-a, -b], epsilong[-a, -b, -c, -d],
  ChristoffelCD[a, -b, -c]}

I obtain the literal output

{RiemannCD(-a,b,-c,d),RicciCD(a,-b),RicciScalarCD(),WeylCD(-a,-b,-c,-d),EinsteinCD(-a,-b),epsilong(-a,-b,-c,-d),ChristoffelCD(a,-b,-c)}

The same for every illustrative public notebook, such as PI-xAct.nb or Lagrangian-variation-xPert-VarD.nb: they do not work. I'm on Windows 8.1, if it matters. Can you help me about this issue? I cannot find something useful online. Is my Mathematica version incompatible with the uptodate xAct package I use?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers,
Nicolò

Thomas Bäckdahl

Oct 27, 2016, 4:47:29 PM10/27/16
to xa...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I have never encountered this kind of problem, but after some testing I found the same problem if I used a specific Mathematica setting. Select Edit/Preferences/Evaluation and change "Format type of new output cells" to StandardForm. With TraditionalForm one will get the kind of output you got.

Regards
Thomas

nick

Nov 4, 2016, 9:58:53 AM11/4/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Thank you very much for your suggestions. No It works
Best,

Nicolò