Indices not displayed properly

Riccardo P

May 25, 2011, 1:24:41 PM5/25/11
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi everyone,

I just installed xAct and I am going over the examples provided in the
documentation to get familiar with the package.
However, all my outputs look different from the outputs in the
documentation, because the indices appear inside brackets (like in the
input) rather than in the upper/lower position. I am running
Mathematica 7 and I couldn't find any other post discussing this
problem. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thank you in advance,

Riccardo

JMM

May 25, 2011, 4:28:45 PM5/25/11
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Riccardo,

Have you executed the documentation from the very beginning, including
the command

<< xAct`xTensor`

that loads the system? If so, I have two questions for you:

1) Do you get error messages when you execute that loading command?
Then probably the xAct directory is not installed in the proper place.
If you do get error messages and you do not understand what they mean,
send them to me.

2) If there are no error messages in 1), do you get mathematically
correct result (but incorrectly formatted) when executing the
documentation examples or do you get the input back again? This is to
know whether your copy of xAct works at all, or whether only the
formatting part is failing for some reason.

Cheers,
Jose.

Jose

Dec 26, 2012, 3:12:22 AM12/26/12
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Yi-Zen,

This is an issue that we haven't discussed before in this forum, as
far as I remember, so it deserves posting. xTensor has not been
prepared to handle TraditionalForm yet. It is not high priority, but
xTensor should be extended in this direction at some point in the
future.

Thanks for pointing this out,
Jose.

On Dec 26, 7:06 am, Yi-Zen Chu <yizen....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found that using TraditionalForm for the format of output cells was the
> issue. It is important to use StandardForm for xAct to display indices
> properly.
>
> To the moderator: please feel free to delete this and my earlier message.
>
> Thank you,
> Yi-Zen

Robert Dickinson

Sep 16, 2017, 5:35:28 PM9/16/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi Jose,

I am having the same problem as Riccardo describes.
I'm using Mathematica 11. I get mathematically correct results:

In= g[-a,-b] g[a,b]
Out= 4

but the output format isn't working properly:

In= g[-a,b]
Out= delta(-a,b)

I know it's a very old post... if I don't hear back I'll post a new one.
Thanks
Robert

Thomas Bäckdahl

Sep 17, 2017, 3:15:52 AM9/17/17
to xa...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Your output is set to TraditionalForm instead of StandardForm.
In the menu choose, Edit, Proeferences, Evaluation and set "Format type of new output cells:" to StandardForm.

Regards
Thomas

Robert Dickinson

Sep 17, 2017, 6:12:35 PM9/17/17