Google index to Pheonix documentation is broken

Franklin Bristow

Jun 16, 2016, 4:31:09 PM6/16/16
to wxPython-users
Hi all,
I posted about this in the IRC channel and driscollis recommended that I post about it here, too.

When I search for something like "wxpython sizer" with Google, the results that are coming back are pointing to stale links. For example, my search result includes a link to

http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/Sizer.html

but the right location for this document is

http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/wx.Sizer.html

The only difference seems to be the "wx." prefix on the link.

FYI.

Thanks,
- Franklin

Emad Dlala

Jun 16, 2016, 4:32:09 PM6/16/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
I noticed the same problem since a few days ago.

Robin Dunn

Jun 16, 2016, 4:39:38 PM6/16/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
The structure of the document tree changed last week.  I expect that Google will reindex it soon.

Robin

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM, Franklin Bristow <fbri...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
I posted about this in the IRC channel and driscollis recommended that I post about it here, too.

When I search for something like "wxpython sizer" with Google, the results that are coming back are pointing to stale links. For example, my search result includes a link to

http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/Sizer.html

but the right location for this document is

http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/wx.Sizer.html

The only difference seems to be the "wx." prefix on the link.

FYI.

Thanks,
- Franklin

Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman
http://wxPython.org

Steve Barnes

Jun 17, 2016, 1:04:41 AM6/17/16

On 16/06/2016 21:39, Robin Dunn wrote:
> The structure of the document tree changed last week. I expect that
> Google will reindex it soon.
>
> Robin

Robin,

Site administrators can trigger an immediate google reindex as described
at https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6065812?hl=en by using
the Google Search Console - it requires that someone with the ability to
upload to the site:

- goes to https://www.google.com/webmasters/
- Logs in to a google account
- Enters the site address
- Either downloads a token file and uploads it to the web site or adds
some specific tokens to the web site.
- Does a Fetch or fetch and render then triggers a reindex.
- Crawl this URL and its direct links sounds like what is needed but
you are limited to 10 such requests in a 30 day period.

So all we need is someone with write access to the web site.
--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

Robin Dunn

Jul 27, 2016, 10:41:01 PM7/27/16
Steve Barnes wrote:
[...]

It's moot now but for the record I had done that a few days prior and also at the time I wrote the reply above and it still took several more days for Google searches to not respond with the old addresses.  I think rather than an immediate reindex it just adds the sites to a queue and that it still needs to process the backlog before it actually happens. There are probably some sketchy SEO services companies that are constantly and automatically resubmitting URLs as often as Google allows and that is clogging up the queue for the rest of us.