installation difficulties (Mathematica 11.0, Windows 10)

Grigalius Taujanskas

Feb 17, 2017, 7:06:46 PM2/17/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

I am trying to install xAct on Windows 10, Mathematica 11.0 I have extracted the xAct folder and placed it in Mathematica/AddOns/Applications (and even checked that this is indeed in Mathematica's $Path). However, I am unable to load the packages in Mathematica using eg <<xAct/xTensor.m or <<xAct'xTensor'. The error message I get is get: cannot open xAct/xTensor.m.

When I click on the "Add-Ons and Packages" tab in the Mathematica documentation panel, it does find the xAct packages as being added, but I cannot expand the tab to see the packages installed: I get the error messages

Could not process unknown packet "HelpBrowserGetListBoxList".
Could not process unknown packet "HelpBrowserLookup".
Could not process unknown packet "HelpBrowserSetListBoxItem".

Has anyone encountered this? I'm probably being very thick but any help is appreciated.

Thomas Jackson

Feb 17, 2017, 11:23:12 PM2/17/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra

try this <<xAct`xTensor`    ...Notice the quote marks back to front leaning. It is above the tilde key ~ on my keyboard

Grigalius Taujanskas

Feb 18, 2017, 8:05:45 AM2/18/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
That's worked! Thanks a lot.

Thomas Jackson

Feb 20, 2017, 4:29:15 PM2/20/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Good Stuff...

Martin Lades

Jun 28, 2017, 2:28:52 AM6/28/17
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
1. Under 11.1 I still have many documentation packages fail to index/load with

Could not process unknown packet "HelpBrowserLookup".

2. There were no hints to be found about deprecation in the Documentation requirements. Is anyone aware of a description of these changes?

3. xAct loads with <<xAct`xTensor`, but adds the context xAct`xPerm` when loaded with Needs, is that correct?

Thanks.