Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.8.0 RS690 support is available

JoJo jojo

Feb 19, 2008, 1:46:12 AM2/19/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
RS690 support is available
can someone generate packages for popular distros, for users to try out,
help in testing it.

-JoJo

Feb 19, 2008, 7:26:31 AM2/19/08
to x1250
I'll try this later today on Arch Linux64.
Related convo on the radeon IRC channel with the main developer (David
Airlie)

Temujin_: hi
airlied: Temujin_: hey.. so rs690 is beta quality, as in I've run
glxgears and openarena..
Temujin_: anyone try the new 6.8 driver with rs690/X1200 yet?
airlied: it should support the outputs fine..
Temujin_: airlied, is the DVI 2D stuff working okay?
Temujin_: ok, you read my mind
airlied: Temujin_: I haven't tested mine yet..
Temujin_: the last time i tried this driver, it was on Ubuntu and it
was a pain building new mesa, drm, etc.
Temujin_: it also appeared that 2D accel wasn't working
Temujin_: but I'm using Arch now, so I'll give it a shot when they
update
Temujin_: thanks for the update
airlied: Temujin_: yeah its a bit of a pain to update.. 2d accel works
better if you have kernel support..
airlied: but I'm trying to merge that at the moment.
Temujin_: yeah, I was using a custom 2.6.24 kernel on ubuntu
Temujin_: hell, maybe i'll build it from source later today, Arch
makes it pretty easy

macauhtpc

Feb 19, 2008, 10:38:07 PM2/19/08
to x1250
So, I need to compile xf86-video-ati, mesa, drm in order to test it
out right? BTW, I am using Ubuntu gusty too.

-B

JoJo jojo

Feb 19, 2008, 11:32:31 PM2/19/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
ah yes, I'm sure a lot of users will be interested in testing it,
so packages, and even a guide to building it will help

I think we can host the packages in files section for the time being.

-JoJo

Gabriele Bosisio

Feb 20, 2008, 5:45:44 AM2/20/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
    I have make the .deb package for the new driver (I will try to attach to this email), it seem work but I can't test well because the pc is at home and I am at work.
I have compiled using this info:

http://www.paldo.org/paldo/specs/xf86-video-ati.xml

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-static --enable-dri
and
make -j 2

If attaching the .deb file to this email will not work, how can send to you the file?
Thanks
Bye

P.S. How I must configure the xorg.conf file to enable the XV Video Overlay with this driver?
xserver-xorg-video-ati_6.8.0-1_i386.deb

JoJo jojo

Feb 20, 2008, 5:48:49 AM2/20/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
WE have 100 MB space right here
https://groups.google.com/group/x1250/files

could you cross compile it for 8x6_64 as well ?

-JoJo

gaboss

Feb 20, 2008, 6:06:16 AM2/20/08
to x1250
I have never try the cross compile, I will try (but I'm not sure ..
sorry)
But you can compile the source as I explane before and the make the
deb packege easy as explane here:

http://linux.justwhitepowder.net/viewtopic.php?t=18

or

http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_linux_debian_deb_checkinstall

On Feb 20, 11:48 am, "JoJo jojo" <onetwoj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> WE have 100 MB space right herehttps://groups.google.com/group/x1250/files
>
> could you cross compile it for 8x6_64 as well ?
>
> -JoJo
>
> On Feb 20, 2008 4:15 PM, Gabriele Bosisio <gabo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> > I have make the .deb package for the new driver (I will try to attach
> > to this email), it seem work but I can't test well because the pc is at home
> > and I am at work.
> > I have compiled using this info:
>
> > http://www.paldo.org/paldo/specs/xf86-video-ati.xml
>
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib
> > --disable-static --enable-dri
> > and
> > make -j 2
>
> > If attaching the .deb file to this email will not work, how can send to you
> > the file?
> > Thanks
> > Bye
>
> > P.S. How I must configure the xorg.conf file to enable the XV Video Overlay
> > with this driver?
>
> > Il giorno mer, 20/02/2008 alle 10.02 +0530, JoJo jojo ha scritto:
>
> > ah yes, I'm sure a lot of users will be interested in testing it,
> > so packages, and even a guide to building it will help
>
> > I think we can host the packages in files section for the time being.
>
> > -JoJo

Elf

Feb 20, 2008, 6:11:42 AM2/20/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have had direct rendering support enabled?

