almost 16 months

John Fabiani

Apr 25, 2016, 11:51:32 AM4/25/16
to wxpython-users
Hi Everyone,

It's been almost 16 months since we had an update.  I don't see Robin answering question any longer - at least none I noticed.  The Phoenix project just has nightly builds but I don't see new code (not exactly true there is something supporting python 3.5).  The messages and questions have slowed to a crawl.

So I think it is fair to say "we are very close to one more dead open source project".

I do not want to see this die.  I'm willing to help with some money (I don't have the skills to write C or C ++ code).  I have limited resources but I can help with some cash.

But first we need to find someone willing to take over with the skills (even if we have the money). I know many believe the desktop program is dead.  But it's not - with the web being hacked daily and mobile apps not suited to data entry - the desktop is NOT dead.  GitHub just came out with Electron - because they believe the desktop is not dead.

We could just move to other tech and say bye to wxPython but what about the investment we all made.  If wxPython would just moved to Python 3 we all could get many more years just using wxPython.

Please guys don't let this die.  Let's do something - organize a way to fund a programmer and move forward.  Let's not lose our investment in wxPython.

Johnf

Karsten Hilbert

Apr 25, 2016, 12:29:47 PM4/25/16
to wxpython-users
I think the way forward would be to actually get a Phoenix
release out the door, even if incmplete so we can start
porting to that (and Python 3).

One of the big things would be to convince Debian to include Phoenix ...

Once we got that I'd be one reporting bugs like crazy (for
which some money could be spent, eventually).

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Emad Dlala

Apr 25, 2016, 12:57:06 PM4/25/16
to wxPython-users, wxPytho...@googlegroups.com

I share the same concerns here. I'm sad to see great developers such as Robin and Andrea Gavana disappear from the scene. I don't know how I can help but I see an opportunity here for skilled developers to pick up the wxPython code and perhaps create a commercial version of it if licensing permits. I don't mind that. Perhaps similar to the QT suite.

Dietmar Schwertberger

Apr 25, 2016, 2:15:04 PM4/25/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
On 25.04.2016 17:51, John Fabiani wrote:
> It's been almost 16 months since we had an update. I don't see Robin
> answering question any longer - at least none I noticed. The Phoenix
> project just has nightly builds but I don't see new code (not exactly
> true there is something supporting python 3.5). The messages and
> questions have slowed to a crawl.
Robin does not have too much time for wxPython, so a proper release is
probably some time away.
Nonetheless, Phoenix is quite usable. I have been using it with Python
3.4 and 3.5
for several months now and I did not run into problems.
(I'm using my own build, as the nightly builds do not yet have the
Metafile classes.)
Just give Phoenix a try. Keep your code 2/3 neutral in the beginning
until you're confident that Phoenix is working for you.

Regards,

Dietmar

Emad Dlala

Apr 25, 2016, 2:21:57 PM4/25/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
I think "giving it a try" is not a sustainable solution for this situation. The wxPython community has to do something now or, unfortunately, many would start migrating to other frameworks. I want to stick with wxPython but the situation isn't looking good unless we act. I'm happy to contribute to pay a developer maintain the code.

Andrea Gavana

Apr 25, 2016, 2:44:43 PM4/25/16
to wxPython-users
Dear wxPythoneers,

As you are surely aware, I have been using wxPython for very many years - more than 10 years actually. And beside the AGW library, I have contributed to the Phoenix build process, documentation and porting to Python 3.

I am saddened by the long time that has passed since Robin pitched in, but then again I haven't been any more active myself. Work requirements have escalated quite a bit for me, and my family has greatly expanded in the last two years, so my time has been severely curtailed.

That being said, I still use wxPython (Classic) all the time, for all GUI-based applications we develop. I have hundreds of thousands LOC of wxPython/Python tools. One of Maersk Oil flagship applications would not have been possible without me being able to use wxPython as a GUI framework.

