wxPython3.0-win64-docs-demos.exe

Bob Klahn

Mar 21, 2017, 8:32:59 PM3/21/17
to wxPython users
Will someone on the development team please create the subject
installer? It should be right there on page
https://wxpython.org/download.php . I'm amazed that it's not there
already.

What's the big deal? Why should people with 64-bit machines have to do
more (e.g., go after bz2-compatible software) than people with 32-bit
machines need to?

Karsten Hilbert

Mar 22, 2017, 6:22:11 AM3/22/17
to wxPython users
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 08:32:40PM -0400, Bob Klahn wrote:

> Will someone on the development team please create the subject installer?
> It should be right there on page https://wxpython.org/download.php . I'm
> amazed that it's not there already.
>
> What's the big deal?

Thanks a lot for your offer to help with that !

Best regards,
Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Bob Klahn

Mar 22, 2017, 9:58:49 AM3/22/17
to wxPython users
Karsten, I'm confused: whose offer are you referring to? I've made no
offer, and I can't help, as I have no idea how to create the needed
wxPython3.0-win64-docs-demos.exe installer.

If the existing wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe installer works on a
64-bit system (I don't know if it's safe to try it), then "32" shouldn't
be part of its name, its name should be just
wxPython3.0-win-docs-demos.exe .

???

Karsten Hilbert

Mar 22, 2017, 10:30:53 AM3/22/17
to wxPython users
On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 09:58:30AM -0400, Bob Klahn wrote:

> Karsten, I'm confused: whose offer are you referring to? I've made no
> offer, and I can't help, as I have no idea how to create the needed
> wxPython3.0-win64-docs-demos.exe installer.
>
> If the existing wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe installer works on a 64-bit
> system (I don't know if it's safe to try it), then "32" shouldn't be part of
> its name, its name should be just wxPython3.0-win-docs-demos.exe .

Oh, then I might have misunderstood something. Your making it
abundantly clear that you wish for something to be done for
you that no one has yet gotten around to providing for free
in their spare time led me to believe you were willing to
help with that in any way you can, say,

posting links to documentation that might be useful

describing the problem you wish to solve with what you
ask for (maybe there's another solution)

offering testing and feedback

cheering up developers

trying to find out whether "wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe
installer works on a 64-bit"

I must have misunderstood, sorry.

Bob Klahn

Mar 22, 2017, 11:04:57 AM3/22/17
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
My sincere apologies, I have no desire to offend. wxPython is a truly
wonderful package. I thought that what I'm asking for was a simple
matter, and I was frustrated, as I shouldn't have been, by the lack of
response to my earlier request for this, or at least for a clarification.

Re "trying to find out whether "wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe
installer works on a 64-bit," I'm afraid to try it. Perhaps I shouldn't
be, but I am.

Mike Driscoll

Mar 22, 2017, 11:11:20 AM3/22/17
On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Bob Klahn <bobk...@comcast.net> wrote:
My sincere apologies, I have no desire to offend.  wxPython is a truly wonderful package.  I thought that what I'm asking for was a simple matter, and I was frustrated, as I shouldn't have been, by the lack of response to my earlier request for this, or at least for a clarification.

Re "trying to find out whether "wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe installer works on a 64-bit," I'm afraid to try it.  Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I am.

You can install 32-bit programs on 64-bit operating systems without issue. That installer just installs a few folders with Python scripts in them. The demo scripts aren't tied to 32 or 64-bit systems and should run the same regardless. They just use whichever Python is installed.

So you should be able to run that installer without issue. I know I have never had problems with it.

Mike

-----------------
Mike Driscoll

Blog:   http://blog.pythonlibrary.org
Books: Python 101Python 201: Intermediate Python

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal

Mar 22, 2017, 11:13:45 AM3/22/17
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
> Re "trying to find out whether "wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe installer works on a 64-bit," I'm afraid to try it. Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I am.

Nothing to be afraid of -- worst case scenario it won't work :-)

And it probably will.

In which case, you are right the easiest fix is to rename the installer.

Note that Robin is pretty much the only one who changes this sort of
thing-- and most of us would probably be happier that he focuses what
time he has for wxPytjon on Phoenix.

-CHB

>> On 3/22/2017 10:30 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>>> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 09:58:30AM -0400, Bob Klahn wrote:
>>>
>>> Karsten, I'm confused: whose offer are you referring to? I've made no
>>> offer, and I can't help, as I have no idea how to create the needed
>>> wxPython3.0-win64-docs-demos.exe installer.
>>>
>>> If the existing wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe installer works on a 64-bit
>>> system (I don't know if it's safe to try it), then "32" shouldn't be part of
>>> its name, its name should be just wxPython3.0-win-docs-demos.exe .
>> Oh, then I might have misunderstood something. Your making it
>> abundantly clear that you wish for something to be done for
>> you that no one has yet gotten around to providing for free
>> in their spare time led me to believe you were willing to
>> help with that in any way you can, say,
>>
>> posting links to documentation that might be useful
>>
>> describing the problem you wish to solve with what you
>> ask for (maybe there's another solution)
>>
>> offering testing and feedback
>>
>> cheering up developers
>>
>> trying to find out whether "wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe
>> installer works on a 64-bit"
>>
>> I must have misunderstood, sorry.
>>
>> Karsten

Karsten Hilbert

Mar 22, 2017, 11:37:12 AM3/22/17
On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:04:37AM -0400, Bob Klahn wrote:

> My sincere apologies, I have no desire to offend. wxPython is a truly
> wonderful package. I thought that what I'm asking for was a simple matter,
> and I was frustrated, as I shouldn't have been, by the lack of response to
> my earlier request for this, or at least for a clarification.

No offense taken.

> Re "trying to find out whether "wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe installer
> works on a 64-bit," I'm afraid to try it. Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I am.

Nothing to be ashamed off, I suppose. I couldn't tell either
whether it works or not. I really doubt it would break
anything but then one never knows. Do you happen to be able
to spin up a virtual machine ?

As for "maybe there's another solution": the demo code is
just Python code so any package will do, say one where you
can just manually unpack an archive.

HTH,

Mike Driscoll

Mar 22, 2017, 12:17:38 PM3/22/17
On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten...@gmx.net> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:04:37AM -0400, Bob Klahn wrote:

> My sincere apologies, I have no desire to offend.  wxPython is a truly
> wonderful package.  I thought that what I'm asking for was a simple matter,
> and I was frustrated, as I shouldn't have been, by the lack of response to
> my earlier request for this, or at least for a clarification.

No offense taken.

> Re "trying to find out whether "wxPython3.0-win32-docs-demos.exe installer
> works on a 64-bit," I'm afraid to try it.  Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I am.

Nothing to be ashamed off, I suppose. I couldn't tell either
whether it works or not. I really doubt it would break
anything but then one never knows. Do you happen to be able
to spin up a virtual machine ?

As for "maybe there's another solution": the demo code is
just Python code so any package will do, say one where you
can just manually unpack an archive.

HTH,
Karsten

I'm pretty sure I've used it on Windows 10 64-bit with no problems whatsoever.