I'v tried 6.8.0 yesterday. There are no direct rendering (all needed
kernel modules was build, i think), so, there are no 3d, xv and 2d
acceleration. Switching apps and desktops are very slow (radeonhd work
much more better with it). So, waiting...

--
----------------
Best regards

JoJo jojo

Feb 20, 2008, 6:16:41 AM2/20/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
glxgears not working ?
there is x bench or something as well

what tests did you perform ?

-JoJo

Elf

Feb 20, 2008, 6:26:42 AM2/20/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
2008/2/20, JoJo jojo <onetw...@gmail.com>:

> glxgears not working ?
> there is x bench or something as well
>
> what tests did you perform ?

glxgears runs, but this is not "working" in usual meaning. It's
rotates very slow and ugly, but show about 300fps.

glxinfo shows "direct rendering: No".
xvinfo show "no adapters presents".

mplayer -vo gl or gl2 draws standart size picture ok (with 100% cpu
load). Scaled movies will run with about 1-2FPS.

Elf

Feb 20, 2008, 6:28:36 AM2/20/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
Here are (attached) my xorg.log for this driver.

there are strings there:

(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled

2008/2/20, JoJo jojo <onetw...@gmail.com>:

1.log

JoJo jojo

Feb 20, 2008, 6:32:27 AM2/20/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
thanks,
could you forward the issue & conf & logs to
alexd...@gmail.com
air...@gmail.com

and fwd to the group, if you get any feedback

-JoJo

gaboss

Feb 20, 2008, 6:52:30 AM2/20/08
to x1250
I have the same log, but I can't try glxgear or xvinfo until I will at
home.

Thanks

On Feb 20, 12:28 pm, Elf <elf2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are (attached) my xorg.log for this driver.
>
> there are strings there:
>
> (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
> (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
> (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled
>
> 2008/2/20, JoJo jojo <onetwoj...@gmail.com>:
>

> > glxgears not working ?
> > there is x bench or something as well
>
> > what tests did you perform ?
>
> > -JoJo
>
> > On Feb 20, 2008 4:41 PM, Elf <elf2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Anyone have had direct rendering support enabled?
>
> > > I'v tried 6.8.0 yesterday. There are no direct rendering (all needed
> > > kernel modules was build, i think), so, there are no 3d, xv and 2d
> > > acceleration. Switching apps and desktops are very slow (radeonhd work
> > > much more better with it). So, waiting...
>
> > > --
> > > ----------------
> > > Best regards
> > > Elf
> > > mailto:elf2...@gmail.com
>
> --
> ----------------
> Best regards
> Elf
> mailto:elf2...@gmail.com
>
> 1.log
> 475KDownload

macauhtpc

Feb 20, 2008, 10:30:09 AM2/20/08
to x1250
Hi all,

I've tested xf86-video-ati driver. I got glxgears running around
1000fps, which is quite amazing.
However, glxinfo also shows no direct rendering and xvinfo shows no
adapters presents.
BTW, I compiled xf86-video-ati from git. I also compiled mesa/drm and
mesa/mesa.

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa

It looks like I got drm modules working, but don't know why glxinfo
shows no direct rendering.

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 7
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:05.0
(II) RADEON(0): [dri] Found DRI library version 1.3.0 and kernel
module version 1.28.0
(==) RADEON(0): Page Flipping disabled
(II) RADEON(0): Will try to use DMA for Xv image transfers
(II) RADEON(0): Generation 2 PCI interface, using max accessible
memory
(II) RADEON(0): Detected total video RAM=134217728K,
accessible=131072K (PCI BAR=131072K)
(--) RADEON(0): Mapped VideoRAM: 131072 kByte (64 bit DDR SDRAM)
(II) RADEON(0): Color tiling enabled by default
(II) RADEON(0): Max desktop size set to 2560x1200
(II) RADEON(0): For a larger or smaller max desktop size, add a
Virtual line to your xorg.conf
(II) RADEON(0): If you are having trouble with 3D, reduce the desktop
size by adjusting the Virtual line to your xorg.conf

BTW, It doesn't work with my HDMI output.