I'd be willing to give a shot at trying and push Phoenix forward - at least until Robin (who is always the lead developer and BDFL of wxPython) has the time to do some more work on wxPython. Depending on the requirements, I may be able to commit around an hour per day to this task. I am unclear how any financial investments might be used in this regard, and in any case I would be reluctant to accept anything until I can prove that I can devote the time I promised to phoenix development *and* that I am actually able to do the technical work. I kind of despise Python 3 for all the nuances it introduced for such little gains, but I recognize that there are now quite a lot of developers using it as their main programming language version.

Of course, all I said is just nonsense if the community has better ideas on how to push the wxPython development forward. And I may also need some help in scheduling/prioritizing the bulk of the work so that our time is not wasted in tiny details (at least at the beginning).

Suggestions/comments are more than appreciated :-) .

Andrea.

Emad Dlala

Apr 25, 2016, 2:55:19 PM4/25/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hellooooooo Andrea,

I feel so much better now just to know that you're still a wxPyhton user. This gives me a lot more hope :)

Guys, we should really, really figure out how we can arrange for Andrea to push Phoenix forward.

 I'm also a fan of Python 2.7 (not yet into Python 3) and I see Python 2.7 alive and active for many years to come so I'd recommend to have a Phoenix version that compatible with Python 2.7. Again it's just a suggestion and I leave the experts talk and decide.

Welcome again Andrea! Hope Robin will follow :)

Thanks,
Emad

johnf

Apr 25, 2016, 9:22:01 PM4/25/16
to wxPython-users
Wow your efforts would be awesome!  When you get to a point where money can be accepted just shout out.  I'll bet there is enough to cover some of the pain that would come from taking time away from other duties.  Also I can test and help with many other items.  Just let me know!

I use Dabo which is built on wxPython and I can promise that shortly after Phoenix goes stable I'll get Dabo working.

I believe that the current 3.x is fine for 2.7 and there is no need to attempt to have Phoenix support python 2.7.  Once everything is stable and working for python 3.x  then we can talk about adding features etc.  Including my request of supporting some sort of CSS.

Just shout out!  I'll help!

Johnf

tsmorton

Apr 26, 2016, 3:36:50 PM4/26/16
to wxPython-users, wxPytho...@googlegroups.com
I also would be happy to help financially support the continuation of wxPython. I have countless hours invested and would like to continue with it. Even an update of Classic to 3.1.0 would help. I could use the 4k display and MediaCtrl updates in wxWidgets 3.1.0.

Phoenix is out of the question for me as is. It does not support required controls, MediaCtrl being a big one.

The Desktop is not dead. It has slowed some but is by no means dead. I have over a 1000 downloads every week of my apps on just Windows. Not counting Mac and Linux.

Mario Lacunza

Apr 26, 2016, 3:59:37 PM4/26/16
to wxPython-users
Hi,

nice thread! some months ago I asked the same... actually I have many systems in Python 2.7+wxpython and I need to migrate into Python 3, for example latest release of Ubuntu 16.04 use Python 3.5 like main version and Python 2.7 for compatibility, I think the others distros will do the same in the next months.

So due to the lack of answers here about next release I start searching, Kivy is good for mobiles apps but still a littleboy for desktop software... now I just can read about Pyside will be developed by the same company of QT and with the same license (not dual like pyqt) so now this lib could be a good option if I need to port all my systems to Python 3.x.

Meanwhile I can contribute with testing ...for example I reported this bug in Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wxwidgets3.0/+bug/1388847

more than 1 year ago and still is not fixed :( looks like distros dont want to help with wxpython ...

