wxProgressDialog problems

David Woods

Apr 17, 2015, 1:09:18 PM4/17/15
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm using wxPython 3.0.1.1 and Python 2.7.8, and am having trouble with
positioning of the wxProgress dialog on Windows. It behaves properly on
OS X in my tests.

No matter what I do, the progress dialog is centered over its parent
window. dlg.CenterOnScreen() has no effect. Changing the parent to
None has no effect. Trying to brute-force change the ProgressDialog's
size or position has no effect. Nothing has any effect.

In trying to overcome this (because I NEED the progress centered on the
screen regardless of where the parent is to avoid it hanging off the
edge of the screen), I've discovered more problems. dlg.GetRect(),
dlg.GetSize(), and dlg.GetPosition() all report crazy numbers which can
be anywhere from the positive billions to the negative tens of millions
and bear no relationship to the size or position of the dialog on the
screen.

This can all be demonstrated in the wxPython Demo. Try adding
"dlg.CenterOnScreen()" just after the ProgressDialog is created. Add
"self.log.WriteText("GetRect(): %s" % (dlg.GetRect(),))" to the progress
increment loop.

Any suggestions for how to get the wxProgressDialog moved to the center
of the screen on Windows would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
David