(II) RADEON(0): I2C device "HDMI-0:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
(II) RADEON(0): I2C device "HDMI-0:ddc2" removed.
(II) RADEON(0): Output: HDMI-0, Detected Monitor Type: 0
invalid output device for dac detection
(II) RADEON(0): Output HDMI-0 disconnected

I've uploaded my Xorg.0.log (bruce_xorg.0.log). If you are interested,
you can check it out.

-B
> mailto:elf2...@gmail.com

Maciej Cencora

Feb 20, 2008, 12:51:01 PM2/20/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
macauhtpc pisze:
Try running X with AIGLX disabled. It works for me.

Regards,
Maciej Cencora

macauhtpc

Feb 20, 2008, 9:44:31 PM2/20/08
to x1250
Maciej,

Will disabling AIGLX make HDMI work or make direct rendering and
XVideo work? I will give it a try later when I go home.

Maciej Cencora

Feb 21, 2008, 4:51:55 AM2/21/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
macauhtpc pisze:

> Maciej,
>
> Will disabling AIGLX make HDMI work or make direct rendering and
> XVideo work? I will give it a try later when I go home.

It should make direct rendering work.
XVideo isn't supported on rs690 yet.
To use HDMI you have to force it in xorg.conf because DDC seems to be
broken on IGP chips. To do this:
1. Add following option in your radeon device section:
Option "monitor-HDMI-0" "monitor-section-identifier-here"
2. Add following option in your monitor section:
Option "Enable" "true"

Probably you will have to add Modelines in monitor section.

Maciej Cencora

macauhtpc

Feb 21, 2008, 9:13:20 AM2/21/08
to x1250
Maciej,

Thanks! I got HDMI working but it only shows 1024x768.
I disabled AIGLX but glxinfo still shows not Direct Rendering, but
interestingly, Xorg.0.log shows Direct Rendering is enable.

Bruce

Maciej Cencora

Feb 22, 2008, 8:34:04 AM2/22/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
macauhtpc pisze:

> Maciej,
>
> Thanks! I got HDMI working but it only shows 1024x768.

Did you add Modeline line to Monitor section?
Paste xrandr output.

> I disabled AIGLX but glxinfo still shows not Direct Rendering, but
> interestingly, Xorg.0.log shows Direct Rendering is enable.
Maybe you are using the newest mesa which is broken. Try
4dfcb09960e4775b5ca2038b7cc608f7720cec20 revision.
It works for me. I can play quake3 and open arena.
If it won't help post somewhere your Xorg.0.log.

Maciej Cencora

Maciej Cencora

Feb 23, 2008, 6:40:30 PM2/23/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
macauhtpc pisze:

> BTW, It doesn't work with my HDMI output.
>
> (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "HDMI-0:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
> (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "HDMI-0:ddc2" removed.
> (II) RADEON(0): Output: HDMI-0, Detected Monitor Type: 0
> invalid output device for dac detection
> (II) RADEON(0): Output HDMI-0 disconnected
>
> I've uploaded my Xorg.0.log (bruce_xorg.0.log). If you are interested,
> you can check it out.

HDMI should be working now without any additional options.

Maciej Cencora

djdoo

Feb 24, 2008, 5:50:50 AM2/24/08
to x1250
Hey guys take a look at this:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM1Mg

Focus on the update 2 lines!

macauhtpc

Feb 24, 2008, 10:12:58 PM2/24/08
to x1250
I will try out the latest git. So, XV is working also, right?

Thanks!

Maciej Cencora

Feb 25, 2008, 10:39:27 AM2/25/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
macauhtpc pisze:

> I will try out the latest git. So, XV is working also, right?

It should, but I get wobbly video so its unusable. Try it anyway, maybe
it will work for you.
Does VT switching and resolution changing work for you?

Maciej Cencora

macauhtpc

Feb 26, 2008, 11:16:23 AM2/26/08
to x1250
Maciej,

Thanks again.
I checked out and compiled the latest git of xf86-video-ati. I got a
good xvinfo result.