So I'll be reading news here, hope wxpython can take again his place in the Opensource software, or I'll need to wait for Pyside+qt5

Saludos / Best regards

Mario Lacunza
Email:: mlac...@gmail.com
Personal Website:: http://www.lacunza.biz/
Hosting:: http://mlv-host.com/
Mascotas Perdidas:: http://mascotas-perdidas.com/
Skype: mlacunzav

Lima - Peru

Tim Roberts

Apr 26, 2016, 5:33:05 PM4/26/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
John Fabiani wrote:

It's been almost 16 months since we had an update.  ...  The Phoenix project just has nightly builds but I don't see new code (not exactly true there is something supporting python 3.5).  The messages and questions have slowed to a crawl.

So I think it is fair to say "we are very close to one more dead open source project".

This is a pet peeve of mine.  I know my opinion is not universally shared, but here it is anyway.

When one starts an open source project, one envisions that it will solve some problem.  Once that problem has been solved, the project is finished.  The open source world seems to have a SERIOUS problem with any project being declared "finished".  Why do we feel the need to churn features endlessly?  If wxPython provides a Python interface to wxWidgets, and that works, then why should we expect there to be a continuous stream of pointless features?

Now, it's true that there are known, unsolved bugs in wxPython, so in that sense there is still work to be done, but I'm not sure there's anything wrong with a "dead open source project".  After all, the entire user interface universe upon which wxWidgets is based is itself dead.  Microsoft isn't doing anything new with GDI, and hasn't for years.  We've already missed two revolutions (Windows Forms and WPF), and the world is moving into a third (descriptive HTML UIs with Javascript).  Should wxPython really need to be changing?
--
Tim Roberts, ti...@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Mike Driscoll

Apr 26, 2016, 5:50:51 PM4/26/16
to wxPython-users

[...]

While I have resisted moving to Python 3 as well, it seems that there is an official / unofficial EOL for Python 2 in 2020 - http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/

So if we want to use wxPython in future versions of Python, then there is definitely a reason to port to Python 3 for that reason alone. I personally don't care if wxPython continually gets new features, but I do think it's one of the easiest GUI toolkits for Pytohn around and I will use it for as long as I can.

Mike

Emad Dlala

Apr 26, 2016, 6:08:48 PM4/26/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Mike. We need to support the effort of upgrading wxPython.

Matthew Newville

Apr 26, 2016, 11:28:51 PM4/26/16
to wxPython-users, wxPytho...@googlegroups.com

I completely agree with you.  I do not want to see wxPython or Phoenix development die.  Like many others, I have been using wxPython for a long time, and have many wxPython programs that I maintain and use daily, and continue to develop.  I've had good experiences with Phoenix, but have done only light testing with Phoenix and Python3.  I am not eager to switch to another GUI toolkit.

Like others have expressed, I doubt I could actually do the C++ work myself,  but I'd be willing to try to pitch in resources.   I should  admit that I'm somewhat disappointed that neither Enthought nor ContinuumIO have made this happen.    If it is only a matter of paying for Robin's time (or Enthought or ContinuumIO) o do the work, would it be too impolite to find out what is needed?

Anyway, as you say it have been a very long time.  I think we have to start considering the possibility that relying on Robin to do this development may not be working out very well for wxPython users.    Assuming for the moment that Robin is not going to make a Phoenix release, does anyone have a sense for how much work that would be?

Cheers,

--Matt Newville

Andrea Gavana

Apr 27, 2016, 1:47:12 AM4/27/16
to wxPython-users
Hi,

It can be quite some work. To be honest, I think there is only one person who can move swiftly and nimbly through the entire wxPython codebase - after all,Robin created wxPython. For anybody else, it's going to be a slower, more error-prone approach.

Although we have introduced a lot of automation in the Phoenix building/compilation/testing/documentation generation/continuous integration process, there are still quite a few places where the programmer intervention in the only way: most notably patches, Python docstrings, testing-testing-testing, clear and reproducible bug reports. Not to mention the support of various versions/architectures on Windows, 1,489 different Linux distributions (each of them with their funny assumptions about HIG for user interfaces) and Mac. I would tend to say that it's quite a task for a single person.

