C binding thoughts

billt

Aug 21, 2011, 12:19:47 AM8/21/11
to wx-dev
In looking around for a C binding to WxWidgets, all I found was wxc on
sourceforge, which seems old and abandoned. A person relevant to that
project suggested looking into using hte WxWidgets documentation
system to generate code rather than html output. Where do I look to
get some idea how to do such a thing? Is that reasonable?

Vadim Zeitlin

Aug 21, 2011, 7:39:46 AM8/21/11
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 21:19:47 -0700 (PDT) billt <amig...@gmail.com> wrote:

b> In looking around for a C binding to WxWidgets, all I found was wxc on
b> sourceforge, which seems old and abandoned. A person relevant to that
b> project suggested looking into using hte WxWidgets documentation
b> system to generate code rather than html output. Where do I look to
b> get some idea how to do such a thing? Is that reasonable?

You want to look at the files under interface/wx (in wx 2.9 only) that
define the public library interface. These files can be parsed to doxygen
so you could, for example, use its XML output and then generate wrappers
automatically from it. Or maybe you could generate wrappers directly using
SWIG[-like] tool.

Regards,
VZ

Eric Kow

Jan 14, 2012, 12:38:55 PM1/14/12
to wx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill, hi all,

On Sunday, 21 August 2011 05:19:47 UTC+1, billt wrote:
In looking around for a C binding to WxWidgets, all I found was wxc on
sourceforge, which seems old and abandoned.

I'm loosely associated to the wxHaskell project, which has received a rather strong burst of activity lately and which is maintaining its own wxC binding.  We actually have control of the wxc SF project and have been wondering if we should properly split off our wxc stuff and work to make it language agnostic, or if it's better to just focus on meeting wxHaskell's needs.

Here's a blog post from our maintainer http://wewantarock.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/who-is-my-community/ wondering for example if there is any interest out there, and if we take steps like switching from a Haskell-specific build system to something more neutral.

So if you're interested, please post a comment on that blog post, or if you'd rather use email, try wxhaskell-users on sourceforge or even just send me a message directly :-)

A person relevant to that
project suggested looking into using hte WxWidgets documentation
system to generate code rather than html output. Where do I look to
get some idea how to do such a thing? Is that reasonable?

That may have been me, and I was just repeating what somebody on the #wxwidgets channel suggested