wiki - contributing using git

Werner

Feb 24, 2015, 12:03:39 PM2/24/15
to wxPython-users

moo...@posteo.org

Feb 24, 2015, 5:47:20 PM2/24/15
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-02-24 18:03 Werner <wern...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> http://wiki.wxpython.org/ContributeWithGIT

Thank you very much.

I couldn't find a discussion-page for this article like I knew from
wikipedia, so I post my two comments here.

1.
The first point in the step-by-step list is
"git checkout master - switch to the master branch "

Where should the user does this? In the "trunk" right?
So after "clone" there should be a point/hint to step into ('cd') the
new created "Phoenix" directory.

2.
The upstream-thing doesn't work. Maybe it is about the connect to
github. It ask for ssh but I didn't set it up. And the URI doesn't look
like https.

[bash]user@MONSTER:~/share/work/Phoenix$ git remote add upstream
g...@github.com:RobinD42/Phoenix.git user@MONSTER:~/share/work/Phoenix$
git fetch upstream ssh: connect to host github.com port 22: Connection
refused fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

and the repository exists.
[/bash]

moo...@posteo.org

Feb 26, 2015, 10:52:48 PM2/26/15
On 2015-02-24 18:03 Werner <wern...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> http://wiki.wxpython.org/ContributeWithGIT

I am hanging at point 6.
git push happens without any action.

Before that I modified files (e.g. build.py), staged them (git add) and
then commited them. Every not in my branch ("mypatch").

git push ask me for a login to GitHub. I gave it and it tells me
"Everything up-to-date".

Looking at the github page it is logical for me. GitHub even don't know
my branch ("mypatch") so it sees no diff between my forked
master-branch ("BerlinNurse/Phoenix") and the upstream
("RobinD42/Phoenix").

So I don't want to make experiments now on this point. So what should I
do? Or which points do I missed before number 6?

Werner

Feb 27, 2015, 4:29:05 AM2/27/15
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You are pushing my 'git know how', but lets see.

On 2/27/2015 4:52, moo...@posteo.org wrote:
> On 2015-02-24 18:03 Werner <wern...@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> http://wiki.wxpython.org/ContributeWithGIT
> I am hanging at point 6.
> git push happens without any action.
>
> Before that I modified files (e.g. build.py), staged them (git add) and
> then commited them. Every not in my branch ("mypatch").
'build.py' is already in the git repo, so why 'git add'?

What do you mean by "Every not in my branch"?

When you do 'git status' are you in your 'mypatch' branch? In the
future you might want to name your branches more descriptive, e.g.
'buildChanges', as over time you will have many and then finding the
right one can be a challenge:)

> git push ask me for a login to GitHub. I gave it and it tells me
> "Everything up-to-date".
Looking at: https://github.com/BerlinNurse/Phoenix your 'mypatch' branch
is not there.

'git push' from within 'mypatch' should have pushed it, alternatively
you could do:

'git push origin mypatch'

https://help.github.com/articles/pushing-to-a-remote/

> Looking at the github page it is logical for me. GitHub even don't know
> my branch ("mypatch") so it sees no diff between my forked
> master-branch ("BerlinNurse/Phoenix") and the upstream
> ("RobinD42/Phoenix").
Yes, BerlinNurse/Phoenix should have your branch 'mypatch', so it looks
to me like the problem is with the 'push'.

Werner

moo...@posteo.org

Feb 27, 2015, 5:28:22 PM2/27/15
On 2015-02-27 10:28 Werner <wern...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> What do you mean by "Every not in my branch"?

Sorry, a typo.

The problem was the config field "push.default".

I am using git 1.9.1. And calling "git push" give me a long text
message about this option. There are 5 different possible values.
I understand nothing of it or some of the options sounds the same as
the other. I used "current" and it work.

The question is which value do you prefere for "push.default" that
workflow? We should add a hint about that to the wiki page.

And which git-version do you use?

Werner

Feb 28, 2015, 6:11:34 AM2/28/15
On 2/27/2015 23:28, moo...@posteo.org wrote:
> On 2015-02-27 10:28 Werner <wern...@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> What do you mean by "Every not in my branch"?
> Sorry, a typo.
>
> The problem was the config field "push.default".
>
> I am using git 1.9.1. And calling "git push" give me a long text
> message about this option. There are 5 different possible values.
> I understand nothing of it or some of the options sounds the same as
> the other. I used "current" and it work.
Where did you set 'push.default'? Based on the git doc I thought it
would by default push the current branch and one has to tell it if one
wants to do something else.

It is probably another reason why I prefer to work with a UI, until
recently that was TortoiseGit on Win, now I use just about only
SourceTree and SmartGitHG on Linux (the non commercial license).

> The question is which value do you prefere for "push.default" that
> workflow? We should add a hint about that to the wiki page.
>
> And which git-version do you use?
1.9.5

Werner