I have started playing with the latest Phoenix - forked, compiled, built the docs, playing with the demo, looked at the bugs and PRs on GitHub. I believe that fixing the bugs in the Python code or adapting it to support Python 3 should not be a daunting task, but I am less sure when it comes to the C++/Python integration part. More so, if a bug is found in the mother library (wxWidgets), then it needs to be demonstrated with a C++ sample, submitted as a bug report, a patch needs to be created, and maybe it will get accepted. We have no control over that.

While I can do quite some work for Windows and Linux, I have zero access to and zero experience with Mac. So any bug that will need testing/debugging on that platform will leave me powerless. I will do some more work in the next coming days on my fork to see how far support for Python 3 has gotten, and potentially iron out some of the bugs on Python 2. In the meanwhile, I hope everybody knows that there are Phoenix snapshots built continuously here:

For all platforms/architectures I can think of. I think we should all try them out and see if there are strange things going on.

Andrea.

Karsten Hilbert

Apr 27, 2016, 6:19:04 AM4/27/16
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 02:33:01PM -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:

> John Fabiani wrote:

>> So I think it is fair to say "we are very close to one more dead open
>> source project".
>
> This is a pet peeve of mine. I know my opinion is not universally
> shared, but here it is anyway.
>
> When one starts an open source project, one envisions that it will solve
> some problem. Once that problem has been solved, the project is
> finished. The open source world seems to have a SERIOUS problem with
> any project being declared "finished". Why do we feel the need to churn
> features endlessly? If wxPython provides a Python interface to
> wxWidgets, and that works, then why should we expect there to be a
> continuous stream of pointless features?

IMO the above is not meant to say wxPython is dead because
there are no new features being added.

I would rather think it alludes to the fact that it doesn't
seem to be kept relevant on current platforms as timely as
one would wish:

- Python 3
- "official" releases of Phoenix
- packages for, say, Debian or Ubuntu

and thusly risks to fall by the wayside DESPITE NOT being
dead as far as usefulness is concerned.

It is important to have available official releases and
packages for *end user* suitability.

Note that I am not whining about the above situation, merely
pointing out my understanding of where we stand with regard
to wxPython. Unfortunately, I lack the skills and time to
offer substantial help.

Emad Dlala

Apr 27, 2016, 11:22:50 AM4/27/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Fabulous, Andrea!

I can help testing Phoenix in Windows 7 & 10 and report bugs. Also I can even help more with any patches for wxPython 3 that's compatible with Python 2.7.

Dev Player

Apr 27, 2016, 6:35:57 PM4/27/16
to wxpython-users
Where money can be spent to get Robin-like help:
  • Computer with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 maybe Vista? (I'm on Windows XP with python 3.5)
  • Appropriate Visual Studio Pro versions for said computers
  • A Mac computer with appropriate OS and software tools.
  • Computer with Linux OS(es)
  • Profession Git(hub) account/SourceForge accounts.

I am not sure if Robin said not too long ago (perhaps not in these forums) that he finally got the a new-dash-updated-licensed-version of Visual Studio Pro finally.

Who ever helps needs to know how Robin codes for distributing Python language versions within wxPython and Phoenix version-ed code. That would help a a lot.

Mario Lacunza

Apr 27, 2016, 7:13:36 PM4/27/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com

I don't understand your point, but I think Robin need to said something at this point.

Enviado desde mi LG G3

ricpol

Apr 28, 2016, 3:58:54 AM4/28/16
to wxPython-users

Il giorno mercoledì 27 aprile 2016 07:47:12 UTC+2, Infinity77 ha scritto:

It can be quite some work. To be honest, I think there is only one person who can move swiftly and nimbly through the entire wxPython codebase - after all,Robin created wxPython. For anybody else, it's going to be a slower, more error-prone approach.

Hi Andrea,
it's great news that you're stepping forward! While I think you're surely up to the task, my humble advice would be to set things in such a way to make it easier for other people to join in. We need some sort of roadmap, a list of priorities, and a call for volunteers.

