RE: [xAct: 1673] Independent tensors

jo...@xact.es

Jan 24, 2016, 1:09:47 PM1/24/16
to Gaurav Narain, xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

I think I don't understand this question. Can you send examples of tensors that are different but still you consider them "repetitions"?

Do you use ToCanonical during the process of tabulating the possibilities, to remove equivalent cases?

Have you had a look at Thomas' SymManipulator package?

Cheers,
Jose.

Jan 24, 2016, 2:13:14 PM1/24/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
HI,

Maybe the Young tableaux option in xTras is what you are looking for…

Cheers,

Mario

Thomas Bäckdahl

Jan 24, 2016, 3:43:45 PM1/24/16
to xa...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I am not sure of exactly what you want, but the following should produce a set of expressions of the kind you asked for. This takes into account the index symmetry groups, but not Young tableau symmetries. Much more powerful tools are implemented for spinors, but only in 4D spacetimes with signature + - - -.

<< xAct`SymManipulator`
$PrePrint = ScreenDollarIndices;
$DefInfoQ = False;
DefManifold[M4, 4, {a, b, c, d, e, f, h, l, m, p, q}]
DefMetric[{1, 3, 0}, g[-a, -b], CD, PrintAs -> "g", DefInfo -> False]
List @@ Expand[15*SmartSymmetrize[g[-a, -b] g[-c, -d] g[-e, -f]]]
Union@ToCanonicalSym[
  ImposeSym[#, IndexList[-a, -b, -c, -d, -e, -f],
     GenSet[Cycles[{1, 2}], Cycles[{3, 4}], Cycles[{5, 6}]]] & /@ %]
ToCanonical@ExpandSym@%

I hope this helps.

Thomas

Gaurav Narain

Jan 25, 2016, 9:17:28 AM1/25/16
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
The index configuration and symmetrisation of indices do not remove duplicate entries. Consider for example the following simple case

g[a,b] g[c,d]

now I want to construct all possible tensors using them which are symmetric in (a,b) and (c,d). when index configuration is applied to this combination it yields

{g[a,d]g[b,c], g[a,c]g[b,d], g[a,b]g[c,d] }

now when one applies symmetrisation over (a,b) and (c,d) this yields 3 tensors

1) g[a,b]g[c,d]
2) g[a,c]g[b,d]+g[b,c]g[a,d]
3) g[a,d]g[b,c]+ g[b,d]g[a,c]

clear 2 and 3 are same.

well, after posting the original message I released that this issue of repetition can be easily resolved by using the inbuilt command in Mathematica called `DeleteDuplicates’, which is working even for tensors.