OSX / wxPython3.0 - Frozen app does not show itself on startup

Ryan Holmes

Nov 24, 2015, 12:02:01 AM11/24/15
to wxPython-users
Hello,

We are in the process of upgrading our OSX client to use python 2.7.9 and wxPython 3.0. This is the first time in years that we have updated the OSX binaries (we would make releases by simply swapping out the source code and keeping the binaries, which worked great until we recently developed a need to include newer versions of the binaries).

For anyone who would like a demonstration of the issue, please download the app and test it, otherwise I will do my best to describe it: http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/1511/pyfa-20151122-81f122-mac-wx3.zip

When launching the app, the OSX Toolbar updates with our custom wx.MenuBar, and the icon shows up in the dock. However, the window does not display. If you click on the icon in the dock, it suddenly pops up. Using the menu seems to work, and if we open a new window with the menu, both the top window and the new frame spring into existence.

What seems to be weird though is that a small test script I have does not seem to be affected by this issue when build with the same `python setup.py py2app` (only replacing the script filename) (test.pysetup.py). The test script works without a hitch when running the package.

The really weird part is that if I replace the starting script in the problem app with the test script, if has the same problem with not showing up. I am not sure what to make of this.

Can anyone shine some light on this issue?