For what it's worth, my opinion would be:
- to completely forget about wxPython classic and more in general Python 2.7 support, and just focus on Phoenix / Python 3: specifically, make clear that we won't work on supporting wx3.1 on wxPython classic;
- to aim to a first minimal *working* beta of Phoenix, dropping all the unfinished/problematic parts for now. I know it's a shame to leave out the media ctrl and many other things: but I think that if we can come out with a first clean Phoenix version that "just works", then the project will regain momentum and the missing widgets could be re-added later;
- by "just working" I mean 1) targeting Python 3.5 and ready for Python 3.6; 2) easily pip-installing and working in a consistent way on all the supported platforms; 3) well documented (eg., a clear migration guide from wxPython classic);
- then, we should focus on provinding support: if we are able to close tickets, release bugfixes etc., the project will live again;
- then, and only them, we should start working on the missing parts.

Having said that, it's still not clear to me how to give shape to this rebooting effort. Do you have commit privileges on the official Phoenix repo? If not, are you thinking to officially fork it, maintainging eg. a separate bug tracker, separate website, etc.?

Also, it would be nice to hear from Werner about this - AFAIK he has commit privileges on the Phoenix repo, and he is (was?) the unofficial "second in command" until last year...

Finally, of course, any word from Robin would be more than welcome at this point.

just my 2c

riccardo

Karsten Hilbert

Apr 28, 2016, 6:49:30 AM4/28/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
> I don't understand your point, but I think Robin need to said something at this point.

AFAIR, Robin has been hired to work on QtSomething
and voiced his general willingness to look at
wxPython issues as time allows.

Time doesn't allow, apparently (which is fine). I
think we need to also strongly investigate non-Robin
solutions.

Karsten

Emad Dlala

Apr 28, 2016, 2:06:38 PM4/28/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to add this tip since this thread is read by many people. Please, if you can, change your default notification settings so that you can receive all postings in this group. This way, we can help each other by seeing all emails and issues.

1. Click on My groups
2. Change the email setting to All email

See picture below.

Inline image 1

Chris Barker

Apr 30, 2016, 12:09:37 AM4/30/16
to wxpython-users
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Tim Roberts <ti...@probo.com> wrote:
[...]

no, not really -- but it does need maintenance. Every software project does -- we WILL need to go to py3 at some point, and at the wxWidgets level, bugs will crop up with each new version of the OSs.

It is too bad that wxPython has been a one-person project for so long (Not completely, there have been a few folks that have contributed core code or core bug fixes, but close)

But it's a pretty complicated piece of software -- not many folks are capable of really driving it forward.

But there seems to be a fair bit of interest here, so maybe someone else can take on the administrative job, and we can find folks to actually go an and do bug fixes.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov

stal...@gmail.com

May 2, 2016, 9:42:22 PM5/2/16
to wxPython-users, wxPytho...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I didn't notice this thread because I was only subscribed to wxpython-dev not users.

I am certainly willing to help out with Phoenix (and I have been doing what I can, see the list of open pull requests waiting to be merged).

I am working on packaging Phoenix for Fedora (and am planning to do so for Debian also afterwards).

Probably what would be really helpful for the project is for more people to start using Phoenix and report the issues that they find.

It would be helpful though if Robin could comment and maybe pass on/share the torch.  :-)

Scott

stal...@gmail.com

May 2, 2016, 9:42:25 PM5/2/16
to wxPython-users

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 3:59:37 PM UTC-4, Mario Lacunza wrote:
Meanwhile I can contribute with testing ...for example I reported this bug in Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wxwidgets3.0/+bug/1388847

more than 1 year ago and still is not fixed :( looks like distros dont want to help with wxpython ...

That's a packaging bug inherited from Debian.  Ubuntu doesn't modify the package so in those cases you may get faster response if you create a Debian bug upstream.

In any event, the Debian bug will be fixed soon.

