Bug in CTensor

Alfonso Jacinto García Parrado Gómez Lobo

Jan 13, 2016, 5:00:47 PM1/13/16
to xa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think I found a bug in a computation involving a CTensor. I attach a notebook illustrating the situation.

Alfonso.

CTensorBug.nb

Jose

Jan 13, 2016, 6:41:08 PM1/13/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Alfonso,

Note that the two CTensor objects in your tlist have different index configurations, so you cannot just add their component arrays without transposing them first. To get a CTensor object in its canonical index order use ToCCanonical. Therefore change this definition in your notebook:

tlist = ToCCanonical /@ {tensor[-a, -d] tensor[-b, -c], tensor[-a, -c] tensor[-b, -d]}

Keep the definition of expr2, because now both tensors in tlist have the same index configuration. Then

In[15]:= expr2[-a, -b, -c, -d] - expr1
Out[15]= 0

So I think there is no computation error.

The odd part, and probably what is confusing you, is that SymmetryGroupOfTensor[expr1] and SymmetryGroupOfTensor[ToCCanonical[expr1]] are returning different groups. They are isomorphic groups, but only identical under reordering of the indices. This is odd, but I think it is correct. SymmetryGroupOfTensor just looks at the head of the CTensor, as usual.

Cheers,
Jose.

Alfonso García-Parrado Gómez-Lobo

Jan 14, 2016, 12:22:45 PM1/14/16
to Jose, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi José:

thanks for the message. I missed the ToCCanonical step so there's indeed
no bug at all. Sorry for my earlier claim.

Alfonso.