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "Radeon Textured Video"
number of ports: 16
port base: 73
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x23
depth 24, visualID 0x24
depth 24, visualID 0x25
depth 24, visualID 0x26
depth 24, visualID 0x27
depth 24, visualID 0x28
depth 24, visualID 0x29
depth 24, visualID 0x2a
no port attributes defined
maximum XvImage size: 2048 x 2048
Number of image formats: 4
id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x30323449 (I420)
guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x59565955 (UYVY)
guid: 55595659-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)

However, when I play a video clip with mplayer -vo xv, I only got an
green screen with some diagonal lines. glxinfo still shows no Direct
Rendering.

name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
server glx vendor string: Brian Paul
server glx version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.1
server glx extensions:
GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_pixmap_colormap,
GLX_MESA_release_buffers, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address,
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
client glx vendor string: Brian Paul
client glx version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.1
client glx extensions:
GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_pixmap_colormap,
GLX_MESA_release_buffers, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address,
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
GLX version: 1.4
GLX extensions:
GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_pixmap_colormap,
GLX_MESA_release_buffers, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address,
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
OpenGL vendor string: Brian Paul
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa X11
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.1
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
GL_ARB_fragment_program,
GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_fragment_shader,
GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multisample,
GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query,
GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object,
GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite,
GL_ARB_shader_objects,
GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_shading_language_120,
GL_ARB_shadow,
GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,
GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine,
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two,
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program,
GL_ARB_vertex_shader,
GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,
GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_EXT_blend_minmax,
GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
GL_EXT_convolution,
GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test,
GL_EXT_draw_range_elements,
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit,
GL_EXT_fog_coord,
GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_histogram,
GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays,
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels,
GL_EXT_paletted_texture, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object,
GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_EXT_polygon_offset,
GL_EXT_rescale_normal,
GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color,
GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette,
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap,
GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D,
GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp,
GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle,
GL_EXT_texture_sRGB,
GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels,
GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate,
GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once,
GL_ATI_fragment_shader, GL_ATI_separate_stencil,
GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip,
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate,
GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_program_debug,
GL_MESA_resize_buffers,
GL_MESA_texture_array, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_MESA_window_pos,
GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_fragment_program,
GL_NV_light_max_exponent,
GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_NV_texture_rectangle,
GL_NV_texgen_reflection,
GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1,
GL_OES_read_format,
GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table,
GL_SGI_texture_color_table,
GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp,
GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_lod,
GL_SGIX_depth_texture,
GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_SGIX_shadow_ambient, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
0x23 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 0 0 0 None
0x24 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x25 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x26 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x27 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x28 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x29 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2a 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2b 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2c 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2d 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2e 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2f 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x30 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x31 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x32 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None

I git-revert to revision 4dfcb09960e4775b5ca2038b7cc608f7720cec20, but
it is still showing the same message.
Xorg.0.log still shows Direct Rendering enabled, but xdriinfo caused
core dump.

glxgears is about 800fps.

I can do VT switching (if VT stands for Virtual terminal). However, I
could not get resolution changing working. The maximum resolution I
got is 1360x768. I could never got 1920x1080 working. Since it is
connecting to the LCDTV, I could not test on HDMI connector.

xrandr shows
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1360 x 768, maximum 1360 x 1200
VGA-0 disconnected 1360x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 0mm x 0mm
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right)
1360x768 (0x5d) 84.8MHz
h: width 1360 start 1432 end 1568 total 1776 skew 0
clock 47.7KHz
v: height 768 start 771 end 781 total 798
clock 59.8Hz

Best,
Bruce

Maciej Cencora

Feb 26, 2008, 1:07:20 PM2/26/08
to x1...@googlegroups.com
macauhtpc pisze:

> I git-revert to revision 4dfcb09960e4775b5ca2038b7cc608f7720cec20, but
> it is still showing the same message.
> Xorg.0.log still shows Direct Rendering enabled, but xdriinfo caused
> core dump.
Newest git revision is working again, but to find the problem please run
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
and post output.

About Xv, I just realized that it doesn't work for me too sometimes.
I've to run an 3d app first to get Xv working.

Maciej Cencora