Scott

Robin Dunn

May 2, 2016, 9:44:56 PM5/2/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm still here and am not dead yet! ;-)

Seriously, as you've all probably guessed, there have been changes and
complications that have affected the time I have for wxPython and
Phoenix, but I do still have the desire to move it forward. I have been
working on reorganizing things so I can spend more time on the projects,
but once the momentum was gone it's been hard to get caught up and get
things rolling at a steady pace again even as more time became available.

Although the desire to complete Phoenix is still present, maybe it is
time for more motivation to help get me over the first mountain,
although I really hate asking for donations. There really isn't any
hardware or other tools that I need to do the work, and payments along
the way are not really motivating for me these days, but perhaps a
larger bounty upon completion of the first official Phoenix release
would be the right carrot to help get me moving forward and to keep
moving at a steady pace.

What do you guys think about pledging to some fund that only pays out
when the release is finished? Is there some online service that would
be appropriate for managing this? At first glance it doesn't seem like
it would fit in with kickstarter or indegogo, but maybe they have an
option for a bounty system or maybe there is something else. It
probably wouldn't be appropriate for me to administrate this since I
would likely be the primary beneficiary, so is somebody willing to take
the lead?

One non-dev, non-$$$ way that people can help out is to continue doing
what you have been doing on this mail list, helping each other out and
taking care of newbies too. I'm unable to keep up with wx email so if
I'm able to just focus on wxPython-dev instead of both of them then that
will help greatly. If there is something that absolutely needs my
attention but isn't appropriate for wxPython-dev then feel free to point
it out to me, but if you guys can take care of it please do.

Any other suggestions?

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman

Emad Dlala

May 3, 2016, 1:44:25 AM5/3/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
I'm so glad you're back, Robin!!!!

Guys, please let's have all of us contribute by evetythjng we can to move forward. As I promised before, I'm happy to ask my company for finical help. But let's have some official way to collect funding as Robin suggested. I will check on my side of ways how to do that.

Steve (Gadget) Barnes

May 3, 2016, 1:56:42 AM5/3/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
One suggestion for a funding mechanism might be bountysource
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bountysource &
https://www.bountysource.com/- I haven't used them myself but the github
integration looks promising.
--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

Karsten Hilbert

May 3, 2016, 3:18:17 AM5/3/16
to wxPython-users
On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 06:11:33PM -0700, stal...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am working on packaging Phoenix for Fedora (and am planning to do so for
> Debian also afterwards).

Yay !! :-))

I can offer testing non-official packages if need be.

At which point I can start:

> Probably what would be really helpful for the project is for more people to
> start using Phoenix and report the issues that they find.

Best,

jmfauth

May 3, 2016, 4:05:37 AM5/3/16
to wxPython-users
Today, there are no more working GUI toolkits for Python.
Probably, the single remaining options are:
Jython or IronPython.

See: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.python/2NJfjVcwqQ8

Regards.

David Woods

May 3, 2016, 10:25:44 AM5/3/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

I'm really glad to hear you're not dead yet. I hope life is treating
you well.

Put me down for contributing to the completion bounty. For me,
wxMediaCtrl is absolutely essential, though, if you want my cash. ;)>

David

Matt Newville

May 3, 2016, 10:58:37 AM5/3/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

Thanks very much for the post, Robin. I'd be willing to pitch in, in both respects as well.  I'm not great at C++, but if there is a concerted effort developing and maintaining wxPython, I'd be happy to help with testing and trying to fix problems on all three platforms.

Phoenix is working pretty well for me (testing mostly on Mac OSX and Windows7 64bit with Python2.7 and 3.5).   I've had some trouble with initial attempts at translating code from Classic that use DC contexts for fast image display, but I haven't tracked these down to know whether this is an issue with Phoenix or my code.  I should say admit that I don't use MediaCtrl.

I agree with the sentiment that it would be better to release Phoenix for both Python 2 and 3 soon, even if there are known missing or crippled features compared to Classic.  With only snapshot builds available, I think that Phoenix is used much less than it could be.

