dimension dependent identities

Daniel Mahler

Jan 12, 2015, 4:21:55 PM1/12/15
to xa...@googlegroups.com
There are identities that are true in only some dimensions.
For example in 2 dimensions $R_{ijkl} = R \varpsilon_{ij} \varepsilon{kl}$.
Can xAct  utilize this identity or do I need to add it?
If it has it, which function applies it?

thanks
Daniel

Leo Stein

Jan 12, 2015, 5:23:19 PM1/12/15
to Daniel Mahler, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Daniel,

This will get you part of the way there:
Since this is a special case of the Weyl decomposition, you can enact this in two dimensions by using RiemannToWeyl. However, instead of being expressed in terms of \epsilon, it will be expressed in terms of the metric, but with the correct index symmetries. For example, in two dimensions:
  In[] := RiemannCD[-a, -b, -c, -d] // RiemannToWeyl
  Out[] = -(1/2)  met[-a, -d]   met[-b, -c]  RicciScalarCD[] + 1/2  met[-a, -c]   met[-b, -d]  RicciScalarCD[]

I know this is not exatly what you wanted, but I hope this helps.
Leo

Teake Nutma

Jan 13, 2015, 2:58:28 PM1/13/15
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Daniel,

I've written a bit of functionality in the xTras package that might come in handy for you. The main function you'll be interested in is ConstructDDIs (http://xact.es/xtras/documentation/ref/ConstructDDIs.html), which constructs all possible DDIs out of a given expression. How you might use these DDIs once constructed is explained in the tutorial for the Gauss-Bonnet term, http://xact.es/xtras/documentation/tutorial/GaussBonnet.html.
By the way, did you mean three dimensions instead of two in your example? In two (spacetime) dimensions not only the Weyl tensor but also the Einstein tensor namely vanishes.
Best,

Teake