I do see several Issues and PRs on the github site, but I assume these aren't the main problems standing in the way of release.   It would be nice to see a more strategic and complete to-do list for release, if only to understand what needs the most work.   Does such a list exist?

--Matt

David Hughes

May 3, 2016, 11:21:06 AM5/3/16
to wxPython-users, ro...@alldunn.com

On Tuesday, 3 May 2016 02:44:56 UTC+1, Robin Dunn wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm still here and am not dead yet! ;-)

Any other suggestions?

--
Robin Dunn

It's good to hear from you Robin. I think we all appreciate how busy you are. Like you, I've been involved in other things and have not had much time to follow the different wxPython-xxxx groups very closely recently, but in the last few weeks I have been converting my own (commercial) wxPython software to Python 3.4 & Phoenix. It has all gone pretty well and I have only a handful of issues to raise - some fairly trivial but one or two show stoppers -  like the classes based on wx.lib.activex.ActiveXCtrl.

I don't know the best place to report these. Maybe there should be a new group called wxPython-phoenix specifically for raising, discussing and generally keeping in touch - perhaps at the expense of wxPython-mac which has only received about six messages this year.

I don't have the C++ skills to contribute anything to the central core but if anything in Python or cross-platform testing needs doing, someone please say. I'm also more than happy to contribute to a completion bonus/bounty if that will help.

--
Regards
David Hughes

Mike Driscoll

May 3, 2016, 2:34:48 PM5/3/16
to wxPython-users

They are actually working on a new PyQt (and PySide2) for the latest versions of Qt. Of course, there's also Tkinter. And there's also Kivy, although it's quite a bit different from the others.

Mike

Tim Roberts

May 3, 2016, 5:54:55 PM5/3/16
jmfauth wrote:
Today, there are no more working GUI toolkits for Python.
Probably, the single remaining options are:
Jython or IronPython.

I don't know what you were trying to say here, but as you have stated it that statement is just silly.  WxPython, Qt, and TkInter are all alive and well, as well as a plethora of smaller and more specialized toolkits.

Scott Talbert

May 4, 2016, 12:12:11 AM5/4/16
On Tue, 3 May 2016, Matt Newville wrote:

> I agree with the sentiment that it would be better to release Phoenix for
> both Python 2 and 3 soon, even if there are known missing or crippled
> features compared to Classic.  With only snapshot builds available, I think
> that Phoenix is used much less than it could be.

I'm not sure why people are so scared of the snapshot builds. :) They
are generally working pretty well, from my experience.

> I do see several Issues and PRs on the github site, but I assume these
> aren't the main problems standing in the way of release.   It would be nice
> to see a more strategic and complete to-do list for release, if only to
> understand what needs the most work.   Does such a list exist?

Well there is this:
https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/blob/master/TODO.txt

Scott

Scott Talbert

May 4, 2016, 12:14:54 AM5/4/16
to wxPython-users
On Tue, 3 May 2016, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> I am working on packaging Phoenix for Fedora (and am planning to do so for
>> Debian also afterwards).
>
> Yay !! :-))
>
> I can offer testing non-official packages if need be.

Which would you be interested in, Fedora or Debian?

Scott

Karsten Hilbert

May 4, 2016, 5:21:44 AM5/4/16
On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 12:07:54AM -0400, Scott Talbert wrote:

> > I agree with the sentiment that it would be better to release Phoenix for
> > both Python 2 and 3 soon, even if there are known missing or crippled
> > features compared to Classic.  With only snapshot builds available, I think
> > that Phoenix is used much less than it could be.
>
> I'm not sure why people are so scared of the snapshot builds. :) They are
> generally working pretty well, from my experience.

Distributions want Known Good Points (IOW, releases) and end
users / IT firms want Official Packages. It's all about
maintainability and common ground.

If I tell my users (medical practices) to "grab a snapshot
build and cross your fingers, they work pretty well", they'll
go "uh, no".

If snapshots work pretty well it "should" be a no-brainer to
spin a release from one of them.

Regards,

Karsten Hilbert

May 4, 2016, 5:22:27 AM5/4/16
On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 12:14:47AM -0400, Scott Talbert wrote:

> > > I am working on packaging Phoenix for Fedora (and am planning to do so for
> > > Debian also afterwards).
> >
> > Yay !! :-))
> >
> > I can offer testing non-official packages if need be.
>
> Which would you be interested in, Fedora or Debian?

Debian :-)

Thanks for asking !

Karsten Hilbert

May 4, 2016, 5:25:06 AM5/4/16
On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 11:21:38AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> If snapshots work pretty well it "should" be a no-brainer to
> spin a release from one of them.

Note that I am neither saying that *packages* should be a
no-brainer nor complaining in general :-)

jmfauth

May 4, 2016, 10:44:42 AM5/4/16
to wxPython-users

Le mardi 3 mai 2016 23:54:55 UTC+2, Tim Roberts a écrit :
jmfauth wrote:
Today, there are no more working GUI toolkits for Python.
Probably, the single remaining options are:
Jython or IronPython.

I don't know what you were trying to say here, but as you have stated it that statement is just silly.  WxPython, Qt, and TkInter are all alive and well, as well as a plethora of smaller and more specialized toolkits.
--

Unicode, and in a broader view, everything which is related
to "characters". Python itsself is not ok.

Matt Newville

May 4, 2016, 11:15:14 AM5/4/16
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Scott Talbert <s...@techie.net> wrote:
On Tue, 3 May 2016, Matt Newville wrote:

I agree with the sentiment that it would be better to release Phoenix for
both Python 2 and 3 soon, even if there are known missing or crippled
features compared to Classic.  With only snapshot builds available, I think
that Phoenix is used much less than it could be.

I'm not sure why people are so scared of the snapshot builds.  :)  They are generally working pretty well, from my experience.

The snapshots seem to work OK for me too.  But they're not a release.  Honestly, they're even sort of hard to find assuming that one knows the Phoenix wiki page exists and actually reads it.

I do see several Issues and PRs on the github site, but I assume these
aren't the main problems standing in the way of release.   It would be nice
to see a more strategic and complete to-do list for release, if only to
understand what needs the most work.   Does such a list exist?

Well there is this:
https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/blob/master/TODO.txt

OK, thanks! That's helpful.

--Matt

Mark Lawrence

May 4, 2016, 11:16:09 AM5/4/16
to wxPython-users

Please everybody ignore this poster.  He's been banned from the main Python mailing list, where he is jokingly known as the RUE, the Resident Unicode Expert, as it is blatantly obvious that he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about.

 Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.

Robin Dunn

May 4, 2016, 2:45:02 PM5/4/16
to David Hughes, wxPython-users
David Hughes wrote:

> It's good to hear from you Robin. I think we all appreciate how busy you
> are. Like you, I've been involved in other things and have not had much
> time to follow the different wxPython-xxxx groups very closely recently,
> but in the last few weeks I have been converting my own (commercial)
> wxPython software to Python 3.4 & Phoenix. It has all gone pretty well
> and I have only a handful of issues to raise - some fairly trivial but
> one or two show stoppers - like the classes based on
> wx.lib.activex.ActiveXCtrl.
>
> I don't know the best place to report these. Maybe there should be a new
> group called *wxPython-phoenix* specifically for raising, discussing and
> generally keeping in touch - perhaps at the expense of wxPython-mac
> which has only received about six messages this year.

You can use the Phoenix project at Github,
https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix, for issues and patches (PRs). It's
easier for me to use github than wxTrac because there is a lot of noise
and spam happening there, and it's too easy for things to fall through
the cracks.

For general discussion of Phoenix development I think the wxPython-dev
mail list is fine.